Alright, let's ride!

My new xc race bike - Turner Nitrous

Kind of a cross post on a couple other forums, what can I say, I'm proud of it.

Just thoguht I would show off my new toy a little. I posted it on the Turner board and Passion. Just thought I would see what some other xc racers thought as well. As of right now it weighs in at 22.15 pounds (10,050 grams). The build is very sound, no sacrifices of durability or safety in order to make it light. I do plan on getting it down below 22 pounds once I put the X.0 rear derailleur on and cut the steerer tube.

I took the bike out for it's first ride last night. First thing I found out is that I need a longer seatpost. I need about another 5 - 10 mm. Unfortunately I am already at the minimum insertion level on the Masterpiece. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace it with.
    I would like to get an Extralite, just don't know if I want to spend that much money on one. I would rather use that money towards either an XTR cassette or a new fork.

Next problem, I bled my brakes yesterday before the ride. Unfortunately I managed to get a little Magura Blood on the rotor. I thought I cleaned it off pretty well, I was wrong. I ended up going through the first half of the ride with no rear brake. That was fun.

Next problem, I forgot to tighten up my front derailleur clamp after getting it in the proper position when I built the bike. Unfortunately while I was out riding I didn't realize this, thought the cable was slipping. I "tightened" up the aluminum cable pinch bolt and snapped it. Oops. I ended up doing the second half of the ride in my small ring.

Now, from the best I can tell I still like my Truth better on the rougher downhills. No big suprise there. Now, on the tight flowing trails this bike is awesome. It amazed me how well it cornered even though I haven't built up much confidence in it yet. I can't wait until I get some saddle time on it and get used to it. Unfortunately I cannot give a good comparison on the climbs yet. I went out really hard on a group road ride on Wednesday that tore my legs up. I was still feeling it yesterday and as a result had no energy to give the climbs. I suffered on all of them, not the bikes fault though.

Don't bring me down..........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    KCNC seatpost is a good light one with at a decent price.
    Fairwheel bikes has the 27.2 not sure about other sizes availability.

I just dropped a few pounds going to another bike, It has slightly less travel than the previous one. One thing I noticed is the lighter bike is a lot more skittish under hard braking. Have you noticed the lighter bike tending to skid/skitter more on loose stuff than a heavier bike?

Alright, let's ride!
    Thanks for the tip on the seatpost. Unfortunately already ordered a new one. I ordered a regular Thomson Elite. The Masterpiece isn't available in a 410 mm so I had to go with the heavier one. I also ordered an XTR cassette. Hopefully that will offset the weight difference a little.

I definitely think this bike is more skittish under braking. I don't know if it has more to do with the weight or having less travel though.

I'm a unitard!
    Nice rig! My dad has one of those in at 22.5 with a Fox 100mm fork. I can't remember which one. His frame is smaller.

I would vote for a new fork if you are thinking about. I had that SID and really didn't like it all that much.

Are you running converted tubeless?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice ride, I have a 05 Nitrous and I love it. This is my third Turner I have owned and I come to realize that it takes time to breakin the bushing. When I bought my first one the sales person said it could take up to 3 months. I did notice after 4 races on the same course that the bike was more plush on the the ruff sections. Have fun on the new toy.
    ED

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    Nice rig! My dad has one of those in at 22.5 with a Fox 100mm fork. I can't remember which one. His frame is smaller.

I would vote for a new fork if you are thinking about. I had that SID and really didn't like it all that much.

Are you running converted tubeless?
    Thanks. I used this SID for a while on my Ellsworth Enlightenment. I really didn't notice anything bad about it. It's only now that I'm used to running my Fox F100x that I notice the flex.

