mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Morris Plan/ Flu adjustment

Hoping to get some input about possible adjustments to Morris plan.
    I got the flu after a good 3 weeks in the weight room. I like the plan for this reason. I have to build mucsle in off season. The flu knocked me on my ass for 3 weeks. I'm going to go back in to the weight room when I should be just finishing up in there. I feel like i'll be almost starting over.
    I'm thinking about trying to do about 3 more weeks in there. and shorten some other areas. First priority race begining of may. So I'm thinking about doing the interval phases right after the weight room then endurance. Anyone tried that?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
    Hoping to get some input about possible adjustments to Morris plan.
    I got the flu after a good 3 weeks in the weight room. I like the plan for this reason. I have to build mucsle in off season. The flu knocked me on my ass for 3 weeks. I'm going to go back in to the weight room when I should be just finishing up in there. I feel like i'll be almost starting over.
    I'm thinking about trying to do about 3 more weeks in there. and shorten some other areas. First priority race begining of may. So I'm thinking about doing the interval phases right after the weight room then endurance. Anyone tried that?
    Considering the Morris pre-season plan is to be started 20-22 weeks before your racing season begins and his suggestion "you should add an extra week to ten days to the program to account for unforeseen interruptions caused by illness, work, or school" - where exactly were you in the 20-22 weeks before the flu?

Glad you're feeling better, but it's hard to answer without knowing when you started, where you are and when your racing season begins. Looks like there are 15 weeks to go before the priority race you mentioned. Assuming the pre-season Morris plan prepares you for the start of racing season, when is your 1st peak scheduled to be?

Typically, one would do the endurance phase first under most plans before moving on to SSP and MSP intervals. What would your goal be of reversing that process?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had a touch of that this year too, so I know what your are going through. I was off the bike for 10 days before I felt better and then after my first workout back, I realized that I wasn't feeling better.

BruceBrown gave you some good advice in that you really have to look at how much time you have before you are wanting to be racing well. After 3 weeks of inactivity, your weight training responses are probably gone, so if you are considering getting back into the weightroom, you should start over from the beginning. The other option is to forget the weight work - what's gone is gone, and start with your on-the-bike training. Give yourself 10 days - 2 weeks of pretty mellow riding to get your legs back and then start with your aerobic endurance phase of the training. This should give you plenty of time to be ready by early May.

Best of Luck,

Dave Morris

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah sorry for lack of a few details. I was running late for work. My Goals going into this season is the same as privious. I lack power. I'd like to maintain/increase that. May 11th I want the seventh lap at 12 hours of mesa verde that has eluded me. Two times I've got the 100 mile 6 lap mark this year I gotta get the 116.
    I should be able to do this with cutting down transitions and if I can bring the pace up even a little it will help a ton.
    Where I am in training. I got in a really good 3 weeks of weights. One of the measuring sticks that I use is the Hinged leg press. In the past I've gotten up to 7 plates 8 reps before I go to the speeding up Power part of the resistance training. I've been very close to putting on the 8th plate (was hoping to do that this year) Before Flu I just put on the 6th plate. To simplify time frame. (pre flu). I was thinking of Feb endurance. March SMSP Ints. April MSP Ints. Now I really have to figure out a new plan. I still have to get back in the wieght room. It's the only way I get mucsle on the legs.
    The reason I was thinking of switching the Endurance phase. I can and feel just fine doing the intervals on the trainer in the winter. Its very controlled, and session lenght is fine. In the past I always try to do long sessions on the trainer for the endurance but it's pretty miserible. If I switch them up. I will be able to do the endurance outside and it would be closer to training for the endurance race. As for the buffer I started a week or two earlier than past this year but this flu destroyed me. Not just 3 weeks off but I went backwards. Hope it comes back quick. Oh My stats. Long time rider with a few races a year. 38 Years old, 5'8" 150lbs.
    I really appreciate you imput guys.

Always Learning
    Yeah sorry for lack of a few details. I was running late for work. My Goals going into this season is the same as privious. I lack power. I'd like to maintain/increase that. May 11th I want the seventh lap at 12 hours of mesa verde that has eluded me. Two times I've got the 100 mile 6 lap mark this year I gotta get the 116.
    I should be able to do this with cutting down transitions and if I can bring the pace up even a little it will help a ton.
    Where I am in training. I got in a really good 3 weeks of weights. One of the measuring sticks that I use is the Hinged leg press. In the past I've gotten up to 7 plates 8 reps before I go to the speeding up Power part of the resistance training. I've been very close to putting on the 8th plate (was hoping to do that this year) Before Flu I just put on the 6th plate. To simplify time frame. (pre flu). I was thinking of Feb endurance. March SMSP Ints. April MSP Ints. Now I really have to figure out a new plan. I still have to get back in the wieght room. It's the only way I get mucsle on the legs.
    The reason I was thinking of switching the Endurance phase. I can and feel just fine doing the intervals on the trainer in the winter. Its very controlled, and session lenght is fine. In the past I always try to do long sessions on the trainer for the endurance but it's pretty miserible. If I switch them up. I will be able to do the endurance outside and it would be closer to training for the endurance race. As for the buffer I started a week or two earlier than past this year but this flu destroyed me. Not just 3 weeks off but I went backwards. Hope it comes back quick. Oh My stats. Long time rider with a few races a year. 38 Years old, 5'8" 150lbs.
    I really appreciate you imput guys.
    Is there no way to get outside and do some winter endurance training - especially on the weekends? Bar Mitts, winter cycling shoes and full body warmth gear, hit some gravel roads and or cleared bike paths for a few hours every weekend to supplement your indoor trainer riding during the week?

