mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Need help choosing a bike

I am not new to mountain bikes, just new to racing. I am wanting to get a 29er hardtail to race on this season, just not sure what is good for me. I have been riding my road bike and putting some hours in on the trainer this winter in hopes of getting my body in shape for the races, now I need a bike that will be good enough to race on.

I have been doing research and just would like to hear everyone's thoughts on what would be the best fit for this newbie.

thanks in advance,
    Josh

mtbr member
    How much do you want to spend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A couple of ideas. Get a budget, don't tie yourself to one brand. Shop Ebay and watch bikes you have interest before buying, always more will be posted. Look at closeouts, great time of year to do that. Build relationship with local shop, they or their close friends may be looking to get rid of last years race bike and usually get a well maintained improved or stock bike. Fortunate to know my local pros even though I am a slow master racer. I buy last years bike, which is awesome, then sell it myself at the end of the season. Most times it works out to be only a model year old. Everybody wins. Local pro gets cash, I ride great bike next buyer get a great price on a used bike. etc.

mtbr member
    As light as as possible within your budget with a geometry that's comfortable to you personally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would like to stay in the 2,000-2,500 max. I am not brand loyal. I have a an old 2005 Trek mountain bike and 2011 Specialized road bike, so as long as the bike does what it needs I am down to ride it. I have even entertained buying a carbon frame after reading that huge thread about the cheap china made carbon 29er frames that others have had some good results on.

I know a lot of the road guys say if I am going to race my road bike then to not go below a 105 groupo, and that being said are there levels I should stay above in components, brakes, and fronot forks when looking to race?

Thanks for helping out this newbie,
    Josh

mtbr member
    My pick would be a carbon fiber Santa Cruz Highball. But, you can't go wrong with any of the good 29er mountain bikes in that price range. Which ever one feels best should be the one.

mtbr member
    ^I don't ride a 29er myself but there's a racing legend around here rocking a carbon Highball and it looks like a great frame with top notch components right out of the box. And honestly it's one of the best looking racing hardtails out there atm.

Still keep an eye out for anything else, this is just a suggestion based on someone else's experience.

Edit: Might go substantially over budget, however.

Edit2: Actually i just found out he's selling it for $1800 so... used is very much within budget.
    Last edited by voodoo5; 01-18-2013 at 02:52 AM.