mtbr member
    Sep 2010

LTHR - Testing vs. Racing descrepancy

On Wednesday last week I did a LTHR test - warmup, 30 minute TT, take average HR for last 20 minutes as your LTHR. I got a 179, which is consistant with what I have gotten in previous tests both on the road and trainer. However, yesterday I had a 3 hour MTB endurance race. I averaged 185 over the first hour and 15 minutes!!!!

I don't feel like I am not trying hard enough in my tests, I give it my all and then struggle back to my house to cool down. So why the descrepancy? Adrenaline? The extra full body effort to manuever through rocks and roots? And which number should I be setting my zones by?

mtbr member
    If you ever take a REAL LTHR test (conconi type), you'll see that it is nothing like a race.

It is a sloooowww, gradual, ramp up of power (5W/minute?). Very slow. No spikes, no standing, and no excitement.

On a related note, maximum power for a 20minute test has the mechanisms for giving lowest HR (no sprinting, standing, spikes in power, etc.).

MTB racing on varied terrain has all the mechanisms for giving artificially high HR while giving lower average power.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Very common. When you factor in adrenaline and nerves, your body does odd things. Also, like Ponch is saying, MTB courses lend themselves to higher HR's. Having competitors around seems to push me a lot more and take me 'out' of my normal cadence/pace responding to hard efforts/sprints/surges/etc.

mtbr member
    I did the home test for LTHR and got 174.

Raced yesterday for 1 hr 15 min. After the big spike to get to the woods, my hr bounced around on either side of 180, never higher than 187, never lower than 174, according the Garmin Connect graph. Average hr for the race was 180.