mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Morning Training Ride Fail

Got up at 7 this morning for an hour ride before class. As I topped out of the first climb (about 8 minutes, and 14 minutes into the ride), it was like someone slapped me with fatigue, sleepiness, a headache, and pain in my ears.

I have ridden early (and even earlier) before. I did not eat before I left the house. I did not drink coffee. I was not terribly dehydrated. I did not sleep so well last night. It was colder (56 *F) than it has been and I felt like I could have used some arm warmers.

On the climb, I was a hero. I kept a good pace, stayed on top of my gear, and had good form. I took a minute at the top, and decided to head back. I just didnt feel good.

I have about 4 weeks until 'cross season and I feel like I am wasting time! Should I chalk it up to a bad day? Eat something tomorrow morning? HTFU?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would say try hydrating a little more and maybe eat a banana or yogurt before you ride. I ride a lot on little sleep and although sleep is very important for your body to recover I've never had a problem with hitting a wall b/c of it. The cold could also have played a role as you just woke up and it was still cold so your body didn't wake up fully. You're not alone though... I say just a bad morning mostly.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    Got up at 7 this morning for an hour ride before class. As I topped out of the first climb (about 8 minutes, and 14 minutes into the ride), it was like someone slapped me with fatigue, sleepiness, a headache, and pain in my ears.

I have ridden early (and even earlier) before. I did not eat before I left the house. I did not drink coffee. I was not terribly dehydrated. I did not sleep so well last night. It was colder (56 *F) than it has been and I felt like I could have used some arm warmers.

On the climb, I was a hero. I kept a good pace, stayed on top of my gear, and had good form. I took a minute at the top, and decided to head back. I just didnt feel good.

I have about 4 weeks until 'cross season and I feel like I am wasting time! Should I chalk it up to a bad day? Eat something tomorrow morning? HTFU?
    Didn't eat anything? Your gylcogen reserves are pretty empty first thing in the morning depending upon what you ate the night before can be completely empty. You need to put some fuel in.

Personally I can't even turn the alarm clock off until I have had a bowel of cereal.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine