mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Motobecane Fantom Team ok for xc racing

I want to start XC racing next year, but need a new bike. I want to spend less than $3000.
    I can get the Motobecane Fantom Team with full XTR from bikesdirect.com for $1900.
    Looks like a good deal, but is the bike any good.
    Any other ideas on a new bike for about $3000.
    Thanks for your input.

mtbr member

I've raced a Motobecane

but it was the hardtail. Very light and fast enough not to hold me back.

Their bikes are very nicely speced for the price, but I don't know about the effectiveness of the their suspension design for racing.

For $3K, you could get into some nice FS race bikes, like a mid range alloy Giant Anthem X or a lower spec alloy Specialized epic or a mid spec alloy Yeti ASR or a lower spec alloy Scott Spark or a mid spec alloy Trek top fuel. Those are race proven designs with good pedaling platforms, but it is possible at that price point that they will be heavier than the 24.5 lb claimed weight of the Fantom Team.

It is often said here that it is not about the bike, but rather the engine that counts. But you do want something reliable and that lets you make the most of your power output. Plus, you don't want to start blaming the bike halfway through a race, so if you have to spring a few extra bucks to be happy with your setup, it will be worth it in the end.

Think of it this way, if you spend 500 hours in a year on your bike racing and training, that is only $6 to $8 an hour.

Pastor Josh
    Epic...
    Character trumps Charisma every time.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    There are lots of riders using Fantom Teams as XC race bikes - however, I would say more use Flys

I think dirtrag did a very fair write up on the bike which included more testing than a magazine generally does [that is they raced it]. This test is old and specs are better on components today; but the frame is still the same

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...=stuff_reviews

thanks for looking at it

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I thought about getting a hard tail,but the trails I ride and my old beat up body means I need a 100mm-120mm full suspension bike. My old race bike is a 1999 or 2000 Santa Cruz Superlight, but it is beat,even the frame has damage. I like the Blur LT, but that is out of my price range. I won't be buying till the first of the year, so I guess I have time to decide.

Pastor Josh
    Go ride an Epic or a stumpjumper at your LBS I promise you will like the brain. I was almost certain that I wanted a Santa Cruz till I rode the Epic I have now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Epic comp,and expert are bikes that my LBS have talked about. The expert is on the high end of my price range, but I wonder if it is worth the extra money over the comp?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just started racing spring 09 and purchased the Motobecane Phantom Team. I didn't have any problems with the bike in 11 races plus 2 or 3 training rides per week and the Chequamegon 40. I raced the beginner class and won several races against Kona, Specialized, Giant, Trek...I think anyone would be happy riding this bike and Bikes Direct have excellent support staff. If you aren't a brand snob, this is a great bike! Oh, I did put some different tires, bars and seat post on the bike too. Just personal preference. And, my neighbor bought one too and raced his all summer also with no problems.

Giant Anthem
    I built up my Giant Anthem (excellent XC racer) to 24 pounds under $2000 on ebay-just a thought
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you know how to work on bikes you can always get a lightly used high end bike and in time replace the parts you don't want. Look at the classified ads here and on ebay. there are quite a few high end bikes you can get for that price range. I have bought many bikes and frames from ebay and mtbr classified ads...and have never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    If you know how to work on bikes you can always get a lightly used high end bike and in time replace the parts you don't want. Look at the classified ads here and on ebay. there are quite a few high end bikes you can get for that price range. I have bought many bikes and frames from ebay and mtbr classified ads...and have never had a problem.
    That is true too! There are some smoking deals on lightly used bikes on ebay and craigslist!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the input.
    I have seen some good deals on e-bay, but a little leary of buying used without seeing it in person. I like craigslist because you can buy local and see the bike first, but have no seen anything good in my area.
    What I really want is a Blur LT, but I can't swing that kind of money right now.
    Thanks again for the ideas, keep them coming.

Pastor Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench Monkey
    The Epic comp,and expert are bikes that my LBS have talked about. The expert is on the high end of my price range, but I wonder if it is worth the extra money over the comp?
    I got the Comp knowing that I was going to want to upgrade most of the parts over time anyway. If you are planning on upgrading go with the comp if you want to stay bone stock maybe get the expert.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    keep an eye out for older model clearance stuff. Jenson's got Intense Spider's for 999 right now, med and large sizes, and a racerx for 1099, xl, and rx-1 for 699, full size range and motolites for 1084, full size. Get a sid fork for about 600, and shop for parts, you could have a damn fine race bike for under 3000.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    just saw that they have a yeti asr complete bike for 2299 in large, claimed weight under 25

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Yeti ASR looks nice, too bad it is not a medium.