likes to ride bikes

Lingering soreness from in-race cramp

I did well in a race Sunday and won it, but on the last couple of miles my right calf began cramping. Thankfully it happened on a gravel road section. I backed off a tad, stretched on bike and gulped Cytomax. By the next singletrack section it was no longer a problem.

When I woke up on Monday, the right calf was stiff. I drove to work (I usually cycle) then rode today, but it's still encouraging me to limp a little bit. My wife massaged it and put on Bengay. I'm 35 and know I'm gonna stay sore a little longer these days, but is there anything else I could do to make it recover a little better?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 10-07-2009 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Eat well, rest well. Massage will help.

mtbr member
    After events where my muscles were screaming a whole lot, like sunday's race, it takes quite a few days for the soreness to go away. Thats why we do intervals, they scream for a little while and then get a break, so recovery is fast.

Stretching after the race is important, especially the muscles that were hurting most. Its best to stretch soon after you finish, but also good to do several times through the afternoon and next day.

Most people say that a "recovery ride" where you pedal very low gears and keep a low HR for 45+ mins will help a lot, but I find that doesnt do it for me. I find I have push a little harder than that, like a raceday warmup (a few easy intervals, intensity goes up and down several times), then maybe a short tempo, and that gets the soreness out pretty well.
    I've also found that doing some upperbody work, that gets the breathing and HR up, works amazingly well. Try something like raking your yard really fast next time.

Other than that, plenty of water, rest, and food.

mtbr member
    Actually, Friel has an interesting concept that I also find to be true. http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/09/dof.html

Monday my legs didnt feel too bad, actually went jogging that morning, and felt good all of the day. I figured I would be ok to ride Tuesday morning, but woke up with a world of soreness in my quads. I dont know if the running helped or hurt, but the soreness was not running soreness.

likes to ride bikes
    Calf is feeling better this morning, thanks for the references. Now if I could just figure out how to stop popping tires on the cross bike...