Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nasty work out!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  saviour machine 
#1 ·
This may have been posted before but If not give It a try. 10" on 20" off x 40. On the trainer. Try to keep a cadence of 80 to 90 rpm's. warm up for 10' to 15'. You will be sick to your stomach the first time you do this, c/x season is coming up and this will help big time. I go big on the weekends(8 to 12 hours) so I keep my weekday training short and sweet. Do this workout once a week only. My name is Saviour machine and I approve this workout.

#2 ·
Thats kinda like opposite Tabata intervals. They are 20sec on 10sec off x 8. I usually do a couple or few sets.

Im too ADD to do long hard intervals. The super short ones are exciting and easy to keep focus. Supposedly, getting your body into that extreme state of O2 debt, increases VO2 max at a faster rate than other forms of training.

#7 ·
I've done the 20sec on 10sec off x 10 but I like the 10 on 20 off x 40 better. Seems to work better for me. Really helps me come out of a corner or small hill and hit it hard to get back up to speed quick.

#3 · (Edited)
The on-off time for microbursts/tabathas is really dependent on what you want. If you're shooting for consistent high power outputs (700+ Watts) then a shorter "on" time makes more sense. When training for crits, I use 5s on, 25 off (zone 2 actually). Pretty easy at first, then becomes difficult after 3 minutes or so, if your hitting the high wattage targets. It very much mimics the power profile of a hard crit.

10s on, 20s off will eventually result in a lower peak power compared to the above. This really does sound good for cross.

20s on, 10s off eventually falls into the VO2max average range after a while I imagine. 20s is a very hard long sprint, IME, especially when you hit a hard jump (900W+) on the start. Therefore, high wattage becomes unsustainable.

In general, highest possible FTP always helps, which gives you more usable power for the general onslaught, regardless of racing type (MTB, crits, cross). Which is better served with other workouts.

MIxing in a tabatha day and an FTP day, once a week, has to be the ticket for leading into a nice cross peak.

#6 ·
Yes, I do 40 of them non stop. I do these all out. I stay seated and try to spin up to 80 to 100 rpms. I always think by 25 that I'm not going to be able to do 40 but I get through It.

#5 ·
The hardest workout I did this season was a classic tabata on the road bike prior to a XC time trial.

Code:
3x
  20x
    20 sec all out
    10 sec rest
  10 min rest
Keep in mind that some 20 seconds just happened to occurs on downhills so the workout trained high RPM as well as short hill bursts, accelerations, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.