mtbr member

My race result from yesterday

I competed in the Cranky Monkey Schaeffer Farms x/c race yesterday here in Maryland. It was my first race in about 15 years so I entered in the beginner 40-45 y/o division. The weather was nearly perfect and the course conditions were great as well.

I got off to a bit of a slow start as I was trying to pace myself. I passed a few people at the beginning before the course narrowed down to pure single track. Once into the woods I tried to maintain my position and picked off slower riders when I could. At about the 1/3 mark (the distance was 9 miles, one lap, for beginners) I thought that I was going to puke! I was able to work through that without slowing my pace too much. Over the next 4 miles or so I maintained my position and was only passed from behind by 2 or 3 other riders. As we approached the final 2 miles or so my training and endurance began to pay off. There are a few small hills near the end of the course and I passed quite a few folks on these climbs. I guess they were fading as the race finish neared.

With about 1 mile to go I became trapped behind two much slower riders, as I was trying to get by I realized that I now had someone trying to get past me! This guy was yelling at the guys in front of us to pick it up but they didn't seem capable. As we approached the last turn I timed it just right to sprint out of this turn and onto the final straight which had the finish line at the end. I passed the two slow guys on my sprint and held off the faster guy behind me. It was an exciting finish and my adrenaline was still pumping for quite awhile even after I had gotten off of the bike and walked around for a few minutes.

I finished 12th out of 25+ riders in the group. My goal was to finish in the top 10 but I was happy with the result overall and look forward to doing another race soon. The thrill of competing is something that I really missed.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bye View Post
    I competed in the Cranky Monkey Schaeffer Farms x/c race yesterday here in Maryland. It was my first race in about 15 years so I entered in the beginner 40-45 y/o division. The weather was nearly perfect and the course conditions were great as well.

I got off to a bit of a slow start as I was trying to pace myself. I passed a few people at the beginning before the course narrowed down to pure single track. Once into the woods I tried to maintain my position and picked off slower riders when I could. At about the 1/3 mark (the distance was 9 miles, one lap, for beginners) I thought that I was going to puke! I was able to work through that without slowing my pace too much. Over the next 4 miles or so I maintained my position and was only passed from behind by 2 or 3 other riders. As we approached the final 2 miles or so my training and endurance began to pay off. There are a few small hills near the end of the course and I passed quite a few folks on these climbs. I guess they were fading as the race finish neared.

With about 1 mile to go I became trapped behind two much slower riders, as I was trying to get by I realized that I now had someone trying to get past me! This guy was yelling at the guys in front of us to pick it up but they didn't seem capable. As we approached the last turn I timed it just right to sprint out of this turn and onto the final straight which had the finish line at the end. I passed the two slow guys on my sprint and held off the faster guy behind me. It was an exciting finish and my adrenaline was still pumping for quite awhile even after I had gotten off of the bike and walked around for a few minutes.

I finished 12th out of 25+ riders in the group. My goal was to finish in the top 10 but I was happy with the result overall and look forward to doing another race soon. The thrill of competing is something that I really missed.
    Schaeffer was great yesterday, though it turned really humid for the later race. I took first in sport 34-!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

congrats on keeping your cool and not doing anything stupid trying to pass too aggressively, worked out in the end as you did get past those two before the finish. That last mile or so at shaeffer has very little passing areas which makes it harder for the single lap races. I was surprised at the aggressive passing/slower riders not yielding in the expert race during the first lap within the first 5 miles of a 29 mile race

mtbr member
    I was out there too. It was a good race. I ended up getting 7th in the 40+ beg. It was my second MTB race in the past 5 years. The first being at Wakefield a few weeks earlier where I placed 8th.

In the Shaeffer race, I was with 2 other guys battling for 5 place, but I cracked in the last mile. I was generally happy since I had never ridden the course and haven't done any endurance training per se. Just training for BMX races (which are 40 second sprints!). When I retire from BMX racing after this seasons over, I'll probably start training a bit more.

