mtbr member
    Aug 2012

might be nutrition, might be training? but, question.. feeling fatigued lately.

So I have been riding this winter, much more than normal. Spinning three days a week and getting more and more miles in on the dirt... but this last week, I have just felt so tired and I go on rides and... just feel out of gas. Not sure if its from not eating enough? or maybe my body is just not used to this much mileage yet. Sleeping has been good...

just a question I know its pretty noobish... figured this would be a great place to ask though.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    So I have been riding this winter, much more than normal. Spinning three days a week and getting more and more miles in on the dirt... but this last week, I have just felt so tired and I go on rides and... just feel out of gas. Not sure if its from not eating enough? or maybe my body is just not used to this much mileage yet. Sleeping has been good...

just a question I know its pretty noobish... figured this would be a great place to ask though.
    It's sort of hard to answer without much more information.

Do you ever take a rest and recovery week?

Three spin days per week, plus your dirt miles = how many hours on the bike per week. What zones do you target on all of those days? Do you have rest and recovery days during your week? Have you followed a structured training plan before?

Your body sounds like it is begging for some recovery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree with bruce

It's to early in season to be smoked

Check out this link
    Can we discuss post training/riding leg fatigue please?

Joe Friel - Five Fundamentals of Training

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I actually took this last week really easy... one mid length ride, and then I went out today for 10 miles... no spin days at all.

and not really following any structured plan... I entered the sea otter, and just started trying to get as many miles in to get ready.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Are "spin days" spin classes?

I find that three workouts a week with biggish efforts in them start to wear me down. I can ride a ton at a mellower pace, though.

One of the values of following more structured plans can be in limiting one's build. For example, I came back several years ago from some knee problems that had bothered me for years and prevented me from training with much volume at all. I had a bad pattern of reinjuring myself, waiting until I felt okay, and then reinjuring myself again. The way I eventually got past that was to cut my volume way down, to something that didn't hurt me, and then build at 10%/week. I was just counting miles at that time. While I do prefer hours now, I don't think it's terribly important - just be consistent.

I don't know if you keep records, or how detailed. But how this applies to you is this - go back to the last volume you were able to sustain long-term, and just ride that much for a few weeks, until you're feeling better again. Then add volume back at 10%/week. It becomes more than you'll fit in your life surprisingly quickly, at which point you're basically free to do whatever you want again.

Of course, if you're doing something else to sabotage yourself, this may not apply. Not eating enough can certainly do it. Also stuff like not sleeping enough, stressing out too much, a change in bike fit that doesn't work for you, increasing intensity all of a sudden... My thing really only applies if it's about volume.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need some rest. I recently took a week out because I was feeling a bit week on the bike. I'd simply overdone it and needed to rest up
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    I actually took this last week really easy... one mid length ride, and then I went out today for 10 miles... no spin days at all.

and not really following any structured plan... I entered the sea otter, and just started trying to get as many miles in to get ready.
    Be careful, it's not all about just getting a lot of miles, they need to be structured to a certain extent. Going out for 3 hard 50 mile rides a week is just going to grind you into the ground after a few weeks.

I have a coach, my riding is much less intense that I would have thought, but I am very happy with my results thus far. The intense intervals/rides are really hard, but it's always followed by a rest day which is typically an hour ride in Z1, focus on spinning and staying relaxed.

Now is not the time to cut back calories. Eat healthy/full meals and NEVER go hungry on the bike. I find if I finish hungry, it really hampers my riding for 2-3 days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    that did happen to me... I got pretty hungry on the bike.

I have started doing more and more reading on programs, just to get a basic idea of how to train for a race or even just this summer of riding.

what do you guys eat before riding?

I really appreciate the responses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I often go out for a lunch break 1 to 1.5 hour ride as my work allows, I usually make a sandwich and cut it in half, eat half before and the other half after. Sports drink on the ride, cytomax, cliffshot or powerbar drink, and some powdered protein drink after the ride. If it's a first thing in the morning ride, 2 eggs and a small slice of ham in some olive oil sit really well, along with a cup of coffee.
    I also have found I feel better overall if I don't allow myself to get too hungry, I keep protein type bars (kashi, cliff bars etc) in my car and when I start to feel like my stomach is pretty empty I eat one of those and make it until lunch, I've been trying to not ever get really empty stomach hungry, and I feel a little better overall.

I also do some rides on a pretty full stomach, this might just be my opinion, but I can't always time my eating just-right before a race to have the 'ideal' amount of food in my stomach, so if my body is used to riding hard with a fuller stomach I'll be able to ride hard even if I ate too big a meal too soon before a race or hard ride.
    I'd rather ride/race with a little more food in my gut ideal than too little.

Formerly of Kent
    What is your athletic history? How long have you been riding?

Like everything, you have to build up to it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I vary. I don't go for rides without having eaten something earlier in the day, so no rides before breakfast. But if I'm only going for an hour or two, I just go. Longer than that, and I start taking power bars and gels with me, and putting half-strength Gatorade in one bottle.

On race mornings, I usually still have my usual breakfast. For 'cross, I eat lighter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    When I'm feeling tired; 2 days off, ride (not super hard), 2 days off, ride (etc), -I'm not a coach, but rest is important, you may well be overtrained. When I'm rested/recovered, I feel really good.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    It sounds like you need more time to recover. My nonprofessional opinion would be get a ton of sleep and do another rest and recovery week. Ride 1-3 times next week, but take it easy.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback... its also one of those things you have to hear it from others, I just want to push push push... but, obviously in this situation that could be bad. this week I have taken it easy again, 1 10 mile ride on tues, spin on friday... then today I am going to go out after work and get some miles in... maybe ride tomorrow but not sure. The sea otter is in two weeks, so that should be interesting. The mileage I am not worried about, its the climbing. thats why I was trying to get so many miles in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What, I have to rest????
    Say it isn't so!?
    I try to ride 4 times per week - 8 mile trail - I can't seem to take it easy, once I get out there I just wanna go!
    My legs do feel a bit tired right now...
    Time to go to sleep