Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Latex Tubes

I like to ride my bike.

Latex Tubes

Pros seem to be lightweight and less punctures.

Cons seem to be air loss and with the Michelins, the valve stem is not threaded (so it can twist and rip).

Thoughts?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    According to Jenson, the latex tubes aren't any lighter than Maxxis Ultralight tubes (latex=145g, maxxis=125g);

I do agree that less punctures is a big advantage.
    I usually pump up my tires before every ride, so air less is not an issue.
    I also preffer non-threaded valve stems.

With that said.. I don't use latex tubes. Why? Because I don't want to pay $14 per tube.

I like to ride my bike.
    I don't mind an extra couple of dollars if it means flatting less.

Are they just as pich-able as butyl?
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you mean by "pich-able", but, when I was installing mine - I felt like if I wasn't super careful, that I WOULD pinch it.

mtbr member
    I havent heard anything about less punctures, whats that about? I bought some vittoras many years back, and they punctured probably more often than others. They say not to patch them, but i patched them successfully several times.

But I dont think a few grams are worth the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've ridden latex Michelins for years, I think I've had two punctures, one from a nail and one from cactus. I ride 2.25s at 30psi and 2.1s at 35psi and weigh 140, never had a pinch flat. I used them on the road this year as well and had my first FLAT FREE road season! Also testing out 23mm latex tubes in my 32mm cross tires, so far so good, super light, great ride and NO FLATS at 45 psi even with some rim banging hits. I won't use any other tubes for competitive riding.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    you do realize that a UCI XC event hasnt been won on tubes since the 90s.......

just saying tubes are outdated and make you go slower.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why use tubes at all, tubless is much better ride, and never a pinch flat. Many ways to convert standard tires and rims to tubless setups. It's 2009, drop that 1800's technology and ride tubless.

I like to ride my bike.
    I've been hesitant to go tubeless since people are always burping tires, need a compressor, more expensive tires, etc.

But I guess I do have tubeless ready rims, so...

I was just curious about the latex thing because I know that Adam Craig carries a latex tube around on his race bike.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    I've been hesitant to go tubeless since people are always burping tires, need a compressor, more expensive tires, etc.

But I guess I do have tubeless ready rims, so...

I was just curious about the latex thing because I know that Adam Craig carries a latex tube around on his race bike.
    Latex tubes supposedly give you a little less rolling resistance. They are also supposed to resist punctures more (pinch and thorns) because the rubber is stretchier, but I think a goat head thorn is going to go through any tube, which is about the only cause of my flats. Latex tubes are more fragile, and sometimes fail in one big, long rip. That is why I quit using them. They also leak air faster than butyl, so you're pumping your tires more often.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Craig carries a latex as a spare 'cause it's lighter. Prob does not use in his tires,yes?

I use a UST tire, and Stan's rim/sealant, no burps, good luck with no flats, I have even seen small holes seal with extra air pressure and not removing the tire. It's a great system. Better than any tube I've even used.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I carry latex just because you never know when you might get lucky. ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Craig carries a latex as a spare 'cause it's lighter. Prob does not use in his tires,yes?

I use a UST tire, and Stan's rim/sealant, no burps, good luck with no flats, I have even seen small holes seal with extra air pressure and not removing the tire. It's a great system. Better than any tube I've even used.
    Me too. I run UST versions of the Racing Ralph mated to Stan's ZTR 355s, along with a Stan's yellow rim tape, ZTR valves, and some Stan's sealant. With some practice, I can now switch out a Ralph for a Nobby Nic in almost the same amount of time as it took me to swap a tube tire, and seal them with a floor pump.

Compared to the Stan's conversion approach or even other UST setups (where a compressor is needed to get the bead to 'pop' on the rim), this is the most painless configuration I could have gone with and lucked out since it was my first real attempt at tubeless.

I had tried conversions in the past using my Mavic wheelset and preferred tire choices from Kenda, all of which failed miserably (granted, non-UST versions of the Nevegal and Small Block 8 have been known to be poor candidates for tubeless conversions).

That said, I always carry a tube and compressed air just in case of a sidewall tear that I can't fix or a bead fails, so a latex tube may find itself in my Awesome Strap at some point next season (which is the best freebie I've ever scored at a bike race, I might add! It rocks!).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you do use tubes, I do recommend the latex ones particularly on hardtails as they flex a lot more than butyl - so its like having a half inch or inch or something of suspension for free. That said, I've heard tubeless people with big tires that are on the more flexible side say the same thing. But within the tubed world - it definitely adds a half inch or something of suspension that you won't have with normal tubes. There are drawbacks, some mentioned above, also my friends and I used to run Air-B back in the mid 90s and the glue that was used to hold the valve-stem area would melt under intense heat. I do mean very intense heat, one for example failed after we were carrying Bob trailers and descending a Colorado pass, so not a typical ride.

But, yeah, ride quality is increased quite a bit. I'm on the Michelin ones these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    you do realize that a UCI XC event hasnt been won on tubes since the 90s.......

just saying tubes are outdated and make you go slower.
    Meanwhile the tubeless hype cooled down a little bit and we can see that tubeless is just a system with pros and cons like other systems.

The Topeak Ergon riders use light tires with latex tubes again for example. Tests have shown just a very little, theoretical difference between tubeless and latex tubes. Installation time and work for tires with tubes compared to tubeless is just a joke, not to mention the costs. Schwalbe is testing new tube materials right now.

It seems, that tubes have a comeback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.SJ
    The Topeak Ergon riders use light tires with latex tubes again for example.
    This is probably more a function of the tires that they run. I tried to setup some Conti tires for my wife to try and they were nearly impossible to get them to seat (the bead on them is loose like a Kenda tire, my guess is their manufacturing tolerances are poor). When I finally got the tire on her bike and she went for a ride the sidewall gave up life while still on the fire road climb to get to the single track... I hate cleaning all that latex off her pretty carbon MTB.

The tires that we run aren't necessarily cheap, but we also don't have very many issues with them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Uh, bad story. Next to some good traits latex tubes also can (in very rare cases) explode, thatīs the reason for some riders to go back to xxlight butyls, which is just 1 Watt more rolling resistance, but means less puncture resistance (may be better with some sealant).

Anyway, Iīm waiting for the new tubes.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Meanwhile the tubeless hype cooled down a little bit and we can see that tubeless is just a system with pros and cons like other systems.

The Topeak Ergon riders use light tires with latex tubes again for example. Tests have shown just a very little, theoretical difference between tubeless and latex tubes. Installation time and work for tires with tubes compared to tubeless is just a joke, not to mention the costs. Schwalbe is testing new tube materials right now.

It seems, that tubes have a comeback.
    they run **** tires.

what cost are you speaking off? I am running tubeless for the cost of a roll of gorilla tape, and tubeless valve stems. On non tubeless wheels with non tubeless tires. I have not had a flat in 3 years and I ride 10+ hours a week on some of the rockiest terrain in the county.

my theory is those who dont run tubeless are just to damn stupid to figure it out.

The problem with test is this, I can ride trails fastest at about 25 psi, with tubes this would mean I would pinch flat every mile, with tubeless I have ridden about 4000 miles with out a single flat of any type.

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Cons: not tubeless

likes to ride bikes
    I had to run a race recently with a tube in the front tire after a sidewall tear in the preride. It worked fine, but I remembered the significant air loss between rides and two days later, got a flat on a tiny thorn. Laaaaame.

Tubeless, tubeless, tubeless.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Uh, bad story. Next to some good traits latex tubes also can (in very rare cases) explode, thatīs the reason for some riders to go back to xxlight butyls, which is just 1 Watt more rolling resistance, but means less puncture resistance (may be better with some sealant).

Anyway, Iīm waiting for the new tubes.

I am pretty involved in the race scene. When I look around the pits at a world cup I see only one team putting tubes in their bikes. Everybody else uses tubeless even those who are suppose to use tubes use tubeless.

Honestly I would like to use a tube, I hate changing tubeless tires. But I am yet to find a tube that allows me to run 20 psi without flatting five times a ride. (OK DH tubes work, but the weight more than my tires).

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Honestly I would like to use a tube, I hate changing tubeless tires. But I am yet to find a tube that allows me to run 20 psi without flatting five times a ride. (OK DH tubes work, but the weight more than my tires).
    So far I've had good experience running the insanely expensive Eclipse 56gms tubes, they are very resistant to pinch flats running Conti Race King 2.2 SS's at 25-28psi (I'm 195 lbs) on DT XRC330 rims. I've whacked the rim hard enough on rocks and roots to worry about the rim surviving with no tube issues. I have had blackberry thorn punctures with the thin carcass RK's, but they are very slow, like they take overnight to leak down, and are easily patched with their patch kits. I had a 50% failure rate on the first purchase of the new tubes but they were replaced on warranty and have had no issues with the replacement tubes or the other pair that I purchased.

The Eclipse tubes have no hysteresis, they roll incredibly fast, they take a while to stretch out in a big volume tire.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    they run **** tires.

what cost are you speaking off? I am running tubeless for the cost of a roll of gorilla tape, and tubeless valve stems. On non tubeless wheels with non tubeless tires. I have not had a flat in 3 years and I ride 10+ hours a week on some of the rockiest terrain in the county.

my theory is those who dont run tubeless are just to damn stupid to figure it out.

The problem with test is this, I can ride trails fastest at about 25 psi, with tubes this would mean I would pinch flat every mile, with tubeless I have ridden about 4000 miles with out a single flat of any type.

First: I wonīt write about those using tubes (may be for some reason ) that they are "just damn stupid to figure it out" without being acquainted to them. Makes simply no sense.

I have run tubeless, installed by me or a mechanic, and I am not convinced. So I went back to tubes. But I accept those running with it.

I am running my tubes (and racing with) front with 1.5 bar and rear with 1.8-2.0 bar (depends on the terrain). Within the last 50.000k with tubes again I have had 3 flats. These flats would have been also a real test for tubeless systems, I guess. Costs for the last 50.000k: 3 tubes and of course a few tires, thatīs all. The flat statistics isnīt that bad, I think, and it doesnīt bother me.

How much sealent has to be used for 50.000k

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have been using tubes again and a conventional clincher feels more stable (less wallow).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really don't understand why people think tubeless cost that much more. It's literally like $50 for tape, stems, and sealant and then maybe you spend 20 bucks on sealant a year. Best bang-for-your-buck performance enhancement you can do to your bike IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast