mtbr member
    Aug 2009

MTB training ebook

Anybody seen or used James Wilson's "ultimate Mountain Bike workout program 2.0"? What do you think of it? I haven't bought it and want to know what others think of it because it better be good for $97. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

decent but not worth $97

The program is a decent strength/conditioning/core workout plan but I found it to be a rather disorganized carbon copy of "Core Performance" by Mark Verstegen with some good nutrition and cycling-specific advice thrown in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Personally I preferred version 1.0 and have been using it for the basis of my training for the last three years. Either way I would still say it is probably the best mountain bike specific system out there. James supports the system well with plenty of supplementary videos from his site. He also takes the time out to answer your emails and questions.

I have bought a lot of books and systems over the years, and none really compare (even Core Performance). James addresses the key issues all mountain bikers need to address and the program will improve your riding. Too many programs out there are body builder type programs modded to fit. There are only exercises in program that will benefit your riding. You won't see any bicep curls or tricep extensions here.

My view is that if your into down hill or more of your weekend warrior then you will benefit considerably from the program. If you are into your XC / marathon training and put in a lot of hours in the saddle, then you will need to tweak it for best fit. I am into XC mainly and it gets me in shape a lot faster at the beginning of the season.

My only criticism would be that depending on where you train you might find it difficult to follow the routines due to the need to pair several exercises together. Busy commercial gyms could be a problem. I train in my garage so it's not an issue to me.

For me it was definitely worth the investment.

Cheers

^^^

propaganda.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    LOL. Actually mere coincidence. Take it for what it is.

First time I have ever seen anybody ask about the program, so felt inclined to comment.

To be honest the less people use it the better off I am!

If you have any cool stuff that is going to help us ride better, then please share!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How much specific training is there to train the "engine" for endurance and speed? Can anybody weigh in on other programs they've found to be very good?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikescott1
    How much specific training is there to train the "engine" for endurance and speed? Can anybody weigh in on other programs they've found to be very good?
    No specific program but, if you read all the the threads in this forum you will find all the info needed. How you sort it and put it to use is the million dollar question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is probably where I think most programs miss an opportunity. You get good coaches for on the bike training and you get good coaches for off the bike training. Tying them both together is the hard part.

I think James would benefit considerably if he could tie in his program with a good on the bike xc type coach. He has Down Hill covered because that is what he rides.

Although the Ultimate MTB program will enhance your endurance and power by the nature of it's programming.

I am always reading stuff on this and I am half way through a recently released book called "Weight Training for Cyclists 2nd edition". This is the first off the shelf book that I have found that I would recommend to a friend. So if money is tight at $13 it's worth the spend. My only criticism so far is that I think some of the rep ranges are too high on some on the exercises.

mtbr member
    Bringing it back from the dead: anybody else have feedback on this or other books/ebooks that outline training programs?

mtbr member
    I will second that.. ^

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For the last two posts:

1. DON'T buy anything with Chris Carmichael's name on it.
    2. Joe Friel's Cyclist Training Bible is excellent and available for next to nothing used.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    For the last two posts:

1. DON'T buy anything with Chris Carmichael's name on it.
    OK I'll bite. Why not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

New question here.

For the last two posts:

2. Joe Friel's Cyclist Training Bible is excellent and available for next to nothing used.
    This book is 12 years old... is it still accurate? Are there newer options available with a strong backing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybutt711 View Post
    This book is 12 years old... is it still accurate? Are there newer options available with a strong backing?
    Accurate how?

Buy it used and work through the concepts then set something up for yourself and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Accurate how?

Buy it used and work through the concepts then set something up for yourself and see how it goes.
    I guess I'm curious if some of the techniques, nutrition recommendations, or any of the other data in the books will be outdated. I know that science and technology progress, so I was curious if these progressions would make any of the information in this text outdated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybutt711 View Post
    I guess I'm curious if some of the techniques, nutrition recommendations, or any of the other data in the books will be outdated. I know that science and technology progress, so I was curious if these progressions would make any of the information in this text outdated.
    #1 any benefits to supplements diets and the like are only meaningful over years if that. The FDA makes sure of that unless you are one step ahead of them. In that case, WADA's already banned it.

#2 The correct response is "Thanks for the tip Jesus!" Are you going to miss the $15? Because something tells me you have waaay more than $15 in one tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    #1 any benefits to supplements diets and the like are only meaningful over years if that. The FDA makes sure of that unless you are one step ahead of them. In that case, WADA's already banned it.

#2 The correct response is "Thanks for the tip Jesus!" Are you going to miss the $15? Because something tells me you have waaay more than $15 in one tire.
    Noted... Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    friel has since published paleo diet for athletes. will be interesting if that creeps into future bible editions
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!