mtbr member

Krietler Roller Black Residue

I've had a set of Krietler rollers for several years now.

After I use my rollers, I notice that a black layer of residue gets on the tires. Then I have to be careful to not stain my carpet, floors, my own legs, etc. Whatever it touches, it leaves a black mark.

Has anyone found a way to keep this residue from developing? Anyone else have this problem? I don't think it's from the drive train.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 11-13-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I get this one mine! I think it's rubber build-up from the tires. It used to be much worse when I road my mtb on the rollers. If I road them with knobbies, I would actually get rubber 'spray' onto the wall behind my rollers. With my roadie, I don't get spray, but I do get some minor residue on the rollers. This doesn't really transfer to my wheels and bike though. I do get aluminun oxide residue on my wheels though, but you get this from any trainer.

Waht do you rider on your rollers and what tires?

AZ
    banned
    Try using a tire with a higher duro , or trainer specific tire . Rollers and trainers can be very hard on tires .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    I get this one mine! I think it's rubber build-up from the tires. It used to be much worse when I road my mtb on the rollers. If I road them with knobbies, I would actually get rubber 'spray' onto the wall behind my rollers. With my roadie, I don't get spray, but I do get some minor residue on the rollers. This doesn't really transfer to my wheels and bike though. I do get aluminun oxide residue on my wheels though, but you get this from any trainer.

Waht do you rider on your rollers and what tires?
    It's my road bike. I have a Michelin Pro 3 Race in front. And a high mileage Michelin Krylion Carbon in front.

AZMTNS - I believe the Krylion is a high durometer tire. Due to it's emphasis on durability and high mileage capability.

Anyone have a method for cleaning, to minimize mess? I've tried using a soapy towel on the tires, and wiping down the rollers. But I get too lazy to do it all the time.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I've never really be concerned about the residue on the trainer. I run Conti 4000s'es on my bike and I think the redisdue on the drums is pretty minimal. When I used to ride my mtb with cheapo slicks, I got tons more residue and debris thrown off the rear.

I don't really see anything with the contis and I put about 3000 on my rollers last winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Get the conti trainer tire. Solved the problem with the black gupe residue stuff with my Computrainer