Somebody told me the guy that wins that class (40+ beg), wins it every year - don't know if that's the case though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
    Schaeffer was great yesterday, though it turned really humid for the later race. I took first in sport 34-!
    Nice Work! Congrats on the win. Way to go
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioteknik View Post
    congrats on keeping your cool and not doing anything stupid trying to pass too aggressively, worked out in the end as you did get past those two before the finish. That last mile or so at shaeffer has very little passing areas which makes it harder for the single lap races. I was surprised at the aggressive passing/slower riders not yielding in the expert race during the first lap within the first 5 miles of a 29 mile race
    Yeah I hear you, I was surprised at how slow some guys were going DOWNHILL during a race!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase24.1 View Post
    I was out there too. It was a good race. I ended up getting 7th in the 40+ beg. It was my second MTB race in the past 5 years. The first being at Wakefield a few weeks earlier where I placed 8th.

In the Shaeffer race, I was with 2 other guys battling for 5 place, but I cracked in the last mile. I was generally happy since I had never ridden the course and haven't done any endurance training per se. Just training for BMX races (which are 40 second sprints!). When I retire from BMX racing after this seasons over, I'll probably start training a bit more.

Somebody told me the guy that wins that class (40+ beg), wins it every year - don't know if that's the case though.
    Cool - we were in the same group. I was trying to get up to that top 10 group at the beginning but I just could not get by a few riders in front of me. I could see the group that I bet you were in slowly pulling away! That's a quality result, especially considering that you were right there battling for 5th at the end, even with fading a little. Congratulations

mtbr member
    Cool - we were in the same group. I was trying to get up to that top 10 group at the beginning but I just could not get by a few riders in front of me. I could see the group that I bet you were in slowly pulling away! That's a quality result, especially considering that you were right there battling for 5th at the end, even with fading a little. Congratulations
    Thanks, it was a fun race.

Yeah I was torn between sprints out with the "fast" guys so I could get in the single track ahead of folks or hanging back and doing my own race. I chose to hang back to make passes. But I'm not sure if that didn't hurt a bit in the long run because I was always trying to pass or waiting for a safe place to pass and then sprinting by. In the end, I think it just wore me down. But perhaps with a bit more endurance training I can recover from the hard efforts.

You racing at fountain head? If so, look me up. I'll be wearing a red/white/blue C4 jersey. Me and several of my BMX friends are doing the series this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hello everyone.. I'm Will the guy that won the 40+ Beginner at Schaeffer Farms. I started riding mountain bikes about 3 months ago. My first bike was a Trek Fuel which I bought 3 months ago.. I wish I would have bought the Specialized 29er that I ride in the race (Unfortunately I was new and didn't know all there was to this sport).. I figure now I can grow into the bike ;-).... I love this sport.. I love the people.. I wish I would have started a few years ago... I use to go to the gym 4 times a week with little to no cardio.. Someone told me about mountain biking and since I remember as a kid how fun bmx'ing was I thought I'd give it a shot.. I took to it very quickly and started to leave the folks I started with so racing seemed like a good place to continue to improve. This is only my 3rd mountain bike race ever. 2 at Wakefield and 1 Schaeffer Farms.. I plan on moving up after this series to sportsman/clydesdale or something to keep trying to get faster..

My hat goes off to everyone including the classes that start before us... Everyone was so courteous and let faster guys pass.

The secret to my success at Schaeffer goes to Dave Grozbean. He showed me around the trail prior to the race. He had to wait for me a few times. Thanks Dave!!!!!!

I'm starting to meet so many great people.. John, Mark, Carl, Jim, Pj, Yuri, Kane, Jody Will, Marco, and the list goes on....

Jim the Director is the greatest for putting this together... Also its great to see so many volunteers who do such a great job...

GREAT TIMES, GOOD PEOPLE, and AWESOME COMPETITION!!!!!

P.S. Is it amazing or what to see the expert times for 3 laps compared to the beginner one lap.... all I can say is one day.

Sorry to be so long winded and complimentary... When I'm excited about something good I just can't say enough about it...

-Will

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBike769 View Post
    Hello everyone.. I'm Will the guy that won the 40+ Beginner at Schaeffer Farms.

P.S. Is it amazing or what to see the expert times for 3 laps compared to the beginner one lap.... all I can say is one day.

-Will
    Hey Will, congrats on the win. I was checking out the sport and expert times too. I have to get more miles in my legs before I can try for those times/distance.

Will see you out at Shaeffer.

