mtbr member

Kenda Cup West Series-Santa Ynez course?

I'm planning to do the US Cup, Kenda Cup West Series round #4 at Santa Ynez. Racing Cat3. I have never been there so don't know how the course is like. Deciding to bring the hardtail or a short travel full suspension bike. