mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My Race Bike Build

I have been riding steel framed 29ers for 3 or 4 years now. They have all been built with an eye toward a durable trail bike build so I never really considered the weight of any of the parts.

I got a great deal on a very slightly used 2010 frame and some wheels and built this up as a race/trail bike. I'm hopeing to start racing again this fall now that my youngest daughter has past the one year old mark.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Get rid of that fork and you'll be around 18 pounds!

Not a great shot, but you get the idea...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    [QUOTE=jonw9;8126467]Nice bike! Get rid of that fork and you'll be around 18 lbs.

I just don't think I can do that. There isn't a piece of smooth enough trail any where around here to enjoy a rigid fork. Also do you have any clearance issues with your brake levers and top tube when you swing your bars around? I haven't worked on the final fit yet, just pieced it together but my levers hit the top tube. One small endo or something and I could see my top tube in two pieces.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=azpoolguy;8126483]
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
    Nice bike! Get rid of that fork and you'll be around 18 lbs.

I just don't think I can do that. There isn't a piece of smooth enough trail any where around here to enjoy a rigid fork. Also do you have any clearance issues with your brake levers and top tube when you swing your bars around? I haven't worked on the final fit yet, just pieced it together but my levers hit the top tube. One small endo or something and I could see my top tube in two pieces.
    I adjusted my brake levers so the clear the TT in the event of a crash (which happens more often than I would like to admit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    [QUOTE=jonw9;8126741]
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post

I adjusted my brake levers so the clear the TT in the event of a crash (which happens more often than I would like to admit.

I will probably just have to run my levers higher then I'm used to to clear. I had a Niner Sir9 and Fisher Ferrous and never had an issue. I just sold the Niner because I wanted a shorter head tube and way lower bar height. Now I have clearance issues. I just can't win.

Nice TwinSix Metal kit also!