mtbr member

Need Help on Long Climb!

Hi, I always have problem doing long climb especially at the last leg of the ride or race. Either my legs could not pedal anymore or my lung short of breath. What training routine should I do to overcome this?

I am a weekend warrior, can only ride on weekends.

My current training routines are as follows:
    1. Sunday: XC ride in bike park 21 km
    2. Monday: Trainer 30 min, squatting with light weight
    3. Tuesday: Trainer 1 hour, push-up, sit-up
    4. Wednesday: Trainer 30 min, squatting with light weight
    5. Thursday: Trainer 1 hour, push-up, sit-up
    6. Friday: Rest
    7. Saturday: XC ride in park park 21 km

Any advise? How about diet? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Need Help on Long Climb!

Could be lots of possibilities. I would say lose weight if you have any to lose. Use trainer workouts to work on muscular endurance and power. Add time to your weekend rides.

This is a really broad question and there are lots of possible answers. Pick a weakness (endurance, power, strength, etc) of yours and work on it for a month then reevaluate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What part of your season are you in now?

Is this a year round problem or race season?

+1 on weight loss, but other thing to consider is how long to get up these climbs? 30s, 1m, 5m?

One thing is you just need a bigger engine to get to climb in better shape The Next Level ~ Hunter Allen Power Blog

It could also be you lack power in certain range, for example, there is a climb that is unique to my area in beginning of season that I wrestle up in a 32/32 for the most part for 3m.

For conditioning, best thing I can do fitness wise is VO2 max intervals 6x3m (work on 3m power). Technique wise (pedaling/spinning) , find short steep hills to practice cadence

mtbr member
    I need about 20-30 minutes just to warm up for a high intensity workout, so I am wondering if 30 minutes on the trainer can be an effective workout. Regardless, I think you need a more volume, longer hours in the saddle.

And as mentioned above, throw in vo2max intervals.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    Any advise? How about diet? Thanks!
    1. Ride lots, Ride consistently.
    2. integrate long hills into your ride. You don't even have to ride them hard IMO (even riding easy, you automatically go into Tempo zone, which is pretty beneficial).
    3. Lose weight.

As far as diet, take process foods out of it. The Paleo diet is what I try to follow. I know some Vegans who've lost tons of weight, but I cannot do without meat.

Since you're using a lot of trainer, they say to raise the front wheel a bit to simulate the hill climb position.

I've been a pretty decent hill climber, even though I don't have a climber build at all. And I think it's because I have access to long climbs right out my door, some as long as 2 hours.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Since you don't get much saddle time, I'd drop the resistance training and re-allocate that time to the bike/trainer. 60 minutes of structured intervals (that includes 10-15 min warm-up and cool-down) will have a greater impact on *cycling* conditioning than the time spent resistance training.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    #1 are you sure you are getting enough recovery?
    #2 How long is your longest race? (in minutes)

I'd increase the weight and change up the exercises used. So, "Bulgarian Squat" and deadlift. 5-10 reps works for me. For me, I don't bulk-up unless I go to <5 reps. I know some will howl that it is not the One Right Way to train, but works for me.

It takes some time to adapt the weight training to cycling. I vary the weight training time so some weeks have more on-bike time. I get better cycling adaptation that way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I suggest search on this forum... or any other forum as this "issue" is well hashed out.

Climbing is all about the watts to kilograms ratio. Improve watts, decrease kilos or preferably both.

At a glance, your volume is low. You say you can only ride on weekends but can manage trainer time? Increasing either the time, intensity or frequency of training will help. This needs to balanced with correct recovery and rest. This is highly personal depending on what other demands you have. An hour on the trainer is more than enough to work some serious pain at time and make some quantifiable gains.

Diet is too broad a topic to give specifics without taking a complete history from you. The general advice usually works however - lots of fresh fruit, veges, meats/fish and cut out processed foods. If trying to drop weight then don't drink calories.

