mtbr member
    Sep 2005

MTB Naional Calendar vs. NMBS, any thoughts?

I just read the rant Eddie Arnet put up at http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=2138. I'm not sure I agree with him at all. I'm not a race promoter, but it seems to me from a racers perspective that the best events should be rewarded with the most prestige and attendance. What makes a good event? A good mountain with a lot of fun courses for everyone who enters, good prizes and prize money, accurate timing and timely results. TV exposure would be nice for the sponsors, but it's not mandatory for a sweet race. I don't know what goes on in the secret meetings of USA Cycling, but I think their National Calendar seems like a step in the right direction. It pretty much opens it up to any promoter who wants to get in on the action by putting on a quality event with prize money for the racers. There hasn't been any news on this since they announced it 3 weeks ago, and I'll be interested to see how things will change for next season, hopefully for the better. Unless no promoters jump on board, in which case it will all just fly back in the face of the feds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    last time i looked the national calendar had races pretty much only in california. You would think with the number of mountains elsewhere in the us they could have races all over the place. I mean maybe one race in cali, and then the other races in other states. It just seems crazy. Then again, i think they should actually have the pros race on technical XC courses, preferably a single lap for the whole race or two at most. AM i the only one that thinks its lame going round and round during a race. Pretty soon its gonna be like nascar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All you asking for is what NORBA already had! I raced a norba national or two every year for 7 years straight. It was in northern Michigan, and it was one giant lap for amatuers, and 2 giant laps for pros. The course was HARD, real mountain bike racing. There was an actual water jump in the woods that made you have to hit it at full speed and jump 15 feet at least to clear it. The pros loved it. This was in 1990 - 1996. It's what got me hooked on racing. Since the 1996 year, I've been scratching my head wondering what the hell happened? There are fantastic spots all over the midwest, south, east, you name it. A true national series needs to be all over the nation!

USAC is a joke. It really is, and Eddie Arnet is absolutely right.

We simply need to return to the way the races were held 10 years ago, and we'd be fine. If TV comes, fine, if not, then give the racers the best event, and they will show up.

Chequagmaeonlsdflkjsfjj (I can never spell that), Iceman cometh, etc., these are HUGE events because they are fun for the racers.

I have zero hope of ever having a national caliber event to race at anywhere in the midwest. It's pathetic.

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel 13
    last time i looked the national calendar had races pretty much only in california. You would think with the number of mountains elsewhere in the us they could have races all over the place. I mean maybe one race in cali, and then the other races in other states. It just seems crazy. Then again, i think they should actually have the pros race on technical XC courses, preferably a single lap for the whole race or two at most. AM i the only one that thinks its lame going round and round during a race. Pretty soon its gonna be like nascar.
    I would bet you haven't been to many national races if you think they are all in California and they aren't technical.

The new racing calendar is supposed to be like the NRC version for the road. So probably a lot more events throughout the country that are only for Pros and Semi-pros. Last I heard, they were considering experts. Oh yeah, and NORBA is gone.

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2655

Members who have read this thread: 0