It would seem for your event, the endurance building should be taking priority at this point in spite of the winter weather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks Bruce, I'm with you thinking the Endurance training is very important, also the quality of it is very important too. The thought behind me wanting to switch it up is this. I can focus on the intervals on the trainer it's very controlled. If I do intervals outside in April they won't have the quality, and if I do them on the trainer in April I'll be kicking myself for not riding outside. Plus I won't be prepping for a 12 hr solo doing 1.5 hour workouts. In addition the Endurance won't have the quality whether I'm on the trainer(because I know I'll cut them short out of boredom) or trying to do it occasionally outside. It seems to me I could solve both these problems by switching the intervals and the endurance. Plus if the Endurance is in April I can practice pace, lap times, fuel, strategy etc. Before the race.
    I'm guessing the reason the Morris plan is drawn up the way it is, is to get leg muscles trained spinning, get the lungs prepped for intervals, I'm sure that there is a slue of reasons. I'm not going to dispute any of them. I'm just wondering if in my situation having done this plan in the past 5 years, It seems to be the only one that addresses picking up pace, and power. It is my choice of plans. The only area that I feel like I could improve would be truely fulfilling the endurance phase outside in decent weather. The bonus is it would be leading up to an endurance event. As always thanks much for input I'm very appreciative.

Always Learning
    Thanks Bruce, I'm with you thinking the Endurance training is very important, also the quality of it is very important too. The thought behind me wanting to switch it up is this. I can focus on the intervals on the trainer it's very controlled. If I do intervals outside in April they won't have the quality, and if I do them on the trainer in April I'll be kicking myself for not riding outside. Plus I won't be prepping for a 12 hr solo doing 1.5 hour workouts. In addition the Endurance won't have the quality whether I'm on the trainer(because I know I'll cut them short out of boredom) or trying to do it occasionally outside. It seems to me I could solve both these problems by switching the intervals and the endurance. Plus if the Endurance is in April I can practice pace, lap times, fuel, strategy etc. Before the race.
    I'm guessing the reason the Morris plan is drawn up the way it is, is to get leg muscles trained spinning, get the lungs prepped for intervals, I'm sure that there is a slue of reasons. I'm not going to dispute any of them. I'm just wondering if in my situation having done this plan in the past 5 years, It seems to be the only one that addresses picking up pace, and power. It is my choice of plans. The only area that I feel like I could improve would be truely fulfilling the endurance phase outside in decent weather. The bonus is it would be leading up to an endurance event. As always thanks much for input I'm very appreciative.
    I think this just gets the discussion back to your original question: So I'm thinking about doing the interval phases right after the weight room then endurance. Anyone tried that?

Most would respond - "No, I haven't tried that".

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Very true. I guess I'll be my own guinea pig. (I can only blame myself)
    I drew up a loose plan today. To be honest isn't that half the battle, drawing up a plan and following through with it. Yesterday I had 100 days. I'm going to do 5 days rest between phases (included in my numbers)
    25 days weights. 10 hypotrophy 10 power
    25 days SMSP ints
    25 days MSP ints
    25 days Endurance (Practice for Endurance race)
    7 day taper.
    I know that this isn't Ideal but I think I'm going to give it a shot I'm ears for Tweaks otherwise I'll let you know how it comes out in May. Well I'll do my 1,3,6,12 min tests at end of March I'll probably know then. I've got some good numbers to compare. When I moved out here to Colorado I lost 15% accross the board. Three years I got 5% back each year. So I'm definatly struggling with the platau now but I'm going to try and try hard. As always appriciate the input

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I thought I'd follow up and try to be as objective as possible.
    The race was Saturday and things went very well. I achieved my goal of 7 laps 115 miles. New ground for me. The condiditons were Ideal, you couldn't ask for anything better. Bike worked very well. I fueled good, paced good and managed time better then previously.
    The training leading up to event: I did the weights, then straight to intervals. That transition was a lot harder than I expected. When going to the endurance phase I kind of felt I may have even lacked a little due to weather but was still 10 time better than what it would have been if I tried to get out in Feb-early march. I kept better numbers in 2011 than 2012 since I didn't race much in 2012 but the spring on 2012 let me get in some nice base road miles. I feel I made very slight improvements from 2011-12 and I feel this year with switching things up and doing the best I could I matched 2012 or made a very slight gain. My lap times this year were lower than 2 years ago about 5% I'd say.
    I guess I just wanted to follow up and say for starters I'm stoked about race results, but also say how the switch worked. It isn't Ideal I wouldn't do it again if I wasn't in the position that I was, but in this one case I felt it was was the best option and under those circumstances I would probably do it that way again.....but I'm getting the shot from now on hope it never comes to that. Sorry about the lenght Hope it helps someone in future.