Charlie

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Charlie... Me and you both need to get more miles in.. My heart was about to explode after one lap... :-)

See you soon... Schaeffer is an hour away so I won't be there often.. Rosaryville and Cedarville are the closet to me... I want to experience more trails... I hear that are some great trails out there....

-Will

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBike769 View Post
    Hello everyone.. I'm Will the guy that won the 40+ Beginner at Schaeffer Farms. I started riding mountain bikes about 3 months ago. My first bike was a Trek Fuel which I bought 3 months ago.. I wish I would have bought the Specialized 29er that I ride in the race (Unfortunately I was new and didn't know all there was to this sport).. I figure now I can grow into the bike ;-).... I love this sport.. I love the people.. I wish I would have started a few years ago... I use to go to the gym 4 times a week with little to no cardio.. Someone told me about mountain biking and since I remember as a kid how fun bmx'ing was I thought I'd give it a shot.. I took to it very quickly and started to leave the folks I started with so racing seemed like a good place to continue to improve. This is only my 3rd mountain bike race ever. 2 at Wakefield and 1 Schaeffer Farms.. I plan on moving up after this series to sportsman/clydesdale or something to keep trying to get faster..

My hat goes off to everyone including the classes that start before us... Everyone was so courteous and let faster guys pass.

The secret to my success at Schaeffer goes to Dave Grozbean. He showed me around the trail prior to the race. He had to wait for me a few times. Thanks Dave!!!!!!

I'm starting to meet so many great people.. John, Mark, Carl, Jim, Pj, Yuri, Kane, Jody Will, Marco, and the list goes on....

Jim the Director is the greatest for putting this together... Also its great to see so many volunteers who do such a great job...

GREAT TIMES, GOOD PEOPLE, and AWESOME COMPETITION!!!!!

Sorry to be so long winded and complimentary... When I'm excited about something good I just can't say enough about it...

-Will
    2 of the top 3 guys in expert have pro cards, so it's pretty cool that one of our local advocacy directors was neck and neck with the winner right at the finish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    2 of the top 3 guys in expert have pro cards, so it's pretty cool that one of our local advocacy directors was neck and neck with the winner right at the finish.
    That is AWESOME!!!!... When I look at those times all I can say is "How do they do it??" Now I have to look up what is to have a pro card. I guess its equivalent to the guys I see riding the Tour De France on TV just on a Mountain Bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    na.. TDF riders are world class top level pros.. the MTB equivalent are the guys doing the UCI world cup, which would beat most regional level pros by about as much as they(local pros) beat most Age group racers. The gap between 3 and 4th was 4 minutes, which is close to a mile at their speed.

mtbr member

You racing at fountain head? If so, look me up. I'll be wearing a red/white/blue C4 jersey. Me and several of my BMX friends are doing the series this year.
    Will do - not sure if I can make that one due to a family beach trip. I would like to do another one this season though

mtbr member
    na.. TDF riders are world class top level pros.. the MTB equivalent are the guys doing the UCI world cup, which would beat most regional level pros by about as much as they(local pros) beat most Age group racers. The gap between 3 and 4th was 4 minutes, which is close to a mile at their speed.
    That's nutz!

Congrats also to Will on the win. Great to hear (and see) your enthusiasm for the sport!

mtbr member

Allright! I'll look you up as I just signed up. Beach trip is not a date conflict!
    Pumped to race again this season

mtbr member
    Did a few pre-rides of the Fountain Head course last week...lots of short steep climbs and descents, should be a interesting race. Hopefully the hurricane doesn't cause the race to be postponed.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Fountainhead is a fun place to ride/ race.

Good luck to everyone racing there!
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's nutz!

Congrats also to Will on the win. Great to hear (and see) your enthusiasm for the sport!
    Thanks Blue Bye..... This is the best kept secret... Unfortunately I'm telling everyone...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey Will, congrats on the win. I was checking out the sport and expert times too. I have to get more miles in my legs before I can try for those times/distance.

Will see you out at Shaeffer.

Charlie
    Thanks Chase24.1

mtbr member
    I'm a little bummed about the race being postponed - just sitting here waiting for the worst of this storm to roll in

mtbr member
    Been out riding Fountainhead this weekend getting ready for next weeks race - lots of folks out there pre-riding the course as well. Good luck everyone.

Charlie (also chase24.1)