mtbr member

Mountain Bikers Training Bible

Been reading this and setting my training up for next season. It talks a lot about not always pushing yourself and sometimes the best workouts are the ones you don't feel that much. You almost feel like it was more of a casual ride. It also talked about changing your riding, changing the gears you use.

I decided to try this. On my local trail, I thought I would use the granny gear and a comparable gear to keep chain line smooth. Boy was that a wake up call. It was only 7 miles and I was spent. I literally fell over sideways when I got to my car. I couldn't even unclip. I don't even know how to explain how that worked. I just felt like I was sprinting the whole time. I usually do this trail in the big ring and do 3 laps.

Just thought I would share.

Oh, this book also talks about doing a bunch of road riding. Didn't know that was so important. I sold my road bike 2 months ago. Going to just by slicks for my MTB.

It's about showing up.

Hmmm.

I'm all over the casual and granny patr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    Been reading this and setting my training up for next season. It talks a lot about not always pushing yourself and sometimes the best workouts are the ones you don't feel that much. You almost feel like it was more of a casual ride. It also talked about changing your riding, changing the gears you use.

I decided to try this. On my local trail, I thought I would use the granny gear and a comparable gear to keep chain line smooth. Boy was that a wake up call. It was only 7 miles and I was spent. I literally fell over sideways when I got to my car. I couldn't even unclip. I don't even know how to explain how that worked. I just felt like I was sprinting the whole time. I usually do this trail in the big ring and do 3 laps.

Just thought I would share.

Oh, this book also talks about doing a bunch of road riding. Didn't know that was so important. I sold my road bike 2 months ago. Going to just by slicks for my MTB.

Here's a few things that I got from the book:
    1. Build an aerobic base. If base periods seems too easy, it's probably because you're not spending 2-3 days a week lifting weights. When you're lifting heavy, those Zone 2 rides are well justified.
    2. Improvements in biking comes in baby steps and through consistency. Patience is the key.
    3. Road riding? There is just something about training with long, consistent power output. I don't know what it is, be there's definitely something about it. Talking pace at 16 mph on the road, that's fine. But how talking pace at 18-20 mph on the road. Isn't that better? That's what those long steady rides eventually get you to do, increase aerobic power.
    4. Planning for peaks. You know, that time of the season when you just riding incredible. Isn't it better to have that ability on the weekend of the series championship, rather than on a weekend with nothing going on?
    5. Intervals, intervals, intervals. When to do them, how to do them. That's all in the book. The key for maximizing power for short and medium durations, and recovering from those efforts.
    6. During build periods, make your hard days real hard, and your easy days real easy; feathers on the pedals. The more polarized these workouts are, the better.

My experiences from the friel plan.

Members who have read this thread: 0