DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Looking to switch to 29erFS for this next season (from 26 FS)

Currently two of my big contenders are the Ibis Ripley and Turner Czar. Geometry and frame weight are nearly the same. I'm currently on a Yeti ASR-C, size L, with a 24.4 TT, and a 100mm stem, wobblenaught fit. In both of those choices I would need to go with an XL to get a similar TT length, either of those would be a 24.6 TT, which would let me go with either a 90 or 100mm stem. Even HTA is about the same between the two bikes. The big difference is the Ripley is 120mm travel and the Czar would be 100mm. The Ripley is supposed to have a really efficient pedaling tune per DW though, so I'm wondering if I'm inherently giving anything up race-wise (cat 1, looking to podium this season) by going with 120mm bike over a 100mm bike if they pedal similarly, have the same geometry and weigh about the same? 120mm fork is about 1/2lb heavier than the 100mm fork, that's about the only difference. Outside of racing, more travel is just more fun in rocky Arizona...

Other option would be a Spec Epic. Since I've added a shock with remote lockout to my Yeti, the automatic lockout of the Brain seems more appealing. Platforms and DW are good and all, but there's nothing like a real lockout.

HT's kill my back, not really an option. Will be doing XC Cat 1, as well as some 50 and 100 milers.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Since I've added a shock with remote lockout to my Yeti, the automatic lockout of the Brain seems more appealing. Platforms and DW are good and all, but there's nothing like a real lockout.
    Agree, but then you won't like the brain. Its a platform, not a real lockout. I like my forks and shocks to be either fully plush for 95% of the terrain or locked out for the other 5%. The brain is always somewhere in the middle trying to figure it out but always a step behind...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    or you could check out the 2014 iCD scott spark.

ibis and ripley are more trail-oriented and HEAVY compared to some of the other offerings out there.

also consider the BMC four stroke--extremely versatile bike and very light.

i'm very dubious of epics and the whole 'brain' system. The brain sounds like a huge compromise on plushness and seems a little sketchy when you go into a rock garden with a super stiff platform that's supposed to unlock when you hit a bump.

it just seems like a hardcore CTD 'trail' mode and definitely not worth the premium.

dw-link is the best.