Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ups and downs

Men's Elite Worlds

Kabush is in 3rd into the single track on the start lap.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ups and downs
    Kabush is knocking the knobs off of Absalon's back tire he's so close. Running a 1x9 in this race.

Formerly of Kent
    Surprised the Swiss aren't playing games with Absalon yet.

Still early, but I'd make Absalon work.

Formerly of Kent
    Typical terrible start by Adam Craig.

I'm a huge fan, and he's a super cool dude, but he needs to learn how to warm up properly, because he digs himself a HUGE hole at every World Cup.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That is a tough start there. The road isn't quite steep enough to force a selection based on fitness. It comes down to has the pack skills to move up.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Was that Geoff I saw in the pit? If so it wasn't a long stop.

Formerly of Kent
    I thought that showboating, doping jackass Meirhaeghe retired?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    No, back racing for at least a couple of years now. Some road, some XC. You are correct though, that when he first got popped he said he was "retiring". Probably just a way to cop a bit more favourable public opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was led to believe that the Belgian World Cup was his last race, obviously not.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    No, back racing for at least a couple of years now. Some road, some XC. You are correct though, that when he first got popped he said he was "retiring". Probably just a way to cop a bit more favourable public opinion.
    No, I'm talking about his showboating at his "last race" at Houffalize this year. Dude was pulling wheelies for the crowd on a climb when other people behind him were putting in an honest effort to finish the race. He said he was retiring after that race. Or at least that's what I read.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal.s
    I was led to believe that the Belgian World Cup was his last race, obviously not.
    LOL. I must have missed his latest "retirement".

Formerly of Kent
    Why do they keep questioning Sven Nys' ability to ride a 2hr race?

They know he races for a Pro Continental road team, and grew up racing in BELGIUM, right?

Edit: And that he was top 10 at Beijing...
    Last edited by Le Duke; 09-04-2009 at 10:36 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Now that was a bike race!!!

LCW
    mtbr member
    Great race indeed!!

LCW
    mtbr member
    At least Geoff made it in the top 5

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Way tho go Nino!! amazing race, it was just exciting to see someone take it to Absalon for once

LCW
    mtbr member
    Only one FS in top 10 - Sauser (which I though he was better... he should retire...)

and no 29ers in the top 7....

so much for the claim that "HT 26ers are dead"... lol (even though I ride a FS 26er )

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

They know he races for a Pro Continental road team, and grew up racing in BELGIUM, right?

Because as you saw in the race. For the first 1hr he was with the best after that he started to fall back.

It will take him another couple of years of MTB racing to be able to hold his pace. The endurance demands of XC racing are unique.

Really what people have done on the road means nothing on the dirt, particularly at the elite level.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    Only one FS in top 10 - Sauser (which I though he was better... he should retire...)

so much for the claim that "HT 26ers are dead"... lol (even though I ride a FS 26er )
    I must admit watching those guys fly down those descents it is pretty hard to argue that the 26inch hardtails are holding them back.

is buachail foighneach me

i've been on 29" wheels for several years now, but i've gotta admit, todd looked alot more hesitant over those boulders than nearly all the other riders in the top 20 they showed footage of. could be he's not a strong tech rider, could be fatigue, or could have just been bad camera timing.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Meirhaeghe is anything but that. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the friendliest racers I've ever met. Having read his book has only strengthened my idea of him. He's not a doping jackass, he's a pretty emotional guy who wanted to be the best, nothing more. Sometimes people make mistakes, and at least he was brave enough to admit it.

mtbr member

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Orkje

Meirhaeghe is anything but that. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the friendliest racers I've ever met. Having read his book has only strengthened my idea of him. He's not a doping jackass, he's a pretty emotional guy who wanted to be the best, nothing more. Sometimes people make mistakes, and at least he was brave enough to admit it.
    Anyone who saw 'Off Road to Athens' and was even slightly sympathetic to the US racers is going to have a very poor opinion of Meirhaeghe.

His most famous quote' I can't believe they cut the course. They were actually ...CHEATING!'

2nd most famous quote 'The american racers just don't know what it takes'

paraphrased slightly

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, I suppose I'm biased, being Belgian, but I won't take back a single word. Calling any racer at that level a "showboating, doping jackass" shows an enormous lack of respect.
    Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, the wheelies Meirhaeghe was pulling during his (apparently not) last race were a homage to the supporters (and not just his supporters) lining the course.

I haven't seen 'Off Road to Athens', so I can't comment on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Amazing race!

Great to have a race come down to such a tight finish, with Nino's last lap surges spectacular.. I would've liked to see Kabush on the podium but he rode a great race nonetheless.

Besides being a good place to ride, Stromlo is really great for video coverage. So open, so you can see the battles develop.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Elite XCO Photos

From the final XCO day, Saturday 5 Sep 2009

Elite Women

Elite Men

A bit over 500 in each album...

ups and downs
    More tire problems for Kabush, from Canadian Cyclist...

"I had a slow leak in my tire," revealed Kabush, "so I had to stop in the pits for a quick wheel change [on lap three], which lost me a few seconds. On this course, with the long climb into the head wind, it meant that I just couldn't catch back onto the front group; I could see them there for a long time, but it was just so much harder to ride on your own out there. I guess you could say they were in a road race and I was in a time trial. Without that, maybe I could have been in medal contention. But I'm still very pleased, this is by far my best results at the world championships."

Considering how many times he's had flats running super light tires that have cost him positions in races, I'd be thinking that having truly flat resistant tires would be a bigger advantage than super light tires.

ups and downs
    To resolve the speculation about Absalon and the number of chainrings, Canadian Cyclist has a close up of Absalon's single chainring and chainguide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    looks like team usa needs to leave those 29ers at home next time.

is buachail foighneach me
    team usa's men haven't done well in the world championships on any wheel size in way too long.

Formerly of Kent
    Well, I suppose I'm biased, being Belgian, but I won't take back a single word. Calling any racer at that level a "showboating, doping jackass" shows an enormous lack of respect.

BTW, the wheelies Meirhaeghe was pulling during his (apparently not) last race were a homage to the supporters (and not just his supporters) lining the course.

So, wait, you're saying he's not a doping jackass?

Last time I checked, he served a two year ban for cheating. Why in the world should I respect him?

fella
    The last lap was very tense. I was so glad that Nino was able to pull off the win. And he did it with style!

BTW, I was really surprised when Burry Stander said he never tried a 29er.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Because as you saw in the race. For the first 1hr he was with the best after that he started to fall back.

It will take him another couple of years of MTB racing to be able to hold his pace. The endurance demands of XC racing are unique.

Really what people have done on the road means nothing on the dirt, particularly at the elite level.

I'm not buying it. He's racing on cross form right now and doing pretty damn good. If he wanted to do better at MTB and sacrifice cross season it'd only take him a few months to get that kind of fitness. If he tries I guarantee he could win a MTB World cup. It makes me laugh when commentators question his skill also, have these guys ever watched a World Cup cyclocross race, the guy is a freak on a bike......and an ex-BMX champion.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What if we just called him a former doper? Would that be OK??
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    How about "doper returned from suspension"? After all, we don't really know if his use of PEDs is only in the past. One could say that he deserves the benefit of a doubt having served out his suspension, but personally I'll reserve that right for those who haven't beeen caught in the first place.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I'm not buying it. He's racing on cross form right now and doing pretty damn good. If he wanted to do better at MTB and sacrifice cross season it'd only take him a few months to get that kind of fitness. If he tries I guarantee he could win a MTB World cup. It makes me laugh when commentators question his skill also, have these guys ever watched a World Cup cyclocross race, the guy is a freak on a bike......and an ex-BMX champion.

There is no doubt that he has skills. But you saw the race, he couldn't hold Kabush's wheel on the descent. Although the descent was cool, it wasn't overly technical either.

He has the same sucess as in MTBing as Absalon would have in cross.

To ride in the top 10 is way different from winning. That last bit is incredibly hard to get.

mtbr member
    Great race and all, but how about that camera work?? The views were amazing! All of the overhead shots, the follow-throughs, and they were able to mix in replays of crashes and other highlights when away from the leaders. If you could get that quality of video, and replays instead of only live at ridiculous hours, there would surely be an increased following, which would probably lead to more/new/better sponsorship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just got done watching the men's race on freecaster - great race! I thought they only showed it live. I went there to check and there it was. Is this new?

The camera work was great. It was a pleasure to watch. Absolon looked really sooth, his attacks on lap five looked good but Nino was always there - well done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorthirst
    I just got done watching the men's race on freecaster - great race! I thought they only showed it live. I went there to check and there it was. Is this new?

The camera work was great. It was a pleasure to watch. Absolon looked really sooth, his attacks on lap five looked good but Nino was always there - well done.
    I agree, that was one of the best filmed mtb races i have ever watched.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We were just talking about that.

That is the first time have watched an XC race where it looked fast. It was a pefect course for filming.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2
    Great race and all, but how about that camera work?? The views were amazing! All of the overhead shots, the follow-throughs, and they were able to mix in replays of crashes and other highlights when away from the leaders. If you could get that quality of video, and replays instead of only live at ridiculous hours, there would surely be an increased following, which would probably lead to more/new/better sponsorship.
    Gotta get something good from something bad...

Part of the reason that the coverage at Stromlo is so good is because there are no trees. The park was created after a massive bushfire in January 2003, when it became one of the local Government's "Phoenix" projects.

Here are some photos of the action on the 18 January 2003.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How about "doper returned from suspension"? After all, we don't really know if his use of PEDs is only in the past. One could say that he deserves the benefit of a doubt having served out his suspension, but personally I'll reserve that right for those who haven't beeen caught in the first place.
    So, wait, you're saying he's not a doping jackass?

Last time I checked, he served a two year ban for cheating. Why in the world should I respect him?
    To use a very English expression: "I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree."

And to finally say something about the race: it WAS exciting. It really struck me how fast, almost roadish sections were combined with tight, rocky singletrack and with berm sections that would not be out of place in a 4X race. To see riders take it all on with flow, precision and at high speeds was a joy to see.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A bit of a mix of XCC, OT and DHI. Kabush won the short track.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill

Considering how many times he's had flats running super light tires that have cost him positions in races, I'd be thinking that having truly flat resistant tires would be a bigger advantage than super light tires.
    No kidding...Having ridden and raced on both the maxxis 310s and furious freds, and realizing how delicate both tires are, i cant even imagine why he would gamble so much on world cup level races. There are very few WC courses that are friendly to those tire types.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    http://soundcloud.com/deejayfeelgood

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by le Matelot
    A bit of a mix of XCC, OT and DHI. Kabush won the short track.
    What is XCC? Short track?

I'm assuming this is an unofficial event, for the riders to enjoy more than anything...

mtbr member
    Is there anywhere online I can view the footage?
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    cyclingdirt.org

ups and downs

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    What is XCC? Short track? I'm assuming this is an unofficial event, for the riders to enjoy more than anything...
    Yes, and Yes (and to take home some $$)

ups and downs
    Kabush Tweeted that he won more money in that one STXC race than he did in the entire US mountain bike series this year.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Kabush Tweeted that he won more money in that one STXC race than he did in the entire US mountain bike series this year.
    We aim to please

Tell the young fella that next year he should do the Tour de Timor if he wants to make his bank manager happy. The overall men's and women's races were won by Neil van der Ploeg (who Kabush raced in the XCC on Sunday at the World Champs) and Tory Thomas. Both those riders missed out on Australian Team selection for the World Champs by a whisker, but came home from the Tour de Timor with about $US 24,000 between them from individual and team performances. 1st prize overall was $US 15,000 and they paid down to 40th place.

Rumor is that next year it will be on a couple of weeks after the World Champs.

Various happy snaps are in 6 albums (about 10 to 15 albums back from the top now).

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by le Matelot
    Various happy snaps are in 6 albums (about 10 to 15 albums back from the top now).
    Love the irony of the sign in the background of this image

mtbr member
    Thanks for that link!

mtbr member
    that is a sweet looking race course and was a good race to watch. The women's race was pretty good too.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

UF Engineering Slave
    Amazing race. Great to see Kabush still in good spirits after a flat.

mtbr member

My impression was that the 29ers did great. Fastest guys/gals still win

Nice selective stats, no 29ers in top 7...BUT...8th place to a 29er for his highest Worlds finish ever (Todd Wells). According to singletrack.com he had the "ride of the day" coming back from a bad start and 29th position after lap 1.

And Ladies 2nd place Lene Byberg rides a FS and lead almost the entire race until the last lap.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkenn
    looks like team usa needs to leave those 29ers at home next time.
    Same comment as above, plus Women's race had a USA in 3rd for a best result years....on a 29er! It was great to see Willow's big wheels getting all that camera time, they looked cool and strobe-like with the paint on them. And Heather Irmiger with her best Worlds finish ever in 10th. Sounds like they brought the right bikes to me.
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 09-08-2009 at 04:05 PM.

ups and downs
    I wonder if Team Canada was sponsored by Air Canada?

mtbr member

No doubt, but to me the bigger question is....
    Why isn't Sven frickin' Nys riding a 29er? Does Colnago make one? He's the most bad ass cross racer of the generation, why wouldn't he want to bring that 700c "feel" to his MTB? I know, not apples to apples. But it seems to me like Nys could be the 29er ambassador that Europe needs!

mtbr member
    Nice to see Todd Wells grab a top-10 finish!
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    After all, we don't really know if his use of PEDs is only in the past
    Just as we don't know this for any other rider, who didn't get caught... yet.
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A couple of shots from the race.

Geoff Kabush entering Slant 6.

Adam Craig on the Fang.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Kabush definitely wins the contest for most jacked legs!
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

LCW
    mtbr member
    and note Kabush's single front ring (and no front shift pod)

VIP
    Jun 2006
    and note Kabush's single front ring (and no front shift pod)

and proper wheels?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by iwanttolookatpics
    and proper wheels?
    Interesting, those aren't XTR wheels. And that would go along with the note I read somewhere that he was running SRAM XX shifter and a 10 speed XX cassette, the Shimano sponsorship only applies to the World Cup races. But that looks like a XTR rear derailleur, maybe with that 29er Shimano cassette with the 36T gear.

mtbr member
    Surprised he's using that type water bottle cage, I always had issues with bottles bouncing out of those.
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    look like ZTR wheels to me - had noticed that in some other pics, that he was not on XTR wheels.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by XCFred
    Surprised he's using that type water bottle cage, I always had issues with bottles bouncing out of those.
    Not sure if you're saying it looks like the general style of cage you've used, or whether you're actually identfying the specific brand and model based on the photo.

FWIW, looks like it could be a King Ti cage to me. Never lost a bottle from mine yet. Vast difference over the long term in consistent bottle holding ability compared to a standard Aluminum "tube" construction cage.

mtbr member
    Not sure if you're saying it looks like the general style of cage you've used, or whether you're actually identfying the specific brand and model based on the photo.

FWIW, looks like it could be a King Ti cage to me. Never lost a bottle from mine yet. Vast difference over the long term in consistent bottle holding ability compared to a standard Aluminum "tube" construction cage.
    Yeah, I just meant that general design/shape. I've had better luck with the type (Profile Design, for instance) that totally wrap around the bottle. Few things suck more than losing your bottle in a hot race.
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Great race indeed! Very cool to see Schurter with back to back U23 and Elite wins!

Congrats to the North Americans for great rides!

I thought I saw the U23 races on freecaster but now I can't seem to locate them? Anyone?

That was just so much fun to watch! What a treat being able to see nearly the whole course and such fast racing!

mtbr member
    What happened at the beginning of the women's race?

One minute there's a huge pack riding on the opening road section, then they go behind some trees and only 7 come out the other side!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian

One minute there's a huge pack riding on the opening road section, then they go behind some trees and only 7 come out the other side!
    free makeup

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian

I'm guessing the myriad crashes had something to do with that.

