mtbr member

My Average HR has gone up

My Average HR has gone up,

I have been off my bike for 19 days with a shoulder injury. I started running last week and noticed that my HR is a lot higher. I figured it was because I was running. Today I got back on my bike finally and my HR is still much higher.

My average (all summer) has typically been ~131 with max ~160 during rides. During climbs I seem to be able to sustain ~150 for 45 min. I would typically feel on the verge of blowing up around 160.

My run yesterday I averaged 152 and maxed at 172

Today (on my bike) My average was ~146 with my max ~170 and I was sustaining ~160 on most climbs. I felt great and at no time did I feel like i was going to blow up.

I am: 42 yo, 6'1", 180lbs

Is this good?
    Did the rest strengthen my heart?
    or, is my HR monitor (Garmin Edge 305) going bad? or, Is my heart going bad!

* I do not race but there is no "health & fitness" forum to post in

Giant Anthem

adaptation

What has happened is that since you haven't worked out, you've lost some fitness so your body (heart and lungs) now has to work harder to have the same performance you had when you were working out consistently. Once you get back in shape your heart rate will lower again because your body will have adapted to the workload and become more efficient while exercising.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fst4u
    What has happened is that since you haven't worked out, you've lost some fitness so your body (heart and lungs) now has to work harder to have the same performance you had when you were working out consistently. Once you get back in shape your heart rate will lower again because your body will have adapted to the workload and become more efficient while exercising.
    For the same given workload, yes, his average heart rate would increase due to a decrease in fitness, but this is not what he is saying. I think he is trying to say that his sustainable HR has increased, which is basically an increase in his lactate threshold. This is usually only attainable by training, not by rest. Not exactly sure what is going on with you, but it is possible that you were overtraining before your time off the bike. Not sure though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanDM
    I think he is trying to say that his sustainable HR has increased, which is basically an increase in his lactate threshold. This is usually only attainable by training, not by rest. Not exactly sure what is going on with you, but it is possible that you were overtraining before your time off the bike. Not sure though.
    Yes, it seams my sustainable HR has increased. I did not feel like I lost any fitness on my first ride back yesterday. I felt very strong on my climbs.

I was probably "overtraining" before my injury. I was doing a lot of climbing (15-20K'/week) , ~150 miles/week, riding 5-6 days/week.
    This is after not riding for a very long time and coming out of winter 40 lbs heavier than i am now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, then it is possible that overtraining is the cause. Here is a good read on overtraining: http://www.cptips.com/ovrtrng.htm

Some relate to you such as:
    - A drop of 10 beats per minute in your time trial maximum heart rate has also been used as an indicator of overtraining.
    - a decrease in maximal physical performance
    - lowering of VO2max
    - a decrease in the ratio of blood lactate concentration to ratings of perceived exertion at maximal work loads
    - inability to attain maximum energy output

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanDM
    Yeah, then it is possible that overtraining is the cause.
    Here is a good read on overtraining: http://www.cptips.com/ovrtrng.htm
    thanks!

It sounds like I was definitely "overreaching" and slightly "overtraining".
    Before I had to stop to give my shoulder a break I had done an epic (rose to toads) ride for the second time in the month. I think that was the proverbial straw that broke my back.
    It sucks that my shoulder is tweaked but it has given me some much needed rest i believe.?