Religion = Non-thinking

Looking for my first trainer

Its getting cold, but i still love to bike. Whats a good trainer that i can use as "entry-level" so i can get keep my legs in shape till the spring?

budget is: $200

P.S. i only ride recreationally, no racing. if that matters
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    I'd go with either a magnetic or fluid trainer. Fluids tend to be quieter, but the magnetic resistance is a really good work out. I'd stay away from rollers if you're a beginner as it takes a lot of paying attention to get used to them.

Religion = Non-thinking
    What do u mean by rollers and paying attention? i am truly a beginner and have only skimmed some websites that sell trainers.

whats the diff between magnetic and fluid?

can i use the trainer with 26" bikes with knobby tires?

i think this one is decent, right? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...a+Trainer.aspx
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am using the basic Mag trainer from CycleOps. It retails for $199.00 and I think I got it for just a little less. It is their entry level mag trainer and the only one "below" it in their hierarchy is their wind trainer. I used to have a fancier mag trainer, a Minura, with different levels of resistance. It was o.k., but I like the CycleOps basic one for its simplicity.

When I was looking at the new trainer, the guys I trust at my local shop--both a couple of pro mountain bikers--told me the basic mag is the best value and is what they use and the shop owner uses. They suggested the fluid trainers ride a little nicer, but if you really use them a lot they are more likely to need significant maintenance. I also love the ease with which I can get my bike in and out of the CycleOps--it takes about 10 seconds after you set it up the first time and it fits your bike. The Minura I had took me at least 5 minutes turning a crank with the bike falling again and again.

Unless you are training indoors a bunch, there is a lot to be said for just going simple. And it fits your budget.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback
    I am using the basic Mag trainer from CycleOps. It retails for $199.00 and I think I got it for just a little less. .

Here's some in the$145 range

http://www.google.com/products?q=Cyc...=next&start=30

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss

You can...but you can also get a 26" slick tire for cheap.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    You can, but you likely won't want to. The the noise, vibrations, and tire wear are all rather undesirable.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    force yourself to let it be your offseason. cross train until you can start riding again. Trainers work if you are racing because you have a goal to work toward. Riding on a trainer is not exactly fun.

I have a blackburn magnetic. it gets the job done. I am training to race but still am crosstraining with running.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

cougarbait
    fluids are quieter and offer better resistance. I use a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid. before that I had a cycleops magneto that I ended up returning. for your purposes and budget, I'd stick with a magnetic. 26" no problem, knobby?? I'd throw a slick on there. I read some bad reviews on the blackburn. Go with a cycleops mag, or kinetic if you can afford one. Only kinetic has a fluid design that is impossible to leak.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six