Seriously...there's on shot where a girl takes the chicken line, and as she's coming through to where the two meet up again, she gets T-boned by a lady coming down the technical line.

ups and downs
    Willow Koerber's interview... "At the start I was like, 'whats going on? None of us can ride our bikes!'. Everyone seemed to be crashing into each other and falling over."

The lead pack of Elite Women didn't thin out at all in the run to the singletrack, so there was likely a lot of elbows involved in getting this 8 wide group down to a single line, the three gals in the middle would likely have had the advantage at that point.

mtbr member
    I figured it was a crash.

It was just really funny how they timed it with the camera to be behind a clump of trees! Big group goes in, small group comes out. It was like they all got sucked down a black hole. LOL!

I think there was a wreck in the men's race along there too. Actually, I was bit surprised there wasn't one sooner with all those bodies in such a tight space!

ups and downs
    Seriously...there's on shot where a girl takes the chicken line, and as she's coming through to where the two meet up again, she gets T-boned by a lady coming down the technical line.
    I expect the Belgian and Chinese ambassadors are still talking about that one...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Roel Paulissen 100 metres from the Bridge.

Filip Meirhaeghe on Slant 6.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-10-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Giddy Up!
    Junior Mens XC Start

Nino Schurter Elite Mens XC World Champion.

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That bermed section is cool.

mtbr member
    Surprised to see some guys wearing arm warmers...
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Surprised to see some guys wearing arm warmers...
    I think that's a training ride. Adam Craig in the background is wearing his trade team kit rather than the USA kit.

ups and downs
    And some mornings were apparently pretty chilly (single digit Celsius temps), since they haven't quite made it to the first day of spring yet in Oz.

fella
    Yeah, I just meant that general design/shape. I've had better luck with the type (Profile Design, for instance) that totally wrap around the bottle. Few things suck more than losing your bottle in a hot race.
    That particular one is a King Ti cage indeed and those never throw bottles.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa
    Roel Paulissen 100 metres from the Bridge.

Sweet pics!!

Is Paulissen on a Scalpel or Flash? Looks like a Scalpel... I like those bikes - pretty trick with the "pivotless" carbon flexy stays.

mtbr member
    Sweet pics!!

Is Paulissen on a Scalpel or Flash? Looks like a Scalpel... I like those bikes - pretty trick with the "pivotless" carbon flexy stays.
    Scalpel, Paulissen is a full-suspension guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Shots from the Northern slopes of Stromlo. I knew few would walk that far, compared to Cardiac Climb, Hammer Head, The Fang and Old Duffy Descent, so that was more reason to go, and as the race unfolded I made my way back to th Hub.

There was really only three people in this race that I saw; Shurter, Absolon and Vogel. Ramos-Hermida and Kabush tried to hang in there but they were so far back at the finish it became a procession. Do you know the old saying, "Just a two horse race?" .... that was exactly what the Elite Men's XCO was.

Approaching the gully between Slant 6 and Straight 6 ... the first lap. Shurter leads from Vogel, Kabush and Absolom.

Entering Slant 6 ... the second lap. Vogel, Shurter, Absolon and Hermida-Ramos.

At the second berm in the Luge ...on the third lap.

Back in the field a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger type Superhero 'Woosh Kabush' chases the Flash ... on the Fourth Lap.

During the fifth lap, in the first of the parallel finishing straights, Absalon was leading Shurter as they rode past an extraordinary Observed Trials rider and six times World Champion Benito Ros Charral.

On the bell lap, Julian Absalon leads Nino Shurter.

It was a very determined win by Shurter.

Absolon was miserable during the awards. I could tell he didn't want to be there, his body language was very mean spirited towards Shurter and and to a lesser extent to Vogel during the presentations. Absolon had to be told to come back onto the podium for the cliched piccies. I had the feeling (but only second guessing of course) that something happened between Shurter and Absolon on the last lap. I would like to know what happened.

I've lost a lost of respect for Absalon after his miserable performance during the presentations. 'Princess bidch-face' is the clinical term used by psychologists to describe a precious princess? I'm very happy to call a spade a shovel.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-12-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Giddy Up!
    Warren,

I watched the race again today. (SBS coverage).
    The Swiss team out rode Julian in the early laps.
    Nino out foxed and out sprinted Julian through the last feed zone stratight and put a 3-5 metres on Julian. The kicker/killer was Nino's burst off the top of homeview bridge, that put another 3-5 metre gap on Julian. Right then, Nino had won the race.

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Caak, I might have a few shots of you. Looking at your images on the other threads and also on here, I photographed several of the other photographers. The timings of your shots and when I think I photographed the other photographers marry.

I'll post some shots back on the Aussie/Kiwi World Champs thread.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-12-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Giddy Up!
    Warren, If you think I had a 'red' vest... I didn't. Damn wish I had one. I could've got my wife to make me one... But alas, I had to put up with the red vested blokes standing in my way far too often on the downhill course.

So one question. WTF is going on with Nino's jersey in that last podium shot? France???

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caak
    ...So one question. WTF is going on with Nino's jersey in that last podium shot? France???
    NO doubt. I see some photo shopping in there, Julien's jersey & medal pasted over Nino's new stripes.

mtbr member

Absolon was miserable during the awards... I had the feeling (but only second guessing of course) that something happened between Shurter and Absolon on the last lap. I would like to know what happened.
    i know exactly what happened, HE LOST. - great pics BTW

Formerly of Kent
    Shots from the Northern slopes of Stromlo. I knew few would walk that far, compared to Cardiac Climb, Hammer Head, The Fang and Old Duffy Descent, so that was more reason to go, and as the race unfolded I made my way back to th Hub.

There was really only three people in this race that I saw; Shurter, Absolon and Vogel. Ramos-Hermida and Kabush tried to hang in there but they were so far back at the finish it became a procession. Do you know the old saying, "Just a two horse race?" .... that was exactly what the Elite Men's XCO was.
    You must have been watching another race, because Hermida and Vogel came to the line together, sprinting for 3rd.

Back in the field a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger type Superhero 'Woosh Kabush' chases the Flash ... on the Fourth Lap.
    Again, that's obviously not from the race. Kabush was definitely not wearing leg warmers during the race at any point.

Absolon was miserable during the awards. I could tell he didn't want to be there, his body language was very mean spirited towards Shurter and and to a lesser extent to Vogel during the presentations. Absolon had to be told to come back onto the podium for the cliched piccies. I had the feeling (but only second guessing of course) that something happened between Shurter and Absolon on the last lap. I would like to know what happened.
    What happened? He lost.

And, video of the presentation shows him looking a less than cheerful, but not in any way hateful towards the two Swiss riders. He was bummed that he lost, and understandably so.

I've lost a lost of respect for Absalon after his miserable performance during the presentations. 'Princess bidch-face' is the clinical term used by psychologists to describe a precious princess? I'm very happy to call a spade a shovel.

Warren.
    Warren, you took some nice pictures, but it's pretty clear that you have a very...different perspective on racing than most people I know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    About that French jersey on Shurter ... well I've been sprung.

Caak, to reply to your reply, I said "photographers," not red jackets. Now I'm looking for two shots with the same photographer in them. Telling me that you didn't have a red jacket is even more helpful.

The first shot. The dusty after start of the Men's U23 XCO.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-12-2009 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Le Duke, do not deliberately misinterpret what I said. At no stage did I say "hateful," that is your word not mine. I wrote "mean spirited." If you don't know the difference, I suggest that you go and look at an English dictionary.

So you don't think that being beaten into 3rd place by 58 seconds ... made for a two horse race?

Do you know how far 58 seconds from the finishing line is at Stromlo, the time separation to 3rd place? Could the distance be only rounding the corner at Gambon? Or only at the fire trail crossing at J-Walk? ... or way back up the hill coming down Old Duffy Descent, several hundred metres away?

