Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Looking for advice for next season

Wraped up my first season of sport class this weekend. I have struggled all year on the 3rd lap of aprox 20-25km race. I know the how to build endurance question has been asked a bunch, but I have been able to see a pattern in my vitals/legs.

Im 6.0" 170lbs. Hard trail riding puts me around 170-175 for heart rate with a quick jump down to 130 if a stop for a min or two.

Races go as follows.
    First lap is mostly burning legs with HR around 175-185. (Rarley does it hit 190) bear end ifbthe first lap I tend to slow a bit to conserve (i will get to the cramping issues in a bit) and stay between 170 and 176. 3rd lap i almost always cramp if there is alot of climbing. When legs are on the verge I naturally slow down and HR falls to 160-150. Every one is suprised I dont seem more tired but im going so slow I have completly recovered heart wise but legs are still shot.

So the question is is it heart related that is causing the lack of blood/oxygen to the legs or is it the legs just not able to keep up with demand and te heart relaxes as i slow down(makes sence)

I have cramped every race this year. I got faster from the first coiple races but didnt see much improvment for the last 5, finishing 5th in the last 4 races with the leaders nowhere to been seen.

I have tried electrolytes and gels. In fact the best race i had (felt the best) was straigh water. Electrolytes were giving me gas during the race.

Well hydrated before the race( clear urine and having to go every 30min it seems)

I guess I want to be efficent about training next season and really have no idea where my problem is stemming from.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mind the errors, my phone lags so bad when I type I can be four words ahead of it at times and editing is a risky game on my iphone it seems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There's nothing bad about being top 5 in cat2, that's not easy, there's plenty of guys who'd like to be there. What's your training like? hours etc? How many years have you been riding?, -stay fit through the winter?

Brant-C.
    are you doing any 3 to 4 hour rides at least once every other week? this is where road riding will benefit.

i had cramping issues a few years ago. my issue was not enough hours on the bike.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im not unhappy with my placing, just feel like I skated by as it wasnt a big class this year. Most rides I was alone as the top 3 where 10min ahead.

I have only been riding for 2.5 years.
    Trainning is mabye a ride or two a week. I try to do a longer distance then my races but I know I dont get out enough. With the faster guys being forced up ( again)next year,there is a chance I will podium. I want to be ready for the expert cat before the season starts in case there is a mandatory.

I dont think our sport is the same as your cat 2 (canda vs us) above me is still expert and then elite, which the pros race.

Thanks for taking the time.

mtbr member
    After making sure the water and electrolytes are good, any cramping issues left over are likely due to putting physical demands on the legs beyond what is experienced in training. In that case, you either have control your pacing during the race and/or put a little more high intensity effort into training.

Everyone responds to training differently, but...What has helped me in regard to cramping is to incorporate some 'above race pace' intervals into the training mix once or twice a week starting about a month before the first race. This is hard to do when you are training alone (which i do), so I have to use a trainer with an erg mode that automatically increases resistance to match a specified power output. This can take me right to the verge of cramping during a 30 minute trainer session. It's a lot cheaper and more fun to find a training partner that you can ride with (against) to get effort above race pace for short periods.

I am not a physio, but what i think this does is gets the muscle tissue used to hydrogen ion build-up due to anaerobic efforts...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaronongan View Post
    are you doing any 3 to 4 hour rides at least once every other week? this is where road riding will benefit.

i had cramping issues a few years ago. my issue was not enough hours on the bike.
    No I am not. I am trying to save some money for a road bike, my terrain does not sllow for easy long rides. If i get out for 2 hours a week, thats good for me.

Am I right in thinking, no matter how hard I ride for that 1.5h it wont replace the 3-4h rides at an easier pace?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've had the same problem, although not every race. I've only done 4 races, but 2 of them were at the same place, and I cramped both times. It's not very technical but its fast with lots of short, steep climbs that add up and put a beating on your legs. I agree with stevemtu that it's probably a matter of the legs just not being able to handle it, rather than a hydration/nutrition issue.

Fat-tired Roadie
    An observation, and some questions.

First, the observation: people at very similar fitness levels can have their landmark heart rates 20 bpm or more different from each other's. So the heart rate numbers you posted are just numbers, without more context.

Do you use heart rate zones?
    Do you warm up before you race?

I've read that one's heart's abilities actually don't have a ton to do with aerobic fitness once one has been training for a while. It has more than enough capacity, the problem is muscular composition. Basically more whether my legs can keep metabolizing nutrients and clearing lactic acid. Someone else will know how to explain this more rigorously, I'm sure.

Anyway, it does sound like you're starting too fast for the rest of how you're doing things at the moment.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Brant-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Trainning is mabye a ride or two a week.
    This quote sums it up...

To be competitive in Sport class and not bonk/cramp/blow up you need to ride more.

Beginner races I used to do were one hour. Then once I upgraded to Sport the races were typically 1.5 to 2 hours. Yes, I cramped and suffered. Never cramped in a beginner race but suffered lots.

Don't need a road bike. Ride your mountain bike everywhere/anywhere.

It's just the way it is.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Like others have said, you just gotta ride more...more miles...more time. Also, you will drop a few pounds perhaps (not that you are heavy), but being a little lighter might make you faster too!

Good luck out there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're finishing top 5 and just riding once or twice a week you are doing awesome. I was riding twice a week as of about a year ago, I found some motivation in December and started riding about 4-5 times per week, I made some large improvements and had surprisingly good race results. I doubt anybody near you in Cat2 is only riding once or twice per week, it's pretty unusual to do well with that little riding. Can you add a couple of days per week?, just adding short rides added mid-week will really help, even 30 min on the trainer so as to not go too long between rides.
    As for your weight; I think that if you step up your training and have a decent diet, your body will level off at a weight that is proper for you, -train and eat to get fast, not to lose weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had huge cramping problems in my calves on lap 3 of Cat 2 MTB races prior to this season. I was sufficiently trained with 3+ hr rides every 1-2 weeks and about 6hrs of training per week. I tried electrolyte pills with little effect and tried hydrating with water as well. The ONLY thing that I've works for me is to pre-hydrate with ~22-44oz of Gatorade a few hrs leading up to the race and Gatorade during the race as well. Other sports drinks may work as well. Not sure why this works and not the electrolyte pill alone but the difference is dramatic. Maybe the combo of carbs and electrolytes has something to do with it?

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    The top guys are probably all riding 10+ hours per week. It is a great result to be in the top 5 with such little riding. I personally ride between 10-15 hours per week although that is mostly road. I am usually somewhere in the top 5 in Cat 2, but my biggest pitfall is technical skills. I definitely have the fitness and power to ride Cat 1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was able to get consistent podiums in cat2 the 5 race series I did last winter/spring (two 1sts, a 2nd, two 3rds in my age group) on about 6 hours a week, so it is possible to do well with less hours. The first 3rd place I had a horrible back of the pack start going straight into single track. The other 3rd was very close, I was about 4 seconds back from the photo finish for 1st. I did the first cx race of the season about a week ago and got 4th in Cat3 (passed in the last corner losing 3rd, doh!, after another bad starting position), still on about 6 hours a week. I'll be doing Cat1 mtb in the spring, trying to get up to 8 hours a week of riding, -we'll see how that goes!, -probably not quite as well! I'm self employed and have small kids, so it's tricky to find those hours.
    I do one longer ride on a weekend morning, usually about 2 hours, a 1.5-2 hour ride on Wednesday evening, and two lunch-break rides midweek of 1-1.5 hours. I get my 9 year old son out 3x a week for about an hour, but it's really an easy pace for me, so I don't think it really counts. Hopefully in a couple years I'll have a fast new training partner in my son.

In his book, Carmichael talks about how critical it is to drink carbohydrate type drink in the 90 minutes prior to a race (the time crunched cyclist).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    am i crazy or is expecting any results with less than four hours a week of riding a little crazy. now your saying you might actually get moved up to cat 1 with this amount of time on the bike, and you have only been riding 2.5 years...

you must have been doing something else that was keeping you in pretty good shape before you started mountain biking i am guessing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is my honest opinion. The sport cat I race is kind of a mixed bag. There is 3 to 5 guys that are fast....very fast. They battled all seaon and even had a mid season mandatory upgrade that didnt happen for what ever reason. This year there was no begginer class. The field wasnt very large either. Some races there was 15+ and some were only 7 at the races that were a good drive away. The 35-39 cat has double te people and on paper looks like a tight challenging cat. I dont want any misconseption about my skills lol. Most races were 22-24km and would take about 1:20-1:30 to complete. The top guy was on average 10min ahead of me.

That being said, the top 3 move up and that leaves the slower guys move up to podiums and then a possible upgrade that I am not ready for. I want to be ready. If i come out next year feeling awesome a noticabky faster I will move up my self when allowed.

The gist of what I am reading is longer rides to condition the legs. Judging by the burn I always have when racing I might have to push through that for a while when training in order to move forward. Mentally I am alwasy pulling back because I inow the cramps will happen if I push to hard.

In these long rides, should they be a constant effort or are slow down periods allowed. Should the effort be easy or hard?

Brant-C.
    In these long rides, should they be a constant effort or are slow down periods allowed. Should the effort be easy or hard?
    The rides should be constant effort. Ride just before your legs begin to hurt and do your best to hold it. That burning sensation you feel when you are climbing and going hard during a race and have to back off to rest/recover...you want to be in that zone just before that happens. You can also sprint every hill just to get some kind of interval training in the ride. Make sure you get a good recovery ride the next day after these rides. Thirty minutes to an hour of slow spin riding.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    am i crazy or is expecting any results with less than four hours a week of riding a little crazy. now your saying you might actually get moved up to cat 1 with this amount of time on the bike, and you have only been riding 2.5 years...

you must have been doing something else that was keeping you in pretty good shape before you started mountain biking i am guessing.
    No way would this fly in S. Calif. where we race....unless machine is a freak of nature...which might be the case..haha. I moved up to Cat 1 out here a while back, but after working very hard for results in Cat 2. Based on my discussions with friends who were racing or are still racing 2's, they are doing purpose-filled training rides and averaging anywhere from 6-10 hours a week on avg.

Where do you race Machine? If the competition is legit and you are only riding a little bit and might be moved up to Cat 1, then you just might have a pro future ahead of you!

mtbr member
    On these long aerobic rides (for me), I find that the pace doesn't really matter too much and is self correcting. If you go too slow, then your butt will hurt since less force is going to the pedals and more weight will go on your butt and taint. And when you go up long hills, your pace naturally goes into the upper Tempo zone whether you like it or not.

So I wouldn't get all anal about the pace, but definitely get anal about the ride time. On weekends I usually like to get 3 hours Saturday, and 3 hours Sunday; it doesn't always work out of course.

I try to ride most weekdays and get 1-2 hours for each of those, with some bike commuting. If I have time and energy I may go for a 3 hour on a weekday.

For me, for the last 10 seasons, monthly ride time (for a few consecutive months) had the strongest correlation with good performance, within a particular season. Training stimuli effects different people different ways though.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member

Looking for advice for next season

Training is maybe a ride or two a week. I try to do a longer distance then my races but I know I don't get out enough.
    If you're able to ride a bit more each week that should greatly help with conditioning and fitness.

Probably the main thing is to look at your weekly schedule and try to find ways to fit in more riding, whether that's on the road, on a turbo trainer or even on an exercise bike in a gym. Your own bike is preferable to a gym bike but it's still better than nothing.

"Winter miles = summer smiles"

One way of doing this would be by doing double days training on the days where you have time available. A short ride in the morning and then another short ride in the evening perhaps. A turbo trainer is good for this as you can just hop on and go without worrying about weather or traffic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    No way would this fly in S. Calif. where we race....unless machine is a freak of nature...which might be the case..haha. I moved up to Cat 1 out here a while back, but after working very hard for results in Cat 2. Based on my discussions with friends who were racing or are still racing 2's, they are doing purpose-filled training rides and averaging anywhere from 6-10 hours a week on avg.

Where do you race Machine? If the competition is legit and you are only riding a little bit and might be moved up to Cat 1, then you just might have a pro future ahead of you!
    Not a freak by any means lol. I catch on quick but I think my cat is Pretty run of the mill. Me included. The guys that have 10min on me would be top 10 in expert mabye top 5.
    I made a joke to the leader as we started, he couldnt get clipped in and was beside me for about a min. I said "this is the longest I have seen you in a race".

I will make an effort to get longer rides in. Before the snow flies and try to get to some spin classes or somthing over the winter.

Big thanks for all the responces.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How many people race in your group?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    No I am not. I am trying to save some money for a road bike, my terrain does not sllow for easy long rides. If i get out for 2 hours a week, thats good for me.

Am I right in thinking, no matter how hard I ride for that 1.5h it wont replace the 3-4h rides at an easier pace?
    I think that riding 2 hrs a week and then racing for 1.5h is the problem. Not enough in week miles/time on the bike. I think you need to train your body to ride the distance and then add speed. I get the feeling you are trying to go balls out for too long and blowing up your legs.

Two things I would do are to get more miles/time in each week and increasing ride distance. I race on occasion and do ok when I do. I don't have the time to train properly yet I still get in more miles/hrs than you are. I try to get 2 or 3 1-hour road rides in each week and then 2 to 3 hr mtn bike ride on the weekends. This way a 2 hr race is pretty much a faster pace 2 hr weekend ride. My longest race was 3:40 min race that hurt me. I had been training with 3:30 min rides and that mean I was ok for the time and distance, but my issue was cramping (first time on the bike) . I think it was due to some unique situations on the trail and my in race decisions.

The other thing to consider is that if your legs are giving out before your lungs drop a gear and spin faster. Higher cadence will move from muscle strength power to cardio power and put more load on heart rate. So spin faster rather than push harder and it make make you last longer.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Machine4321,

I looked at your last race (Provincials) and noticed that your time increased by a huge amount for the third lap. I think everyone gave the right advice, more training and longer rides are critical.

My lap times are generally close and at the Provincials they got better with each lap although my first lap was a bit of a disaster. Anyway, my point is that if you manage to maintain lap times, you will be a completely different racer.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast