mtbr member

Midweek Race Growth

Midweek racing. What's not to love?

10 dollar entry fee, nice-short technical XC racing. Short punchy hills with the XCO format. Downhillers and power riders rejoice!! No USA licensing to worry about. Just grassroots racing pitting neighbor vs neighbor .

Here's the link for our series (it's over for the season):
    Mt. Ogden Race Series -

I didn't do a single weekend XC race this season, and didn't miss it: high entry fees, ridiculously long climbs for the anorexically challenged, long drives to the venues, races just waaayy too long, etc.

So what other states/towns have local midweek races growing? I think in Colorado they have a few. Also up in Boise.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Midweek racing. What's not to love?

10 dollar entry fee, nice-short technical XC racing. Short punchy hills with the XCO format. Downhillers and power riders rejoice!! No USA licensing to worry about. Just grassroots racing pitting neighbor vs neighbor .

Here's the link for our series (it's over for the season):
    Mt. Ogden Race Series -

I didn't do a single weekend XC race this season, and didn't miss it: high entry fees, ridiculously long climbs for the anorexically challenged, long drives to the venues, races just waaayy too long, etc.

So what other states/towns have local midweek races growing? I think in Colorado they have a few. Also up in Boise.
    I don't like flat crits for the same reason you don't like traditional XC courses - they don't suit my strengths You would probably call me anorexically challenged, BMI around 20.5 or so.

All kidding aside - I hope our local midweek race series goes to a XCO-type format. A few of us are pushing for it... a lot to be said for a midweek workout thats both shorter and faster than your weekend races... plus more fun to watch with shorter laps and more action.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    [QUOTE

So what other states/towns have local midweek races growing? I think in Colorado they have a few. Also up in Boise.[/QUOTE]

Nothing in Boise yet. Would love to get something going, just not sure of a suitable venue.....................put's thinking cap on...................

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Well, I live in San Diego and used to drive up to Irvine for the awesome Over the Hump midweek race series.

No need to do that now that we have the even awesomer Quick n Dirty midweek race series on our doorstep.

Very cool stuff. It's about time eh!?

Registered Dietitian
    I should have mentioned - here in the Triad of North Carolina (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) we have an awesome Wednesday night series that just ended last week. We rotate between 6-7 courses and have an overall series championship for each category. Great times, and a great way to get folks into racing. The promoter is a very good friend of mine and has done a great job.

TMTB Series

Fat-tired Roadie
    Seattle lost its. There are two for the roadies, though, and I've been hitting the velodrome on Wednesday nights. I moved recently, and races have gone from being annoyingly far to too far for me to be willing to make the drive anymore.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    awesomer Quick n Dirty midweek race series on our doorstep.
    $25-30 per race, yikes!! I don't know how our promoters keep it at 10 bucks. It's been that way since the beginning. The SLC midweek series is up to 15 bucks.

We got new promoters this season and they even lowered prices for HS racers to 5 bucks.

HS racers are taking over BTW: one week they got 1st, 4th, and 6th in the A's (when our top Ogden pros didn't show up; they still give them a run for their money). I can't compete with those kids, not even close. I moved back down to the Bs.
    www.utahmtb.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We have a 4 race series here in northern Virginia which runs June through July. This year's edition was the 13th year they've held it, although as a new mtb racer, this was the first time I've participated. The trails they hold it on are narrower than most of the trails I've raced on this year at other venues, so it's all about the hole shot :-)

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Every Wednesday night at Catamount in VT. You can race anywhere from 5k to 20k for $10 per race or a season's pass that comes out to something obscenely low per race. There are usually some insanely fast guys in the 4 loop races. I'm usually near the front of Cat 2 races, but I'm not even close in these ones. If you're lucky Lea Davison usually comes out when she's home too.
    Wednesday Night Mountain Bike Series ยป Catamount Outdoor Family Center

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflo View Post

Nothing in Boise yet. Would love to get something going, just not sure of a suitable venue.....................put's thinking cap on...................
    Bogus Basin would be a great venue.
    www.utahmtb.org

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There's a couple of mid week series in the Toronto area. I've taken part in one of them, an 18 week race series at Durham Forest that ends this Thursday. Lots of fun, great atmosphere, short commute, short race, low cost, great trails, wide range of rider abilities. What's not to love? Plus I got to meet Emily Batty when she came out to ring the start bell and sign autographs.
    BikeNXS | Durham Region MTB Coaching and Racing

mtbr member

Re: Midweek Race Growth

Missoula, Montana has a mid week Beer League Series, sponsored by a local brewery! I have never done one, but they sure look fun. They race on a watered-down version of the ProXCT Missoula course.
    They also do a weekly cyclocross series. I wish my town (Helena) had these.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    The best local series I've been to was actually not weekly, but once a month March-November in Yellow Creek PA. Still cost $10. Races were between 50 minutes and 1.5 hours, although they had a longer course this year. Nice laid back races, 15-30 people max. No classes (until this year, but still only 2), and a small payout for the top 1/3 or so. It was done (mostly) by 2 local guys who weren't making any money at it, but just wanted to have a fun local race, and worked with a local park to do so. Best racing for my money I've had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Bogus Basin would be a great venue.
    Not to sound like my glass is half empty, but, I think Bogus has some limiters that might be tough to work around. Hope someone will prove me wrong though, because there is some great single track up there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa - Quarter Rage - center of town, 5 mile singletrack TT course (loop); whenever Squirrel feels like putting one on (usually monthly). No insurance, no registration, show up drop $0.25 in a bucket, get in line and go off in min intervals. Winner takes home a sock of quarters. Everyone brings drinks and sometimes the grill is brought out.

Races don't have to be fancy to be fun.

mtbr member
    We have the Reno Twilight Series in Reno NV which runs for 8 thursday nights in May and June, it draws anywhere from 50-100 riders per event. It starts at 6:30 pm and usually runs about 8-12 miles depending on category. They use 4 or 5 different venues to mix it up. We then have the Northstar at Tahoe XC series in Truckee (about a 40 min drive from reno), that used to be 8 consecutive thursdays in July and August but this year the promoter thought he could draw more riders by running a few events on Saturday mornings which totally flopped, attendance on Saturdays has been pitiful.