Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Motivational Quotes

Well, it's that time of the year where training starts to wear us down (at least me anyways). I usually find myself thinking of good quotes to help me keep motivated during my training rides. I'd like to hear if anyone else has any quotes that help them get through their rides...

banned
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xc_burner
    Well, it's that time of the year where training starts to wear us down (at least me anyways). I usually find myself thinking of good quotes to help me keep motivated during my training rides. I'd like to hear if anyone else has any quotes that help them get through their rides...
    There's a good book out there called the 'quotable cyclist' or something...

Hmm... I don't think I have any quotes to get me throug my rides. Sorry
    I enjoy long rides by myself!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

How does this work for you?

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

I just go somewhere that I am familiar with, a local trail, and hammer. It feels great when you fly up hills which you struggled with in the past. Nothing is a better motivator than seeing improvement. You notice your pushing 2 or 3 gears higher than you were and your working less to push them.

I find if I'm getting worn down, not wanting to get out, I just take a day off. No reason to force myself to do something. I'll get out the next day and feel great about doing it and get a better ride than a forced ride. Just the other day, I opted to take the day off because I didn't want to ride and about an hour later things changed and I had a great ride.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

two for you

Since I am Motivated I figure I have to chime in:

- "Train like you race or you will race like you train." I think I came up with that.

- 'The pain of not giving your all lasts forever, the pain of giving your all is temporary'. That is a paraphrase from Lance's first book.

Lfe is very short and I find it important to sieze every opportunity. Results in MTB racing are basically a reflection of training, so when I go out for a ride I just try to do it right for maximum benefit. That includes being properly hydrated, fueled, good intensity during the ride, recovery drink and food, solid sleep, etc.
    M

mtbr member

Quotes

“The obstacle is the path.”
    --- Zen proverb

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re probably right.”
    --- Henry Ford

mtbr member
    "Take a beating then you'll come back stronger".

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I love this one. What hurts makes you stronger!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, you got me thinking while on my ride today and I remebered one I read a while ago. It is from a mental training article for ultra racing (RAAM) and I found it interesting. Gives you reason to keep going even when you know how good it would be to take a 30 second rest.

"[the ability] to differentiate between an excuse for stopping, and a reason for stopping. He simply refused to let himself get off of the bike unless it was absolutely necessary."

http://www.ultracycling.com/training..._training.html

Youngbuck
    Sucess-"some people dream of sucess,others wake up and work hard at it"

thats alright,nothing great.

"None who have always been free can understand the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom to those who are not free"-Pearl S. Buck

not exactly motivating,but interesting
    [SIZE=3]Honorary Member of the: 500 club[/SIZE]

the good names are taken
    Mar 2004

a few for you...

I don't think of these while riding, but sometimes I post them around to get my sorry ass out on the trail...

The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    - George Shultz

It is a sublime thing to suffer and be stronger.
    - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

People think I won the Olympic because I have a secret. Of course my Gold Medal has nothing to do with the fact that I shot 300 arrows a day for two years, I have a %$@% secret.
    - Jay Barrs

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal, nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude.
    - Thomas Jefferson

The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
    - Sir Roger Bannister

There will come a point in the race, when you alone will need to decide. You will need to make a choice. Do you really want it? You will need to decide.
    - Rolf Arands

People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike six hours a day. What are YOU on?
    - Lance Armstrong

If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.

It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.
    - Muhammad Ali

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way.
    - Mark Twain

Few of us know what we are capable of doing . . .; We have never pushed ourselves hard enough to find out.
    - Alfred A. Montapert

The start of a World Cross Country event is like riding a horse in the middle of a buffalo stampede. It's a thrill if you keep up, but one slip and you're nothing but hoof prints.
    - Ed Eyestone

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming *WOW*! What A Ride!

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos. Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.
    - I Ching

Often the true test of courage is not to die, but to live.
    - Count Vittorio Alfieri

Significant problems you face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    - Albert Einstein

Security is mostly a superstition. It is not found in nature and children of man do not as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    - Helen Keller

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
    - Mark Twain

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them.
    - George Bernard Shaw

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure . . . than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Even the strongest have their moments of fatigue.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

The Riddler
    Thats a great list.

The Riddler
    mine? "Nothing ever gets easier." My dad.

Slow Guy

motivate

"If you are going through Hell....Keep going!" - Momma Element

element
    mmm.....dirt

surly inbred

just think...

would you rather be here (riding) or at work?

Youngbuck
    Just thought of another one.

"Everything gets harder before it gets easier"-someone.
    [SIZE=3]Honorary Member of the: 500 club[/SIZE]

lizard of doom
    I love how at the bottom of your post, it said "buy products mentioned in this post: Lance Armstrong. "

Since when is he for sale?
    And where can I get one?
    lol

-skink
    live long and prosper

V-Shaped Rut
    My favorite:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt

A Real Winner.
    "Sell first worry later"

I guess that doesn't apply. But that is my motivational quote for retail sales people.

Super Genius gone noMAD
    Pain is only a state of mind!

mtbr member
    “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
    --- Ursula K. Le Guin

“Some people see things as they are and ask ‘why’; I dream things that never were and ask ‘why not?’”
    --- George Bernard Shaw

“Cherish your vision and dreams as they are the children of your soul – the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.”
    --- Napoleon Hill

Those who lack belief will not in turn be believed.
    --- Tao Te Ching

“Believing ‘I can’ is self-direction, not self-deception.”

“Performance is the result of your priorities, not your abilities.”

Act out the laws of your inner Self, trust the inherent correctness of your instincts…. In this way you will meet with success.
    --- I Ching

22minutes 47 seconds
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire".

This is a Fred Shero quote, he was a coach with the Philadelphia Flyers in the 70's
    So How does it feel being beat by a 12 year old?

Anytime. Anywhere.

maybe not motivational

but it works for me. "Get off the couch and ride you lazy sack of shi#."
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 08-10-2004 at 07:31 AM. Reason: speling
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by xc_burner
    "Second place is the first to LOSE !!! " ....dunno who originally penned it...heh

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Perfect, I love it

mtbr member
    I think I came up with this one myself during a table service class in culinary school-
    The glass isn't half empty, it isn't half full. It needs more water.
    Also see below.
    I like to ride bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast