Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Nasty work out!

  1. #1
    On your left!!!!!
    Reputation: saviour machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    330

    Nasty work out!

    This may have been posted before but If not give It a try. 10" on 20" off x 40. On the trainer. Try to keep a cadence of 80 to 90 rpm's. warm up for 10' to 15'. You will be sick to your stomach the first time you do this, c/x season is coming up and this will help big time. I go big on the weekends(8 to 12 hours) so I keep my weekday training short and sweet. Do this workout once a week only. My name is Saviour machine and I approve this workout.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!




    Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

  2. #2
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Thats kinda like opposite Tabata intervals. They are 20sec on 10sec off x 8. I usually do a couple or few sets.

    Im too ADD to do long hard intervals. The super short ones are exciting and easy to keep focus. Supposedly, getting your body into that extreme state of O2 debt, increases VO2 max at a faster rate than other forms of training.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Poncharelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,199
    The on-off time for microbursts/tabathas is really dependent on what you want. If you're shooting for consistent high power outputs (700+ Watts) then a shorter "on" time makes more sense. When training for crits, I use 5s on, 25 off (zone 2 actually). Pretty easy at first, then becomes difficult after 3 minutes or so, if your hitting the high wattage targets. It very much mimics the power profile of a hard crit.

    10s on, 20s off will eventually result in a lower peak power compared to the above. This really does sound good for cross.

    20s on, 10s off eventually falls into the VO2max average range after a while I imagine. 20s is a very hard long sprint, IME, especially when you hit a hard jump (900W+) on the start. Therefore, high wattage becomes unsustainable.

    In general, highest possible FTP always helps, which gives you more usable power for the general onslaught, regardless of racing type (MTB, crits, cross). Which is better served with other workouts.

    MIxing in a tabatha day and an FTP day, once a week, has to be the ticket for leading into a nice cross peak.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 09-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour machine View Post
    This may have been posted before but If not give It a try. 10" on 20" off x 40. On the trainer. Try to keep a cadence of 80 to 90 rpm's. warm up for 10' to 15'. You will be sick to your stomach the first time you do this, c/x season is coming up and this will help big time. I go big on the weekends(8 to 12 hours) so I keep my weekday training short and sweet. Do this workout once a week only. My name is Saviour machine and I approve this workout.
    Do you actually complete 40 of these intervals without tapering off? At what intensity do you do them?

  5. #5
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,711
    The hardest workout I did this season was a classic tabata on the road bike prior to a XC time trial.

    Code:
    3x
      20x
        20 sec all out
        10 sec rest
      10 min rest
    Keep in mind that some 20 seconds just happened to occurs on downhills so the workout trained high RPM as well as short hill bursts, accelerations, etc.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  6. #6
    On your left!!!!!
    Reputation: saviour machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    Do you actually complete 40 of these intervals without tapering off? At what intensity do you do them?
    Yes, I do 40 of them non stop. I do these all out. I stay seated and try to spin up to 80 to 100 rpms. I always think by 25 that I'm not going to be able to do 40 but I get through It.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!




    Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

  7. #7
    On your left!!!!!
    Reputation: saviour machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Thats kinda like opposite Tabata intervals. They are 20sec on 10sec off x 8. I usually do a couple or few sets.

    Im too ADD to do long hard intervals. The super short ones are exciting and easy to keep focus. Supposedly, getting your body into that extreme state of O2 debt, increases VO2 max at a faster rate than other forms of training.
    I've done the 20sec on 10sec off x 10 but I like the 10 on 20 off x 40 better. Seems to work better for me. Really helps me come out of a corner or small hill and hit it hard to get back up to speed quick.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!




    Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •