mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Lactic burn -- causes and solutions?

I often get severe burning in my muscles even during moderate efforts. It is mostly in my quads, but sometimes also hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors. On some days I feel really strong and can push hard on the climbs without pain, but lots of other times the burn limits how hard I can push, and even moderate efforts really hurt. My heart rate doesn't get too high, it's just that the burn is too painful and slows me way down.

I haven't figured out what causes this on some days and not on other days. I don't know if it's nutrition, hydration, or something else. Sometimes I can attribute it to a lack of recovery from a previous workout, but not always.

Has anyone figured out what causes this, and how to avoid it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think you have it right. Lack of recovery is one of the causes. I sometimes have this issue too. For me, more training (and for longer periods) seemed to help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also some folks have told me that a vitamin product called "sportlegs" can help. But I've never use it, so I can't comment on how effective it really is...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    research beta alanine

Beta-Alanine Supplements ? Evidence Shows This Amino Acid Boosts Athletic Performance

Baking Soda and Beta Alanine (Ethical Cheating or Ergogenic Aids)

Also research TUMS
    TUMS for lactic acid???? - G.N.I.C.T. - The Running Forum

Quote from link from article above:
    "The results of this study suggest that sodium bicarbonate may be used to offset the fatigue process during high-intensity, aerobic cycling lasting 60 min."
    Sodium bicarbonate can be u... [Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI
    Last edited by scottz123; 04-17-2013 at 05:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's some new info someone posted on RBR:

10 things you should know about lactic acid

My experience definitely lines up with the conclusion:

Lactic acid also is a powerful organic acid, and its accumulation can cause distress and fatigue during exercise. Athletes need both high intensity and over-distance training to improve the capacity to use lactic acid as a fuel during exercise and recovery. High intensity training develops cardiovascular capacity that reduces lactic acid transport to tissues that can use it as fuels. Over distance training causes tissue enzymes adaptations that increase use of fatty acids for energy. This helps slow lactic acid production from carbohydrates and to enhance tissues ability to use lactic acid as fuel.

See, you can't do it on HIT or BASE alone. You need both to maximize performance.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

bikerbert

Lactic burn -- causes and solutions?

Seen your doc yet?