mtbr member
    May 2005

Need help, an old (45 y/o) figuring out his xc cockpit.

Hi all, first of all im not new to mtb. Been riding bikes for more than 10 years,but not an xc bike. I ride long travel bikes, mostly going down (all mountain type of riding). After a crash (broke my collar bone into 3 pcs), my wife and i agreed, i can only ride a bike but not on that discipline, thus, i entered xc. This is my question now, hope you could help me. I bought a Niner EMD frame large, im 6 feet at 170 lbs..set up my bike with 100mm stem, 0 rise and a 170mm with 10deg sweep flat bar. I feel cramped in the bike, due to my lower back issue, i opted to ride more stretched (flat back) but i cant achieve this with this set up, 10deg sweep of flatbar feel so uncomfortable to me too.,im thinking of two things, either having a longer stem or changing my bar with minimal sweep or change both of them.Ive tried installing my sweep back seat post, but i feel so rearward...which do you think would give a better result? a longer stem or a straighter bar (less sweep)? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Where your seat is should not at all be decided by how streched out you feel. It's decided by the length of your legs and where your knees are in your pedal rotation. I can't type all the details because people make careers out of fitting people to bikes so I would go get some kind of bike fit at least to figure out the motor (your legs) portion. As for a longer than 100mm stem, I wouldn't go any longer because you can get wonky handling. If your feeling cramped I would try to get as much drop from your saddle to bars as possible. But you could be having back pain because you're too stretched out.

Bottom line. Go get your bit fit by a professional totally worth the cash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm pretty much the same size, 6', 165 lbs, 51 years old. I ride and race a large Santa Cruz Blur XCc converted to 27.5 wheels. The Blur' s top tube is longish around 24.2", I run a 120mm stem with a Easton low rise bar with I believe a 9 sweep. I v e been running a set up similar to this for the last ten years, a longer stem doesn't always mean "wonky steering" as one poster put it. Stems are fairly inexpensive or some shops have some laying around. I would try a couple of different stems to find out what works for you.
    Anything you'll read about proper bike fit is just a generalized suggestion of where to start, we're all different and what works for your body proportions may not work with someone of the same or similar proportions

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by roel View Post
    im thinking of two things, either having a longer stem or changing my bar with minimal sweep or change both of them.Ive tried installing my sweep back seat post, but i feel so rearward...which do you think would give a better result? a longer stem or a straighter bar (less sweep)?
    Short answer #1: both
    Short answer #2: one of the other

I'd start with a stem swap since they are usually less expensive than a new bar. Try 105, 110, 120mm to see if any of those solve the fit and get you in a comfy stretched out position. You would be suprised how much difference a centimeter or two can do (in a good way). Your LBS should have some you could try out and return the ones you don't need when you settle on which one fits the best.

If the stem swap fails, then I would move on to a bar with less sweep which may also require a longer stem than the 100mm you currently have. A 5 or 6 degree stem also gives you the chance to flip/flop positive negative and lengthen (flipped negative) or shorten (flipped positive) the cockpit without changing anything else.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi all. Thanks to all the inputs here, id like to start with a longer flippable stem, thinking of niner 110mm stem. Hope i could find that sweet spot..thanks.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    "Bottom line. Go get your bit fit by a professional totally worth the cash."

Do this and you'll save yourself a lot of time and expense.

Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree with having a pro bike fit although I've never had one done. Again, about anything you read as well as having a bike fit is just a suggestion. I have friends that had a pro bike fit, but went back to what they were riding, because, the fit showed promise in the studio, higher wattage, less fatigue, etc, didn't translate for them in their real world, but I think they all got something from it.