mtbr member

Most important MTB training target?

Could use some opinions. I've been on the road mostly for the past few years and need a jump up on my MTB (technical is fine). I'm thinking lactate threshold. Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well what are you training for?

mtbr member

In addition to maximizing W/kg LT

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Could use some opinions. I've been on the road mostly for the past few years and need a jump up on my MTB (technical is fine). I'm thinking lactate threshold. Any other ideas?
    To get specific for mtb xc, I would personally like to also develop rapid recovery from above LT efforts while riding at LT, cause I really sucked at that today on a hilly race course with some steep ups.

I have read that Morris subscribes to doing LT intervals with spikes in power output to develop this attribute, but I think just riding your mtb and really hitting the small hills would do the same thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How about go do hard trail rides twice weekly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu View Post
    To get specific for mtb xc, I would personally like to also develop rapid recovery from above LT efforts while riding at LT, cause I really sucked at that today on a hilly race course with some steep ups.

I have read that Morris subscribes to doing LT intervals with spikes in power output to develop this attribute, but I think just riding your mtb and really hitting the small hills would do the same thing.
    over under intervals

how'd you do at chain drive? I only shaved 4 minutes off my time from last year. I know theres more single track now, but, I was hoping for a better performance. oh well.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I think that VO2Max is extremely important, being able to recover fast after this kind of effort. FTP would be more important on a longer course or a flatter course.
    Other things that you may need as a road cyclist is the ability to relax on technical downhills, since even when you are not pedalling your heart rate can be high on the downhill if you aren't relaxed, this will allow you to recover and get ready for the next effort.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    How about go do hard trail rides twice weekly.
    When I do more road riding and miss mtb time, just riding hard on the trail is what is most important to me.

It takes a little while for my legs to adjust from pedaling a 16 lb. bike with skinny tires on the road (not much rolling resistance) to pedaling a 22 lb. pound on dirt and rock with tires more than twice as wide that have big knobs on them.

In addition, you just don't get the constant variation in effort on the road bike that you get in mountain biking and need to get your legs and body used to all the really short but cumulatively important anaerobic efforts. I'm talking the things you barely even notice just once--a harder pedal stroke to power over a rock or root, braking and accelerating out of corners again and again and again, pushing the bike hard into a banked turning using your whole body, etc.--these are things you don't really get when riding on the road all the time. Over the course of an hour and a half mtb race they are the things your body won't handle well if all your training has been on the road.

mtbr member

fakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    over under intervals

how'd you do at chain drive? I only shaved 4 minutes off my time from last year. I know theres more single track now, but, I was hoping for a better performance. oh well.
    4th in age group, and I know exactly where i lost the podium. That first little 45 degree uphill with ~5 miles to go put me in the red and he recovered much faster. he dropped right after the top definitely need some of the 'over-under' intervals

I think you taking 4 minutes off on a new course that probably added 3-4 minutes is darn good

mtbr member
    RPM. whatever intervals you do try to keep rpm 80 or less.

I've done mostly road racing the past couple of years,and I've feel that I've lost the ability to produce power at a low rpm.

Road racing or group riding the high rpm is critical to keep gaps from forming. But bad for mtb, especially on a hardtail.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 06-20-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Vo2 Max and FTP....
    www.sebastcycling.com

2011 Jamis Dakar XCR team
    2011 Jamis Dakota DXC Team
    2010 Jamis Xenith SL Team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu View Post
    4th in age group, and I know exactly where i lost the podium. That first little 45 degree uphill with ~5 miles to go put me in the red and he recovered much faster. he dropped right after the top definitely need some of the 'over-under' intervals

I think you taking 4 minutes off on a new course that probably added 3-4 minutes is darn good
    I crashed on that hill! I spun, fell over clipped in, and then rolled down it a few feet. Got some scrapes and bruises. The guy behind me was wearing a helmet cam too!

Sorry to hear about you missing the podium. I dont really do intervals, but, I think I may have to start. I've been trying to throw more hills into my rides though. Thanks for the props!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Well what are you training for?
    A basketball game.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback View Post

In addition, you just don't get the constant variation in effort on the road bike that you get in mountain biking and need to get your legs and body used to all the really short but cumulatively important anaerobic efforts.
    Try a road crit, it'll give you all that and more. I only have two under my belt, but they are some of the hardest racing I've done. Brake, corner, sprint, spin fast, repeat. It even gets harder if you get to the tail end of the pack. But, holding position in the pack isn't easy either, if you aren't moving forward, you're moving back. I've just been using them as training races, but also having fun learning something new. But, the have been some of the hardest workouts I've ever done. It really pushes you to reach new levels, because you'll work so hard to keep a wheel or you get dropped and there is almost no catching back on later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The most important target should be whatever your main weaknesses/limiters are.

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    The most important target should be whatever your main weaknesses/limiters are.
    I second that... Work on your weaknesses & race your strengths.

One of my favorite quotes "amateurs do it till they get it right, pro's do it till they can't get it wrong"
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Riding more than you were before.

consistently.