Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 124
  1. #1
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106

    Men's Elite Worlds

    Kabush is in 3rd into the single track on the start lap.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  2. #2
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    Kabush is knocking the knobs off of Absalon's back tire he's so close. Running a 1x9 in this race.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  3. #3
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    Surprised the Swiss aren't playing games with Absalon yet.

    Still early, but I'd make Absalon work.

  4. #4
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    Typical terrible start by Adam Craig.

    I'm a huge fan, and he's a super cool dude, but he needs to learn how to warm up properly, because he digs himself a HUGE hole at every World Cup.

  5. #5
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,311
    That is a tough start there. The road isn't quite steep enough to force a selection based on fitness. It comes down to has the pack skills to move up.

  6. #6
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,311
    Was that Geoff I saw in the pit? If so it wasn't a long stop.

  7. #7
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    I thought that showboating, doping jackass Meirhaeghe retired?

  8. #8
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    I thought that showboating, doping jackass Meirhaeghe retired?
    No, back racing for at least a couple of years now. Some road, some XC. You are correct though, that when he first got popped he said he was "retiring". Probably just a way to cop a bit more favourable public opinion.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    105
    I was led to believe that the Belgian World Cup was his last race, obviously not.

  10. #10
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    No, back racing for at least a couple of years now. Some road, some XC. You are correct though, that when he first got popped he said he was "retiring". Probably just a way to cop a bit more favourable public opinion.
    No, I'm talking about his showboating at his "last race" at Houffalize this year. Dude was pulling wheelies for the crowd on a climb when other people behind him were putting in an honest effort to finish the race. He said he was retiring after that race. Or at least that's what I read.

  11. #11
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,143
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal.s
    I was led to believe that the Belgian World Cup was his last race, obviously not.
    LOL. I must have missed his latest "retirement".

  12. #12
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    Why do they keep questioning Sven Nys' ability to ride a 2hr race?

    They know he races for a Pro Continental road team, and grew up racing in BELGIUM, right?

    Edit: And that he was top 10 at Beijing...
    Last edited by Le Duke; 09-04-2009 at 11:36 PM.

  13. #13
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,311
    Now that was a bike race!!!

  14. #14
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,878
    Great race indeed!!

  15. #15
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,878
    At least Geoff made it in the top 5

  16. #16
    Seeeriously easy Livin
    Reputation: Flystagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,864
    Way tho go Nino!! amazing race, it was just exciting to see someone take it to Absalon for once

  17. #17
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,878
    Only one FS in top 10 - Sauser (which I though he was better... he should retire...)

    and no 29ers in the top 7....

    so much for the claim that "HT 26ers are dead"... lol (even though I ride a FS 26er )

  18. #18
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Why do they keep questioning Sven Nys' ability to ride a 2hr race?

    They know he races for a Pro Continental road team, and grew up racing in BELGIUM, right?

    Edit: And that he was top 10 at Beijing...

    Because as you saw in the race. For the first 1hr he was with the best after that he started to fall back.

    It will take him another couple of years of MTB racing to be able to hold his pace. The endurance demands of XC racing are unique.

    Really what people have done on the road means nothing on the dirt, particularly at the elite level.

  19. #19
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    Only one FS in top 10 - Sauser (which I though he was better... he should retire...)

    and no 29ers in the top 7....

    so much for the claim that "HT 26ers are dead"... lol (even though I ride a FS 26er )
    I must admit watching those guys fly down those descents it is pretty hard to argue that the 26inch hardtails are holding them back.

  20. #20
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    Only one FS in top 10 - Sauser (which I though he was better... he should retire...)

    and no 29ers in the top 7....

    so much for the claim that "HT 26ers are dead"... lol (even though I ride a FS 26er )

    i've been on 29" wheels for several years now, but i've gotta admit, todd looked alot more hesitant over those boulders than nearly all the other riders in the top 20 they showed footage of. could be he's not a strong tech rider, could be fatigue, or could have just been bad camera timing.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    682
    I thought that showboating, doping jackass Meirhaeghe retired?


    Meirhaeghe is anything but that. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the friendliest racers I've ever met. Having read his book has only strengthened my idea of him. He's not a doping jackass, he's a pretty emotional guy who wanted to be the best, nothing more. Sometimes people make mistakes, and at least he was brave enough to admit it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevemtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    738

    sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by Orkje


    Meirhaeghe is anything but that. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the friendliest racers I've ever met. Having read his book has only strengthened my idea of him. He's not a doping jackass, he's a pretty emotional guy who wanted to be the best, nothing more. Sometimes people make mistakes, and at least he was brave enough to admit it.
    Anyone who saw 'Off Road to Athens' and was even slightly sympathetic to the US racers is going to have a very poor opinion of Meirhaeghe.

    His most famous quote' I can't believe they cut the course. They were actually ...CHEATING!'

    2nd most famous quote 'The american racers just don't know what it takes'

    paraphrased slightly

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    682
    Well, I suppose I'm biased, being Belgian, but I won't take back a single word. Calling any racer at that level a "showboating, doping jackass" shows an enormous lack of respect.
    Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

    BTW, the wheelies Meirhaeghe was pulling during his (apparently not) last race were a homage to the supporters (and not just his supporters) lining the course.

    I haven't seen 'Off Road to Athens', so I can't comment on that.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    331
    Amazing race!

    Great to have a race come down to such a tight finish, with Nino's last lap surges spectacular.. I would've liked to see Kabush on the podium but he rode a great race nonetheless.

    Besides being a good place to ride, Stromlo is really great for video coverage. So open, so you can see the battles develop.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    252

    Elite XCO Photos

    From the final XCO day, Saturday 5 Sep 2009

    Elite Women

    Elite Men

    A bit over 500 in each album...

  26. #26
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    More tire problems for Kabush, from Canadian Cyclist...


    "I had a slow leak in my tire," revealed Kabush, "so I had to stop in the pits for a quick wheel change [on lap three], which lost me a few seconds. On this course, with the long climb into the head wind, it meant that I just couldn't catch back onto the front group; I could see them there for a long time, but it was just so much harder to ride on your own out there. I guess you could say they were in a road race and I was in a time trial. Without that, maybe I could have been in medal contention. But I'm still very pleased, this is by far my best results at the world championships."


    Considering how many times he's had flats running super light tires that have cost him positions in races, I'd be thinking that having truly flat resistant tires would be a bigger advantage than super light tires.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  27. #27
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    To resolve the speculation about Absalon and the number of chainrings, Canadian Cyclist has a close up of Absalon's single chainring and chainguide.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    412
    looks like team usa needs to leave those 29ers at home next time.

  29. #29
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,520
    team usa's men haven't done well in the world championships on any wheel size in way too long.

  30. #30
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkje
    Well, I suppose I'm biased, being Belgian, but I won't take back a single word. Calling any racer at that level a "showboating, doping jackass" shows an enormous lack of respect.
    Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.


    BTW, the wheelies Meirhaeghe was pulling during his (apparently not) last race were a homage to the supporters (and not just his supporters) lining the course.

    I haven't seen 'Off Road to Athens', so I can't comment on that.
    So, wait, you're saying he's not a doping jackass?

    Last time I checked, he served a two year ban for cheating. Why in the world should I respect him?

  31. #31
    fella
    Reputation: slyboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    272
    The last lap was very tense. I was so glad that Nino was able to pull off the win. And he did it with style!

    BTW, I was really surprised when Burry Stander said he never tried a 29er.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

  32. #32
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Because as you saw in the race. For the first 1hr he was with the best after that he started to fall back.

    It will take him another couple of years of MTB racing to be able to hold his pace. The endurance demands of XC racing are unique.

    Really what people have done on the road means nothing on the dirt, particularly at the elite level.

    I'm not buying it. He's racing on cross form right now and doing pretty damn good. If he wanted to do better at MTB and sacrifice cross season it'd only take him a few months to get that kind of fitness. If he tries I guarantee he could win a MTB World cup. It makes me laugh when commentators question his skill also, have these guys ever watched a World Cup cyclocross race, the guy is a freak on a bike......and an ex-BMX champion.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkje
    Well, I suppose I'm biased, being Belgian, but I won't take back a single word. Calling any racer at that level a "showboating, doping jackass" shows an enormous lack of respect.
    Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

    BTW, the wheelies Meirhaeghe was pulling during his (apparently not) last race were a homage to the supporters (and not just his supporters) lining the course.

    I haven't seen 'Off Road to Athens', so I can't comment on that.
    What if we just called him a former doper? Would that be OK??
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

  34. #34
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    What if we just called him a former doper? Would that be OK??
    How about "doper returned from suspension"? After all, we don't really know if his use of PEDs is only in the past. One could say that he deserves the benefit of a doubt having served out his suspension, but personally I'll reserve that right for those who haven't beeen caught in the first place.

  35. #35
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I'm not buying it. He's racing on cross form right now and doing pretty damn good. If he wanted to do better at MTB and sacrifice cross season it'd only take him a few months to get that kind of fitness. If he tries I guarantee he could win a MTB World cup. It makes me laugh when commentators question his skill also, have these guys ever watched a World Cup cyclocross race, the guy is a freak on a bike......and an ex-BMX champion.

