mtbr member
    Aug 2012

MTB intervals problem

I have a problem with intervals on MTB bike. When riding MTB, path is going up and down, and, for example, when I have to do 10min interval, hill is over after 6-7min, and then I can't end interval properly, because it's impossible to do it downhill. How do you solve this, are you doing your intervals on trainer or road bike, or you're still doing it on MTB?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Accex View Post
    I have a problem with intervals on MTB bike. When riding MTB, path is going up and down, and, for example, when I have to do 10min interval, hill is over after 6-7min, and then I can't end interval properly, because it's impossible to do it downhill. How do you solve this, are you doing your intervals on trainer or road bike, or you're still doing it on MTB?

I do interval's on the road bike. In fact, I do most training on the road bike and trainer. I find it difficult to hit and maintain targets off road on the mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    But, are you losing off road skills by riding road bike?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Include the downhill as part of the interval. If you really attack a downhill you are working just as hard on it as you were on the climb. After all mountain bike races do have downhills in them, why not include the downhills in you interval.

Personally I would pick a route for a 10 minute interval that has two 3-4 minute climbs and two 1-2 minute descents.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

AZ
    banned

I ride the mountain bike enough to keep the skills sharpened, its about an 20/80 split weighted towards road riding.

mtbr member
    I guess it could if you're racing downhill or enduro. I still hit the trail at least twice a week and don't feel out of practice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Include the downhill as part of the interval. If you really attack a downhill you are working just as hard on it as you were on the climb.
    In my town I have a 20 minute loop I use for threshold training sometimes. It has a 5 minute 3-4% climb and a 3 minute 2-3% descent. I've been using this route for years (road bike with PM).

I always put more power on the decent. Don't know why. But putting out good power on a descent is definitely possible.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member

MTB intervals problem

My suggestion if the trail allows would be to start doing the first few minutes of your interval on the flat and aim to finish just before the end of the 7 minute climb.

For intervals where you're aiming to maintain a good work rate throughout doing them on the road or on a turbo trainer is usually easiest.

Hairshirt Rider
    You might be over thinking this. If you have a 6-7 minute hill then do a 6-7 minute interval.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    You might be over thinking this. If you have a 6-7 minute hill then do a 6-7 minute interval.
    Yes, but, one hill is 6-7 minute, second 5 minute, third 8... So there have to be change rest period, and that's too much matematic in the middle of training

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Intervals (hill repeats) usually use the same stretch, that goes without saying.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You could use Fartlek training instead of intervals. Less structured but can be effective and would allow you to take advantage of less than optimal training terrain.

mtbr member
    Yes, but, one hill is 6-7 minute, second 5 minute, third 8... So there have to be change rest period, and that's too much matematic in the middle of training
    Are you using some sort of power meter and following a specific interval plan laid out for you by a qualified coach?

If not, you've got so many variables in your training that for all you know, a 6, 5, 8 min interval schedule may actually be better than a 3x10.

Like the previous poster implied, you're over-thinking it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is what I'd suggest. Fartlek can be just as, even more successful than structured intervals, since you can do structured intervals that don't benefit you much, but with fartlek you're pretty much guaranteed to do SOMETHING beneficial, given the diversity. This is how most of my training played out this past year, and it got me a bunch of PRs and on to a few podiums. Whenever I feel the need for structured intervals, it's not even a question, I go to the trainer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Few months ago I had enough motivation to do hill repeats, I have one hill 10 minutes long, downhill is around 2-3 and that's great. But, I lost motivation for that, because it becomes too boring to ride same course every interval... So, when I stopped with that, I started to, when I have to do long intervals, I just get out and ride on hills, without of stopping one just one. Some 20km was enough (3-4 hills). I wanted to see some other suggestions, fartlek is very interesting Thank you all again

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I always find it easier to hammer on my favorite trails than to do structured stuff anyway ... ride hard when you feel strong or are headed up, then take it easy when you need to recover or are heading down. Even hunting PRs and going for a 'time trial' pace on the mountain bike gives a hugely varied intensity profile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Intervals on the hills near you that you can ride regularly are the best kind! I do 1.5 minute hill repeats, those are what I have near me that work with my schedule (and I'm getting faster and stronger), -you're lucky to have such big hills!, and if it's boring you're just not suffering enough I think a lot of people have to tweak their training to match the available terrain. I imagine you could get pretty scary fast if you maximize the use of those 6-7 minute hills.

mtbr member
    Few months ago I had enough motivation to do hill repeats, I have one hill 10 minutes long, downhill is around 2-3 and that's great. But, I lost motivation for that, because it becomes too boring to ride same course every interval... So, when I stopped with that, I started to, when I have to do long intervals, I just get out and ride on hills, without of stopping one just one. Some 20km was enough (3-4 hills). I wanted to see some other suggestions, fartlek is very interesting Thank you all again
    You know what isn't boring? Winning races.

If you're doing 10 min intervals, you should only be doing a few, 2-3 at most. If you're doing enough that they bore you, you're doing too many, and if you can do that many, you're probably not doing them hard enough to do any good.

Like JimPac, I've got a hill nearby that takes ~2 min on my road bike. I may do 7-10 repeats on a given day, but that's still only 20 minutes of intensity. It gets a little repetitive, BUT it's the most effective time I can spend on the bike when I only have an hour to ride. Repetitive, yes. Boring, no. I look forward to them because they make me faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I did 2-3 repeat, 3 maximal, but my motivation is going down when I do that every single day of interval training, but I noticed that, when I train on that hill, it was enough just 3 days of that type of training to be better, with one long ride and 3 days free

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You need to change up your intervals. 10 min is too short for z4 (threshold) and too long for z5 (VO2 Max). You should lengthen your threshold work and shorten your intervals for a VO2 Max session. You are likely not getting the benefit out of your intervals. Your initial 6-7 min hill is perfect for VO2 Max intervals. If you can do more than 5 or 6 then you are not going hard enough.