CT3
    Hoodwink

looking for a training bike for pavement and bike trainer

im looking to get a bike to hit the pavement with. i am considering either a road or a cross bike, but a hardtail with slicks may also be what i am looking for as i ride a full suspension.

what im looking to get is a lighter bike that i can going faster with at least a double chain ring on the pavement since i ride 1x9 on the trail. i will be riding on a paved path that that has some decent climbs this type of riding would be to improve endurance and strength. even though i would mainly ride on the pavement, with the mtb i will often see a dirt path on the side and take that route especially if there is a little bump to get some baby air off of, but this isnt necesarily a need.

from what i read a CX bike would be able to go on a dirt path maybe not with roots or rocks but then i again i dont really not what cross is.

im also assuming that a road bike is strictly for pavement

a hard tail with slick would do everything im doing now but it would be easier to pedal but may be to heavy to accomplish what i want. although i do have one readily available but does weigh more then my FS bc its entry level and also1x9

Would also like to get a bike trainer for the home wich this bike would also be used for, have any recomendations on whats good.

a cross bike that i am looking at is a GT tachyon, but i am open to other brands just a fan of GT. i like gt bc the price seems unbeatable for what you get but then again i dont know much about road or cross components

im not sure if i am a fan of drop bars but i dont have any extended use of them either.

I'd rather be riding
    If you've got an entry level hardtail I'd use that, strip the fork off and put on a rigid one, get some slicks and throw a triple on there and your ready to go. If your using it for training I wouldn't worry about the weight because it'll just make you even faster when your back on your fully.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    If you've got an entry level hardtail I'd use that, strip the fork off and put on a rigid one, get some slicks and throw a triple on there and your ready to go. If your using it for training I wouldn't worry about the weight because it'll just make you even faster when your back on your fully.
    the only problem with making it rigid is i often loan the bike to my friend who will eventually be buying it from me. it would be a big hassle of switching off the fork twice a week.
    ;
    any recomendations on a bike trainer? ~ $100

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    from what i read a CX bike would be able to go on a dirt path maybe not with roots or rocks but then i again i dont really not what cross is.

im also assuming that a road bike is strictly for pavement
    You'd be surprised. I hop my road bike all the time, with 23mm slicks too. I'll also occasionally take it on the dirt path that parallels the paved path that's part of my normal route. The dirt is in ugly shape, but it makes it all the more fun. It's much less the abuse that the bike can take than it is the abuse that you're willing to put up with.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.