Generally on a climb greater than ~2 minutes then you'll primarily be aerobic. The question then is what is the current limiter to improving your performance? Sometimes it will be the supply of oxygen to the muscles, other times it will be muscles lacking the mitochondria density to make use of the oxygen supplied, or removal of metabolites or buffering of lactate etc. This is where the variety of training comes in to work these various aspects. Then when the early gains are gone then begins a more focused approach - periodisation. This can be done yourself or you can get a coach to help.

And again, @asphalt_jesus... where on earth do you get this stuff? I am not against strength training. There is a lot of good things about strength training, the main one being it gets you strong. The OP has no way given an indication that he is strength limited for cycling (though very few people are). As for the rep ranges and types of exercise.... Keep up with the personal anecdotes constituting accepted and sound training advice.

For those who are considering strength training, this is a good summary of the expected adaptations from the rep/loads undertaken:-

mtbr member

Need Help on Long Climb!

The main thing that I'd concentrate on would be the two XC rides that you do at the weekend. They're where you do the bulk of your riding so you want to really make them count.

If they're with a group mountain bike rides have a nasty habit of being very stop start, so that you're not really trying hard a lot of the time. You spend time outdoors but don't get much fitness benefit from it.

Make a point of not stopping on the weekend rides if you can avoid it. Try and keep pedalling throughout the entire ride without long breaks, especially at the top of hills.

If you're doing turbo trainer sessions you could try some of the workouts posted in this thread.

Training for the whole next season...on a trainer?!?!?

mtbr member
    Thanks all for all the awesome advice!

Down here, we only have one season all year round - summer!

The XC race I normally participate is about 50km with heaps of short and long tortuous climb that last between 1 minute to 10 minutes (I am slow). I will work on improving watts and reducing kilos. Road bike is out of question as it is too dangerous to ride on the road in this part of the World. Think I need to increase saddle hours on trainer, and stretch weekend trail rides to 30km.

My KPI will be XC race position and timing. Hopefully I can achieve top 150 in my next race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    #1 are you sure you are getting enough recovery?
    #2 How long is your longest race? (in minutes)

I'd increase the weight and change up the exercises used. So, "Bulgarian Squat" and deadlift. 5-10 reps works for me. For me, I don't bulk-up unless I go to <5 reps. I know some will howl that it is not the One Right Way to train, but works for me.

It takes some time to adapt the weight training to cycling. I vary the weight training time so some weeks have more on-bike time. I get better cycling adaptation that way.
    You do get high marks for consistency. As in consistently giving bad advice.
    Last edited by serious; 11-26-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Chris; how long have you been doing your routine? I find that even short hill repeats are valuable. There aren't any long hills near me, but I do up to 10 repeats on the 1.5 minute hard hill in the loop I ride regularly. I don't ride do repeats on the local 7 minute road hill as often as I should, I much prefer to ride dirt, I need to do that longer road hill more often.
    As for diet; cut out the junk and soda, I lost about 10 pounds in a year (after being a little bit fat and very slow a few years ago) just by nearly eliminating the daily coke. Cut out the pizza buffet and burgers&fries, and you'll be on your way to race weight.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    I'm no scientist but outside of his stationary trainer, he's only riding 21 km, 2x/week and his races are 50 km--and I'm sure at a higher intensity than what he's training at just for the fact they are races, which are intense. I only get to ride 2x, maybe 3x per week and I just increased the distance/time I rode. I figured that if I rode at least as far as my races were on at least one of those rides, I'd do fine. Doing that alone made a huge difference for me this past season. I bet if he did one ride a week that was around 50 km, he'd see an improvement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good point, and I agree, at least one ride per week (or every two weeks bare minimum?) should be roughly race duration, if not a bit more.

mtbr member
    I started the training routines only recently after recovering from broken ankle 6 months ago. Will target to ride 50 km during one of the weekend rides. Thanks guys!