    There is no doubt that he has skills. But you saw the race, he couldn't hold Kabush's wheel on the descent. Although the descent was cool, it wasn't overly technical either.

    He has the same sucess as in MTBing as Absalon would have in cross.

    To ride in the top 10 is way different from winning. That last bit is incredibly hard to get.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob_co2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    564
    Great race and all, but how about that camera work?? The views were amazing! All of the overhead shots, the follow-throughs, and they were able to mix in replays of crashes and other highlights when away from the leaders. If you could get that quality of video, and replays instead of only live at ridiculous hours, there would surely be an increased following, which would probably lead to more/new/better sponsorship.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    165
    I just got done watching the men's race on freecaster - great race! I thought they only showed it live. I went there to check and there it was. Is this new?

    The camera work was great. It was a pleasure to watch. Absolon looked really sooth, his attacks on lap five looked good but Nino was always there - well done.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorthirst
    I just got done watching the men's race on freecaster - great race! I thought they only showed it live. I went there to check and there it was. Is this new?

    The camera work was great. It was a pleasure to watch. Absolon looked really sooth, his attacks on lap five looked good but Nino was always there - well done.
    I agree, that was one of the best filmed mtb races i have ever watched.

  39. #39
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,311
    We were just talking about that.

    That is the first time have watched an XC race where it looked fast. It was a pefect course for filming.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2
    Great race and all, but how about that camera work?? The views were amazing! All of the overhead shots, the follow-throughs, and they were able to mix in replays of crashes and other highlights when away from the leaders. If you could get that quality of video, and replays instead of only live at ridiculous hours, there would surely be an increased following, which would probably lead to more/new/better sponsorship.
    Gotta get something good from something bad...

    Part of the reason that the coverage at Stromlo is so good is because there are no trees. The park was created after a massive bushfire in January 2003, when it became one of the local Government's "Phoenix" projects.

    Here are some photos of the action on the 18 January 2003.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    682
    How about "doper returned from suspension"? After all, we don't really know if his use of PEDs is only in the past. One could say that he deserves the benefit of a doubt having served out his suspension, but personally I'll reserve that right for those who haven't beeen caught in the first place.
    What if we just called him a former doper? Would that be OK??
    So, wait, you're saying he's not a doping jackass?

    Last time I checked, he served a two year ban for cheating. Why in the world should I respect him?
    To use a very English expression: "I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree."

    And to finally say something about the race: it WAS exciting. It really struck me how fast, almost roadish sections were combined with tight, rocky singletrack and with berm sections that would not be out of place in a 4X race. To see riders take it all on with flow, precision and at high speeds was a joy to see.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    252
    A bit of a mix of XCC, OT and DHI. Kabush won the short track.

  43. #43
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill

    Considering how many times he's had flats running super light tires that have cost him positions in races, I'd be thinking that having truly flat resistant tires would be a bigger advantage than super light tires.
    No kidding...Having ridden and raced on both the maxxis 310s and furious freds, and realizing how delicate both tires are, i cant even imagine why he would gamble so much on world cup level races. There are very few WC courses that are friendly to those tire types.

  44. #44
    Transplant
    Reputation: ekoostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by le Matelot
    A bit of a mix of XCC, OT and DHI. Kabush won the short track.
    What is XCC? Short track?

    I'm assuming this is an unofficial event, for the riders to enjoy more than anything...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XCFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    318
    Is there anywhere online I can view the footage?
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    37
    cyclingdirt.org

  47. #47
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    What is XCC? Short track? I'm assuming this is an unofficial event, for the riders to enjoy more than anything...
    Yes, and Yes (and to take home some $$)

  49. #49
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    Kabush Tweeted that he won more money in that one STXC race than he did in the entire US mountain bike series this year.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Kabush Tweeted that he won more money in that one STXC race than he did in the entire US mountain bike series this year.
    We aim to please

    Tell the young fella that next year he should do the Tour de Timor if he wants to make his bank manager happy. The overall men's and women's races were won by Neil van der Ploeg (who Kabush raced in the XCC on Sunday at the World Champs) and Tory Thomas. Both those riders missed out on Australian Team selection for the World Champs by a whisker, but came home from the Tour de Timor with about $US 24,000 between them from individual and team performances. 1st prize overall was $US 15,000 and they paid down to 40th place.

    Rumor is that next year it will be on a couple of weeks after the World Champs.

    Various happy snaps are in 6 albums (about 10 to 15 albums back from the top now).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •