mtbr member
    May 2010

Knees hurtin a bit

Now that it's warming i've been on the bike again. Usually do some 35 minute pretty hit rides after work. Noticed after the last ride my knees are both a little sore. I'm 28 so hopefully it's not old age. What frequency is too much? I'm trying to get out every other day. Maybe skip 2 days between? Any suggestions? Would seat height be a factor. I'm pretty much extended all the way, could probably push it up another 1/2" though.

mtbr member
    you're doing 35 min rides every 1-2 days and your knees hurt?

That is essentially no ride volume. Is your bike fit way off? (cleat position, seat height....)

In a 35 minute ride, you are barely warmed up. Are you hammering from the time you start? Try warming up for 30 minutes. ride hard 30 and cool down 30.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    When you say your extended all the way - I assume you mean the seat / leg position when in the full downstroke position? If so - that might be the problem. I'd lower the seat a little and select gears that allow you to spin easier. 28 ain't old!! You may have something else going on there.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yes, on the down stroke my legs are almost extended all the way. I thought it was better to have them extended than be cramped? At least to me it is more comfortable. I read some people saying that spinning on a easier gear is harder on your knees than standing <shrug>

It could be the lack of warmup I do. I ride to the trail, but its almost all uphill on the way there. only about a mile or so, then I go riding. I will have to take that into account as I do warmup my muscles when weight training. It is only 35 mins of riding, but it's after working construction all day so I am on my feet 8 hours before that too.

Got some ice on them now, gonna go for an easier ride with the gf today and see how that goes. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    You do not want your knees extended all the way - that is bad. If you've ever lifted weights you can look at it in the same way --> The old school method on a bench press was to lock out your elbows at the top, along with other lifting exercise. Now research shows that will destroy your elbows - same thing goes for locking out your knees lifting. Keep in mind - when your biking, if your extending your leg all the way your essentially locking your knee out multiple times in just a 10 second period of time. If your riding up a hill in a hard gear and extending your leg your putting an incredible amount of pressure on your knees - over and over again. Drop the seat just a tiny bit so your knees have a little bend to them. Remember to look at your leg extension when your pedal is lined up with your seatpost NOT when your pedal is at the very bottom of the stroke.

-- as has been mentioned your knee shouldn't be hurting from a 35 minute ride.

banned
    Apr 2009
    1. try leg extensions with you toes pointed outward 30 degrees, this strenghtens the part of the knee that biking doesn't.
    2. try riding before work?? I know when I've done Construction-type work I always have to go riding first!--or my knee's would probably end up hurting (especially on a 1.5 hour ride)...
    3. Get an Omega 3 supplement. NOT FISH OIL which has Omega 6's that cause innflamation!00that should do the trick.
    Last edited by 247; 05-31-2010 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Can you post a picture of yourself sat on the bike? That might explain the 'extension' part a little better. As for should your knees hurt within 35 mins of riding - I would certainly say that is unexpected, so there's definately something you should investigate. It might be easier to visit a local bike shop with your bike, so they can give you a proper assessment. I was fitted using an approved cycling measurement technique in the UK and am 40 this year - riding for 2-3 hours at a time - which is why I suspect something is wrong with your fit. It could even be something simple like how your feet are on the pedals - Are you clipped in? Heals in towards crank arms - straight foot - or toes in towards crank arms? Very difficult to give any accurate assessment without seeing you on the bike. Hope my thoughts help.

ganginwood
    a basic guide for leg position would be to sit on your saddle and put the heel of your foot on the pedal. your leg should be completely extended at that point. but...when you bring the ball of your foot pack to the pedal (where you cleats are) it should give you the propper amount of bend in the knee. that's just a general rule...but it will get you close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ill have to snap a picture. I am not quite fully extended like I had thought I was. My knees some a bit better now. I think I was pushing too hard right out of the gate. I do 35 min rides after work, so warming up for 30 mins isnt really possible. I dont use clipless or cleats, just a straight pedal. I leave for work at 4:45 am. I can't ride before work unless I want to get up at 2 am lol.

Members who have read this thread: 0