I am using stan's no-tubes so yes, converted tubeless. Been using it for at least three years now. Other than the inconvenience of changing tires I am extremely happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I too have a Nitrous

It is by far the best bike I have ever owned. I have a large and it is built up to 22.8. I have fairly heavy tires, etc.. I am startled by how well it handles and the rear end has no noticible flex for my 158lb weight. I found that it decends very well compared to my old Specy FSR. But I have a longer wheel base then you fella's running small and med frames. I like to run Stans and bring the tire pressure down to 30. You may notice less skipping around during braking and downhills.
    As a bike geek I am always lusting ofr something new - the new Scott Spark will be even lighter than the nitrous - but it takes me a whole season to get 100% dialed on a race bike - so I dont want to start that process over.

I hate to see you go to a boat anchor Elite post - they are a bit overbuilt and VERY heavy. I would consider Stans Alum rotors - they work better then stock steel as for XC race I just want to feather the brakes in the corners.

I am running a Manitou R7 Platinum and it is a POS - loses air pressure DAILY. The new PACE RC39 Type C looks to be light and Stiff but not sure how a 100mm will work on the "designed for 80mm" nitrous.

recovering racer
    Don't worry about saving weight in the seatpost - rebuild with Olympic ZTR rims, ditch the 120g rim strips in each wheel and lose a 1/4lb of rotating weight.

I'd also ditch the SID for a Fox F80RLT, but that's me.

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by BipedZed
    Don't worry about saving weight in the seatpost - rebuild with Olympic ZTR rims, ditch the 120g rim strips in each wheel and lose a 1/4lb of rotating weight.

I'd also ditch the SID for a Fox F80RLT, but that's me.
    Thanks for the advice. However, if I ditch the SID it will be for a F80x. I really like the F100x on my other bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

100mm fork

Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    It is by far the best bike I have ever owned. I have a large and it is built up to 22.8. I have fairly heavy tires, etc.. I am startled by how well it handles and the rear end has no noticible flex for my 158lb weight. I found that it decends very well compared to my old Specy FSR. But I have a longer wheel base then you fella's running small and med frames. I like to run Stans and bring the tire pressure down to 30. You may notice less skipping around during braking and downhills.
    As a bike geek I am always lusting ofr something new - the new Scott Spark will be even lighter than the nitrous - but it takes me a whole season to get 100% dialed on a race bike - so I dont want to start that process over.

I hate to see you go to a boat anchor Elite post - they are a bit overbuilt and VERY heavy. I would consider Stans Alum rotors - they work better then stock steel as for XC race I just want to feather the brakes in the corners.

I am running a Manitou R7 Platinum and it is a POS - loses air pressure DAILY. The new PACE RC39 Type C looks to be light and Stiff but not sure how a 100mm will work on the "designed for 80mm" nitrous.
    I had the 80mm fork when I first built my nitrous. I worked good but it felt a little twitchy on the decents, my strenths are downhills so I switcthed to a 100mm Fox RLT. I perfer the 100mm fork, the bike handles tech down hills better. I think turner web site has 100mm fork on the picture of the built up Nitrous.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Did you give up any of the beloved singletrack..

Quote Originally Posted by ED2525
    I had the 80mm fork when I first built my nitrous. I worked good but it felt a little twitchy on the decents, my strenths are downhills so I switcthed to a 100mm Fox RLT. I perfer the 100mm fork, the bike handles tech down hills better. I think turner web site has 100mm fork on the picture of the built up Nitrous.
    Ed
    handling when you switched to 100mm. I am not a great decender - so perhaps a 100mm would help me. It feels just perfectly balanced on the fast SingleTrack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    handling when you switched to 100mm. I am not a great decender - so perhaps a 100mm would help me. It feels just perfectly balanced on the fast SingleTrack.
    No not at all, even on the steep climbs I can barely tell the differance. I also swicthed some spacers from the bottom of the stem to top so I would have the same bar height. The taller fork slowed down the steering just a little, it seems for me on fast rolling singletrack that i can pick my lines easier. Also on steep downhills if I hit something hard the bike seems to stay on line better.
    Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0