Save Jesus

Need more veggies

Looking for a way to work more vegetables into my diet, either as a snack or part of a meal. Perhaps a simple recipe? It should have a shelf life of a few days or more so I can always have some around. Please don't suggest something austere like munching on carrot sticks and raw broccoli.

Also, can fruit displace vegetables?

mtbr member
    Throw baby spinach on almost anything you eat or just grab a handful and eat it.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    Looking for a way to work more vegetables into my diet, either as a snack or part of a meal. Perhaps a simple recipe? It should have a shelf life of a few days or more so I can always have some around. Please don't suggest something austere like munching on carrot sticks and raw broccoli.

Also, can fruit displace vegetables?

How do you introduce more vegetables into your diet? It's about as simple as it gets. Buy them and eat them. How do you prepare them? Broil, boil, steam, stir fry, grill, smoke, etc... . Simple recipes? About a million, billion, jillion available online, on food networks, in recipe books, etc... .

You want to keep it simple? You really don't need any recipes. Be creative. Learn to enjoy them in their natural state and a simple steaming of them is healthy and nutritious. Stir fry in a bit of olive oil and enjoy. Mix and match. Want to add flavor, get in the car and buzz over to Gilroy and get yourself a trunk load of their wonderful garlic. Add a dash of salt and pepper or whatever herbs you like and have on hand. Presto. Got a food processor? Use it. Got balsamic? Use it.

Just a few to start with for your epicurean delight....

Artichoke, Arugula, Asparagus, Avocado, Bell Peppers, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Chard, Corn, Cucumber, Daikon, Edamame, Eggplant, Endive, Fennel, Green Beans, Hearts of Palm, Jicama, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Okra, Onion
    Peas (Green, Snow, Sugar Snap), Pumpkin, Radicchio, Radishes, Rhubarb, Spinach, Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Zucchini
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 03-28-2011 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Kale or spinach in your smoothy.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I use Boku Superfood. Check it out.. No, I don't have any affiliation with the company..

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Been doing generic V-8 type of vegetable juice from dollar general... clover valley is their generic brand. Good way to get a serving of vegetables without worrying about spoilage.

mtbr member
    The staple vegetable for my wife and I is Spinach. Lots of ways to use it:
    -In a salad with chopped strawberries and mixed nuts
    -Scramble it with your eggs
    -Stick it in your sandwiches
    -Cook it with just about anything, but stick it in late in the cooking process

Also like red potatoes (or sweet potato if in season), bell peppers, and avocado. We buy some other veggies (onions, cilantro, etc.) but those seem to serve more as condiments, to me.

As far as fruits: apples, mandarin oranges, bananas, strawberries, and blueberries are on our regular shopping list. If we buy any more than this, then stuff goes bad before we get a chance to finish it. Apple, oranges and bananas are real easy to throw in your work/school bag before leaving the house. This helps minimize bad food choices when you're out on the road.

I think it is important to eliminate poor food choices in the home as well, because if there is a bag of Chips-A-Hoy or Oreos in the house, it will win everytime. And in the mean time, you have your good food going bad. So we don't even buy the junk food.....at all. Some whole grain bread, Nutella, and milk did wonders for the sugar fix; it pretty much replaced my cookie addiction.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Red romaine on your sandwiches

Carrots at the office

Consult South Beach Diet for very good recipes...I kid you not. Tasteful and healthy.

mtbr member
    Well...not to be too austere, but carrots and celery make a great side to just about anything. I replace french fries with carrots at my college cafeteria and I really don't miss the fries after a short while. That plus lots off onion, tomato and lettuce on sandwiches should do ya.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout
    Red romaine on your sandwiches

Carrots at the office
    Consult South Beach Diet for very good recipes...I kid you not. Tasteful and healthy.

I read that as "Carrots in the coffee". No idea why, but thought..."That guy is nuts.."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've spent much of the winter learning to eat more. I've gotten to where I have a salad with lunch AND dinner every day. I've been experimenting with what works for me to eat them. Getting them ready-to-eat has been my key. Helps that I actually like veggies -- I just get tired of fixing them. Basically, just do it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desnaephoto
    I've spent much of the winter learning to eat more. I've gotten to where I have a salad with lunch AND dinner every day. I've been experimenting with what works for me to eat them. Getting them ready-to-eat has been my key. Helps that I actually like veggies -- I just get tired of fixing them. Basically, just do it!
    That is my biggest problem-- the preparation of veggies. I love to eat veggies, but cutting up the celery, raddishes, etc gets to be annoying. I go in the pantry and grab a handful of cashews- I wish veggies were that easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb
    That is my biggest problem-- the preparation of veggies. I love to eat veggies, but cutting up the celery, raddishes, etc gets to be annoying. I go in the pantry and grab a handful of cashews- I wish veggies were that easy.
    They can be. Pre-cut and washed stuff. Easy to get. Start with that. Then my wallet screamed at me. Then just spend 20-30 min 1-2x a week prepping them. Put a little lemon juice on them to prevent browning (works on fruit, should work here). You get faster with practice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb
    I wish veggies were that easy.
    Frozen vegetables. Cook over medium heat with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper. Occasionally stir. Easy-peasy. Tasty. Healthy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    drink them, Green Goodness or Green Machine is my Reco. of course juicing your own is always the best choice

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    How do you introduce more vegetables into your diet? It's about as simple as it gets. Buy them and eat them. How do you prepare them? Broil, boil, steam, stir fry, grill, smoke, etc... . Simple recipes? About a million, billion, jillion available online, on food networks, in recipe books, etc... .

You want to keep it simple? You really don't need any recipes. Be creative. Learn to enjoy them in their natural state and a simple steaming of them is healthy and nutritious. Stir fry in a bit of olive oil and enjoy. Mix and match. Want to add flavor, get in the car and buzz over to Gilroy and get yourself a trunk load of their wonderful garlic. Add a dash of salt and pepper or whatever herbs you like and have on hand. Presto. Got a food processor? Use it. Got balsamic? Use it.

Just a few to start with for your epicurean delight....

Artichoke, Arugula, Asparagus, Avocado, Bell Peppers, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Chard, Corn, Cucumber, Daikon, Edamame, Eggplant, Endive, Fennel, Green Beans, Hearts of Palm, Jicama, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Okra, Onion
    Peas (Green, Snow, Sugar Snap), Pumpkin, Radicchio, Radishes, Rhubarb, Spinach, Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Zucchini
    +1 Great post.

Save Jesus
    I am culinarily lazy, so having to cook up stuff is hit or miss.

Aside from any vegetables that naturally show up in my food, I have occasionally resorted to the following things:
    Canned collard greens (low sodium)
    V8 (low sodium)
    Broccoli salad (from Safeway)
    Frozen veggies from Trader Joe's (with butter sauce, yum)
    Broccoli + oil + seasoning + toaster oven

I tend not to buy that many raw vegetables coz I just look at it and think, "yeah, I don't wanna eat that..." or "how can I surround it with meat and fat to make it palatable?"

Also, that Boku Superfood reminds me of this thing my Mom used to use about 2 decades ago called "BarleyGreen", which was some green powder that made vile concoctions.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    I am culinarily lazy, so having to cook up stuff is hit or miss.

Aside from any vegetables that naturally show up in my food, I have occasionally resorted to the following things:
    Canned collard greens (low sodium)
    V8 (low sodium)
    Broccoli salad (from Safeway)
    Frozen veggies from Trader Joe's (with butter sauce, yum)
    Broccoli + oil + seasoning + toaster oven

I tend not to buy that many raw vegetables coz I just look at it and think, "yeah, I don't wanna eat that..." or "how can I surround it with meat and fat to make it palatable?"

Also, that Boku Superfood reminds me of this thing my Mom used to use about 2 decades ago called "BarleyGreen", which was some green powder that made vile concoctions.
    You really don't want to put any - if at all possible - crapola on your veggies. And the 2 easiest ways of cooking them are also the best in terms of maintaining the nutrients, texture, flavor and color found in vegetables. When they get cooked too long, the nutrients dissipate and you may as well learn to cook them right. If colors are faded, things are limp - forget about it. You've overcooked them. Too many nutrients will then be gone, they won't be as flavorful and blech...

#1 best way - IMO

Steam 'em.

Get a saucepan with a lid and a colander or a steamer basket. A bit of water (1/4" to 1/2" in the bottom of the saucepan) and steam away. Need help?

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/tips...a/steaming.htm

#2 best way - IMO

Stir fry 'em.

No, you don't need a wok (although they are great). A nice frying pan will do. Need help? Again, they retain their texture, flavor, color and nutrients.

I was surly to you in my first response since you live in Palo Alto, CA - a state well known as being one of the best vegetable and fruit states in the nation. In other words, your location and question is akin to a man in China wanting to know how to introduce rice into their diet.

Having lived in CA (Walnut Creek), shopped, eaten, cooked, etc... - it's all available all around you. Have at it. If you can read - you can cook. It's really that simple. Adjusting your rear derailleur is more difficult than cooking any vegetable that grows on this planet - so I know you can do it.

BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We've got a meal in our house called "The Big *ss Salad" which is exactly what it sounds like ... chop every veggie in the crisper and toss it in a giant bowl. Eat it with breakfast, lunch and dinner - just throw some balsamic vinaigrette and you've got your side.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Easiest way IMO: V8 juice. Buy one big plastic bottle; when that is gone, refill with the big metal cans (cheaper than the plastic bottles). Keep it in the refrigerator and knock back a glass or two a few times a day.

You can try the low sodium version but I find the regular stuff more tasty.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Dinner for me most nights is some sort of stir fry. You can put just about anything in them and it is quick. Broccoli, green beans, kale, chard, carrots, onion, garlic, etc. Some soy sauce/tamari or liquid aminos, grated ginger, and chili makes a good quick sauce. Super easy and delicious.

Also, don't overcook the veggies. They taste better and are better for you with a little crunch.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    I was doing v8 spicy hot for health with the kick, but it recently disappeared off the shelf.
    I hope they keep making it, the regular v8 seems lame to me now. Maybe I'll add my own cayanne.

Save Jesus
    There's plenty of spicy V8 around me, although I don't like the taste. You can also try adding tabasco or Worcestershire sauce.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=beanbag] "how can I surround it with meat and fat to make it palatable?"QUOTE]

You had me absolutely rolling with this quote!

Members who have read this thread: 0