It was a two horse race.

Hopefully my perspective is different to many and by the way, Power Rangers can turn up at any time and be anywhere on any lap, wearing anything they want. Being called a Power Ranger ... is not necessarily implying that someone is gay.

You have already seen the perspectives of others and obviously formed your opinion of the race ... and maybe that is why I was there, to add a different perspective to the preciousness of just another XCO race. I saw seven XCO races at the 2009 World Titles, and each race had a totally different character and something unique that amused me.

I guess you don't want to hear my opinions on the Women's Elite XCO race or the Men's U23 XCO? ... now the Men's U23 wasn't even a one horse race, it was a lay-down misere.

It is just as well Burry Stander didn't race in the Elite Men's XCO. He had no one to race or set a pace for him in the Men's U23. If Stander had been in the Elite Men's XCO ... I doubt we would be looking at the same podium.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-12-2009 at 01:11 PM.

ups and downs
    I guess you don't want to hear my opinions on the Women's Elite XCO race or the Men's U23 XCO? ...
    Warren.
    Opinions on the Elite women's and more photos would be welcome. Freecaster pretty much just covered the top 6 and the more spectacular random crashes on the Hammerhead. I'd like to see more shots of the gals riding the technical ups and downs.

Formerly of Kent

Le Duke, do not deliberatly misinterpret what I said. At no stage did I say "hateful," that is your word not mine. I wrote "mean spirited." If you don't know the difference, I suggest that you go and look at an English dictionary.

So you don't think that being beaten into 3rd place by 58 seconds ... made for a two horse race?

Do you know how far 58 seconds from the finishing line is at Stromlo, the time separation to 3rd place? Could the distance be only rounding the corner at Gambon? Or only at the fire trail crossing at J-Walk? ... or way back up the hill coming down Old Duffy Descent?

It was a two horse race.
    Read what you wrote above, and ask yourself "How the hell does this make sense?".

How could there only be "three people in the race", if Hermida was with them after the second lap, and sprinted for 3rd against Vogel? Doesn't matter if they were 58 seconds or 10 minutes behind, it wasn't three guys, it was five, then 4, then two and two. And, Vogel and Hermida finished with the same time.

So, again, you and I must have been watching a different bike race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Le Duke, the third horse in that 2 horse race wasn't even in the race, nor was it a horse, it was a monkey. The Elite men knew the lap times that Burry Stander did in the Men's U23 XCO. Did you look at the race analysis ... for both races, U23 and Elite? They are on the UCI site ... http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1...U3NTI&LangId=1. After the race finishing order, keep scrolling down the page and you find the race analyses.

Stander was the monkey on their shoulder during the Elite Men's race, did you see him sitting there? I saw him each time they went by me ... Stander is not just the Men's U23 World Champion, he is the Elite Men's World Champion in waiting.

The leading two Elite men weren't just racing each other in their race. They were also racing against Stander's unbelievable lap times that he set the day before, times faster than their own. Stander didn't even have competition to set a pace shortly after the first lap. If Stander had serious competition from lap 2 on in his race, who knows what times he would have set.

You are right, I didn't see the race that you saw. I saw a race where the standard for racing in the Elite Men's XCO at the highest level ever seen on Mount Stromlo, was actually set the day before the Elite Men's race by an U23 rider ... I saw the race from that level.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Stander was the monkey on their shoulder during the Elite Men's race, did you see him sitting there? ... he is the Elite Men's World Champion in waiting. The leading two Elite men weren't just racing each other in their race. They were also racing against Stander's unbelievable lap times that he set the day before. Stander didn't even have competition to set a pace after the first lap. If Stander had serious competition from lap 2 on in his race who knows what times he would have set.
    The U23s had considerably different conditions then the elite guys. Wind has a way of slowing a race down. You can't really tell that much by lap times.

Canberra was not the typical MTB course, gaps were small and tactics played a significant role in the race out come. It was a race that was won by the best racer on the day but not necessarily by the strongest rider out there. I think that is a good thing BTW a bit of tactics make racing interesting.

Having watched many races both live and on TV. You get the best coverage on TV. The race was not a 2-horse race. Yeah the gap was 58s but that gap came in the last 15 minutes of the race. For the majority of the race it could have been any of the leading four.

Formerly of Kent
    Le Duke, the third horse in that 2 horse race wasn't even in the race. The Elite men knew the lap times that Burry Stander did in the Men's U23 XCO. Did you look at the race analysis ... for both races. They are on the UCI site ... http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1...U3NTI&LangId=1.

Stander was the monkey on their shoulder during the Elite Men's race, did you see him sitting there? ... he is the Elite Men's World Champion in waiting. The leading two Elite men weren't just racing each other in their race. They were also racing against Stander's unbelievable lap times that he set the day before. Stander didn't even have competition to set a pace after the first lap. If Stander had serious competition from lap 2 on in his race who knows what times he would have set.

You are right, I didn't see the race that you saw.

Warren.
    Sorry, but comparing lap times from one day to the next, in different races, is completely ignoring the many variables that can change the lap times and results of a race. Coming from the road, and having done stage races where the conditions changed drastically from the start to the end of a TT stage, I know first hand that across a matter of hours, let alone a day, you can have a completely different race and set of results, as a course gets more or less windy, dries up or the rain starts falling, etc.

There are so many factors that can/did change that it's impossible to make any serious comparison between the two. Most notably, the rainfall the night (or was it two?) before the U23 race, and wind conditions. Those most definitely altered the tactics and speed of the races, as they played out.

Did you notice that Irina Kalentieva sat on Lene Byberg the entire way up the climb? Or that no one REALLY pushed it up the climb in the mens race? No one wanted to force the pace, because the other rider(s) would just sit on their wheel while they killed themselves for no real gain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fully understood ... but I was there, out in the elements, in the sun in short sleeves and what wind influenced anything. I know this track well. I've been trying to ride it several times a week for months, and more recently riding the changes to the course which were made (and which are fantastic) ... to cater for TV. If you haven't ridden into the new section called the Pouch ... it is scary cool, the new feature below Breakout.

The track is well sheltered in the more technical parts. The Hammerhead is a bit exposed, but it is all about gravity here. The entire course is on the lee side of the mountain. The track surface stayed the same for several days although the dust built, but not to Stromlo's summer levels. The weather was stunning during both the U23 and Elite races. I can't see how the wind changed anything, on both days the normal prevailing NW wind was fine and not at all blustery.

I didn't get my info or impressions off the TV.

What you might think as a rider slowly riding up Cardiac Arrest on Cardiac Climb is the only speed anyone can go up that feature, go slowly you will fall over, go fast you cant ... at the top of Cardiac Arrest at Cadaver Corner riders are suffering from oxygen deprivation no matter how fit they are. It is harder to drop your pace back going up Cardiac Arrest and the Death Adder than to maintain an efficient pace. Possibly Cardiac Arrest is the nastiest 80 metres in Australian cycling. Every one kills themselves going up that slope whether you are on another's wheel or not. All up, Cardiac Climb is about 120 metres ascended in about 600 metres of track (from the Blue Gums to the summit), about a 20% gradient. The next feature after Cadaver Corner is now a passing lane of rollers and called the Defibrillator ... for a very good reason and then its the Death Adder climb ... with lots of table tops.

In the jaws of the Death Adder, at the top of the climb.

The Australian Institute of Sport are analysing the performance of 'every rider' who rode the course during the XCOs. They recorded the riders lap times, their performance in the climbs, the downhill performance and the on the flat performances and their performances in the technical sections. These were recorded by synced cameras positioned around the course. Hopefully to find the rider's particular weakness for a type of feature or slope.

Looking at this type of info, might give a better impression of what actually happened.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-12-2009 at 03:54 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I didn't get my info or impressions off the TV.

Warren.
    You should take a look www.cyclingdirt.com See if the race covered is the same as the one you remember.

I find watching a race live you only get a snap-shot of what is happening. You miss so much of the race. But you also see things that you don't pick out on TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0