Thread: Love handles

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

Love handles

or regular handles, I guess, since I'm single. Anyways, I have them. I also have a little pudge on the front of my stomach too. I'm 5'9", weigh about 150-155. This is the only part of my body that I seem to have excess body fat. What work-outs should I do to get this off? I don't like it. At all.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    you can't reduce fat in any given area, any fat loss you get comes from whatever area your body stores it in last. The only way to lose the fat around your middle is to lose total body fat, which means upping your exercise level and decreasing your food intake. Since you say you are lean everywhere else, your stomach area is just the place your body is genetically programed to pull fat from last. It also means that the last 5-10 pounds you have there are going to be the hardest to lose, since it gets harder and harder to lose weight the closer you get to 0% BF.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

mtbr member
    Yup. You still have 5-10 pounds to go. Good luck.

Jun 2008
    dangit. time to put hours on the trainer and rollers i guess, and to start eating more salad. thanks a lot, guys. i really appreciate the info.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Ride moderate before breakfast. Your body will utilize stored body fat as the only energy source. I got ripped this way...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    yeah just do a lot of fat burning cardio. also if you don't have a 6 pack under that fat you should do some crunches too. don't over do it though, you don't want too much muscle under the fat.

do a search on youtube for "fat burning cardio" lots of good videos.
    also burpees are really good.

don't just stick to riding your bike
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Ride moderate before breakfast. Your body will utilize stored body fat as the only energy source. I got ripped this way...
    how long of a ride are you talking?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    how long of a ride are you talking?
    Best, noticeable results are found when riding over 30 minutes, but below 2 hours. Make sure you eat plenty of carbs and protein afterward...otherwise, muscle mass gets "robbed" to pay for the empty stomach workout.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    you shouldn't eat post workout either if you're aiming for fat loss. Don't try it after hard rides though, since you need to work on your recovery asap.
    Last edited by Gotta Know; 12-17-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Best, noticeable results are found when riding over 30 minutes, but below 2 hours. Make sure you eat plenty of carbs and protein afterward...
    Would you happen to have any suggestions on foods that provide good carbs and protein?
    There's a whole lot more to losing this pudge than I would have expected. My high metabolism is obviously slowing down, and I'm not used to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    Would you happen to have any suggestions on foods that provide good carbs and protein?
    Finding your ultimate body composition is a challenging endeavor. Its a combination of a great diet, great training, and real good understanding of what works best for your body and lifestyle.

There are no magic methods, especially none that will support the demands of a challenging training plan. If you want to get lean AND fast, you need to know what works for YOU.

In the end, one thing is for certain.. those love handles will disappear when calorie defecit is adequate, but not so extreme as to weaken your training rides. Maintain this for long enough and you will reach your goals.

You really need to have some basic understanding of what makes a good sports diet. And you need to build a plan based on foods you can enjoy, enough of the tasty stuff to reasonably satisfy your cravings, and something you can adhere to for the length of time necessary to reach your goal. Losing that last 5-10lbs is really tough, and it takes patience, commitment and a plan that won't be too difficult to stick with.

I have read tons of books on nutrition, and there are some very good ones. Proper sports nutrition is not rocket science, but the science is well proven.. its just a matter of finding a resource that is not to complicated, grounded in peer reviewed studies, and easy to comprehend. Nothing fancy, or trendy, just good ol' proven sports nutrition. With that in mind, I'd recomend this book:

Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook
    http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Clarks-S...0761139&sr=1-3

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i've been told that after a good cardio workout you shouldn't eat anything.
    drink a protein shake and only drink water for a few hours.

this was told to me by one of the new york giants trainers.
    bikes:

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Or just eat something that is mostly proteins if you want to eat real food and not processed sports specific stuff. Eggs, chicken, stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by perryr
    In the end, one thing is for certain.. those love handles will disappear when calorie defecit is adequate, but not so extreme as to weaken your training rides.
    I think this hits the nail on the head, with the caveat that you have to be training correctly and with sufficient volume.

I've read most of this book and think it is very good:
    http://www.velogear.com/prodinfo.asp?number=201RW

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    I've read most of this book and think it is very good:
    http://www.velogear.com/prodinfo.asp?number=201RW
    I like that book too. Its more conceptual, but he is very good at making clear that a high level of fitness will promote a lean body comp. I find that to be true. During base I diet pretty strictly to find my weight, but as soon as fitness grows and I enter the harder training phases, my weight drops and I quickly lean up as I approach peak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    age and genetics also play a big role and there isn't much you can do about it. I would have to starve myself to death to get rid of that layer of fat that keeps me from getting my abs visible. Not everyone can be a male sports model.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    yeah you don't need a protein shake, some grilled chicken breast would be better. i just find it's easier to drink a shake than it is to cook some food before or after my cardio.
    also since i'm a fat guy that loves food, it's really hard for me to eat a few oz of chicken and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by quax
    age and genetics also play a big role and there isn't much you can do about it. I would have to starve myself to death to get rid of that layer of fat that keeps me from getting my abs visible. Not everyone can be a male sports model.
    starving yourself would not get rid of it
    bikes:

mtbr member
    As itís been stated earlier diet is the way to get what you are looking for. Some things to consider besides the simple calories in/calories out approach are meal timing and meal composition. Eating 6 smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 regular meals will do wonders in speeding up your metabolism. Also consuming the majority of your calories before and after exercise will help with recovery while allowing you to keep your overall calorie levels where you want them to be. In the same manner eating less carbohydrates and lower sodium foods will allow you to retain less water. However carbohydrates being necessary for exercise recovery should be taken in both before and after exercise. From October of 2008 to March of 2009 I was able to drop from 255lbs to 225lbs and got my bodyfat percentage down to 10%. I was eating 50% of my calories and 90% of my carbohydrates both before and after exercise. Everything else was spread out into smaller meals throughout the course of the day. I was never really hungry and was always able to recover from workouts. This was maintained until October of this year when I decided that I wanted to add some additional muscle mass and changed my diet accordingly.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by perryr
    I have read tons of books on nutrition, and there are some very good ones. Proper sports nutrition is not rocket science, but the science is well proven.. its just a matter of finding a resource that is not to complicated, grounded in peer reviewed studies, and easy to comprehend. Nothing fancy, or trendy, just good ol' proven sports nutrition. With that in mind, I'd recomend this book:

Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook
    http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Clarks-S...0761139&sr=1-3

Have you read this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nutriti...d_bxgy_b_img_c

Do you have an opinion?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stillhardtailing
    Have you read this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nutriti...d_bxgy_b_img_c

Do you have an opinion?
    IMO, that is the best dedicated Sports Nutrition book for endurance athletes. Nancy Clark's book is based on the same science, and Nancy's eating strategies parrallel Monique's, but Nancy's book is a bit more directed towards general fitness. Nancy's is a good choice for getting started on changing the way to eat for sport and fitness, and understanding what goes into designing a good diet for the long haul. It's loaded with plenty of science and detail, but its a more relaxed approach. Monique's is more endurance sport specific and fine tuned for maximum performance.

Both books are excellent reads, I'd recomend Nancy's first to get started, and Monique's second to fine tune if you want to take it to the next level. Then flargles recomendation for additional reading on sharpening the edge and finding/reaching the optimum body comp for endurance sports.