Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Long walk and regrets

I did Bear Springs Trap XC race yesterday. I pulled my chain between my small and middle ring and could not get it out. Therefore, I got to walk for roughly 6 miles to a DNF.

I had guys coming at me on a very narrow trail. I was pushing and guys were just yelling for me to move over, which I did, but I did get grumpy with one guy and said, "Dude, you are a Cat III racer in 40 place, give it a rest." I should not have said that rude comment but after 75 racers I was very fatigued and grumpy.

The bummer part is I was doing darn well before the chain problem. I had to take the crank apart to be the chain out. Sometimes you are the bug and sometime the window.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good on you for owning to acting like a jerk. Sometimes we all say things we wish we hadn't.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I didn't think it was possible to jam a chain in between rings.

mtbr member
    You know when I raced CAT III one of the things that really bothered me was how SOME racers of higher classes act like CAT III racers dont deserve the same amount of respect as other racers. Like somehow a race for a CAT III racer isnt as important to that racer as the race is to a CAT II racer. CAT II racers arent racing for money either.

Get off the high horse.

That being said, I appreciate your cander and you coming on here to admit regret.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Its ok, you were tired and frustrated. It happens, let it go. We have all screwed up like this from time to time.
    Yesterday i raced and from the start i knew it was going to be a bad day. I was recovering from the flu and i couldnt get any air into my lungs (thats how it felt). So i just relaxed and cheered on every rider who passed me. I offered encouragement, and i tried to pay attention so i could get out of their ways.

I finished dead last. I mean like 10 minutes slower then any other riders. But it was no biggie, life happens. Ive been where you have been, been tired and frustrated and been angry. In the end all that matters is that you were able to start a bike race and do amazing thngs on a bike that most people cant imiagine.

We learn from our mistakes.

BIll

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The rider was harsh in the way he asked me to move but I should have ignored him and been more mature. Nonetheless, I understand guys come to races to have fun. If you come to a race to not have fun and your name isn't Todd Wells or Adam Craig you might want to shake yourself and rethink your approach. I learned and won't repeat my grouchiness Really no high horse as I am just a guy on bike trying to finish and maybe get a top 5 finish a few times this year

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to jam a chain in between rings.
    Me either! I sometimes jammed it between the baby and the middle ring. It absolutely would not come out. The best part is I ruined a XTR chain and middle chain ring. That is what I get for riding XTR stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Me either! I sometimes jammed it between the baby and the middle ring. It absolutely would not come out. The best part is I ruined a XTR chain and middle chain ring. That is what I get for riding XTR stuff!
    I thought most of the riders (racers) rode a 2x9 or 1x10. Alot of riders race a 1x9 or 1x10 here, what set up are you running?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Long walk and regrets

Ran the last 5 miles of a race in March. Was battling for 3rd before my rear derailleur blew up. Still managed to not finish dead last. It happens and it is part of racing.

Adversity introduces a man to himself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Formerly of Kent
    When I last did Bear Springs Trap, it was the short track, and 75% of the course was covered in snow.

That sucked.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, it is a very technical race but probably not my favorite. You ride on a double track motorcycle trail system. It is more annoying then technical and a crash waiting to happen. I love to race and therefore have fun regardless...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was there racing also, it was a brutal course. Not sure what course you were on but the long course was nuts.

The moto woops are brutal on a MTB, you can't jump them and it's hard to plow through them.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The moto woops are tough and if you don't pay attention you are going down. I agree. It just isn't a good mountain bike course. I almost ate it a few times on some of the descents through the whoops. That said, it is a must race if you want to test your abilities.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    You know when I raced CAT III one of the things that really bothered me was how SOME racers of higher classes act like CAT III racers dont deserve the same amount of respect as other racers. Like somehow a race for a CAT III racer isnt as important to that racer as the race is to a CAT II racer. CAT II racers arent racing for money either.

Get off the high horse.

That being said, I appreciate your cander and you coming on here to admit regret.
    I am stoked to see cat 3 guys put in solid efforts out there. Because I race cat 1, I am rarely on the course at the same time as the 2's and 3's.

I respect everyone equally and I am polite to all...well..at least I try..

Having said this, a cat 1 race has a ton more effort/prep/sacrifice behind it than a cat 3 race most likely. I am guessing that a competitive cat 1 has logged hundreds, if not, thousands of more hours leading up to said race.

I don't know any cat 3's that have been logging 12+ hour training weeks year after year...

A cat 3 may have started biking 2 months prior to race...never know. We do know that is not how it works for the cat 1's. Also, cat 1's have sponsors in many cases that they are trying to keep happy.

This would explain any "attitude" you find from 1's to 3's. I am not saying it is justified, but might add some clarity.

I would say that many cat 3's are fairly unaware of the commitment it takes to being a competitive cat 1.

No need to talk down to anyone though...that is for sure..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The guy had a right to get mad at you. Don't walk down the middle of a trail when a race is happening. You would be mad too. When racing a walking rider should yield to those riding.

Metalheadbikerider
    The moto woops are tough and if you don't pay attention you are going down. I agree. It just isn't a good mountain bike course. I almost ate it a few times on some of the descents through the whoops. That said, it is a must race if you want to test your abilities.
    Best race in the state, in my opinion. It's a true mtb course. Great rock gardens, root sections, bermed descents, etc. I love it. I race it every year, and had to pass this year due to a rib injury. Killed me to miss it.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, it is a double track race with whoops and is fairly technical. Best race course is the Fat 55 in Oakridge--at least that I have done. But I get how a guy would enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Best race in the state, in my opinion. It's a true mtb course. Great rock gardens, root sections, bermed descents, etc. I love it. I race it every year, and had to pass this year due to a rib injury. Killed me to miss it.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by numchuks View Post
    The guy had a right to get mad at you. Don't walk down the middle of a trail when a race is happening. You would be mad too. When racing a walking rider should yield to those riding.
    I did yield to the riders. There was very little room for me to get over. I do appreciate your input . Maybe you should start a rule book for good manners on the race course.

Metalheadbikerider
    I gotta hit that one. I used to love the races in Oakridge. Brutal climb up The Wall, followed by great singletrack all the way back down. It's a bummer that we lost those races due to poor attendance.

Yaw, it is a double track race with whoops and is fairly technical. Best race course is the Fat 55 in Oakridge--at least that I have done. But I get how a guy would enjoy it.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    The Bear Springs race had brutal terrain.. I loved it! I'm a beginner/cat3 but it wasnt me that you yelled at
    "I see.." said the blind man pissing into the wind. "Its all coming back to me now.."

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would not yell at you I didn't yell at anyone. I just got snippy with someone who got snippy with me.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Do it

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    I gotta hit that one. I used to love the races in Oakridge. Brutal climb up The Wall, followed by great singletrack all the way back down. It's a bummer that we lost those races due to poor attendance.
    The Fat 55 was well attended and a great event. The last climb up the road to the top of Larrison Rock about kicked my butt. At the end there was a band, beer, and nice locals and riders to talk to...a lot of Cat 3 folks. It was not really done by top pro's except Evan Plew's. He did it SS and won. Guy is amazing!

mtbr member
    I get it, as long as you tried to get out of his way it should be all right. Next time maybe it will be him doing the hike....

As for sportsmanship, I had my back tire buzzed by a team rider in the middle of the night because, I didnt move over fast enough for him. (I told him to give me a minute to find a spot to move over).I was competing in the solo class and headed for the podium. I wasn't that happy about it, and I let him know. But, that's racing and that's how it goes sometime's.
    Last edited by santabooze; 05-05-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo

Lusus Naturae
    No need to apologize, we all get a bit irritated when things go wrong and then ontop of that someone gets rude on the trail.
    I"m surprised a beginner would get that kinda attitude, typically most non-sandbagging beginners are laid back. Most attitude I've seen comes from cat2; Pro and Cat1 are typically experienced enough to navigate slower riders without incident.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I hope most of us are trying to have fun. I want to have a beer afterwords and have a nice conversation. Maybe a fish story or two