mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Need more fitness!

I've 10 days left till my toughest race of the season. An 80km, 2500 M of elevation suffer fest. What's my best bet for a fitness boost for the event?
    I read somewhere that it takes 10 days for the body to build fitness after the training so I better get cracking!
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What your fitness level is at the moment is where you will be in ten days. At this point a crash course playing catch up in training will probably only hinder your race performance. Since this race is an endurathon (froms the sounds of it), I would actually start to ramp things down a bit and let your body and mind get some rest...assuming that you have been training all along. Plus come race day as many of us have experienced, it is amazing how much you can pull out of your ass when needed

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    You have 3 options:

1. Ride an 80km & 2500M of elevation every day for 10 days
    2. Drugs
    3. Keep doing what you're doing and reap what you've spent all season building towards

As it pertains to #3, rocdog is pretty much saying, "You haven't started tapering already?! You should."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'd hoped to go on an epic ride today and then start tapering but my business is really busy and I can't get away early today. Maybe a 2 hour jog after supper is all I'll get and then I'll eat and taper for the next week. I did an endurance event on the 26th so hopefully that'll help. I didn't have any chaffing or hotfoot like I thought I might but I did have some cramping issues with my Hamstrings.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Cramping never good. How long was the last event?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I did an 8 hour XC race but only lasted 7 hours.

i worship Mr T

Epo

Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    I've 10 days left till my toughest race of the season. An 80km, 2500 M of elevation suffer fest. What's my best bet for a fitness boost for the event?
    I read somewhere that it takes 10 days for the body to build fitness after the training so I better get cracking!
    as others have said, where you are now is pretty much where you're going to be in 10 days. no sense in going nuts trying to train, all you'll do is tire yourself out. keep doing what you've been doing and race as well as you can.

good luck.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey thanks all. I'm not too worried about the race as I'll have a blast no matter how fast I'm going. For people who appreciate beautiful scenery this is gonna be tough to beat. I wonder why they call it the stairway to heaven?
    Check it out....www.bow80.com

Members who have read this thread: 0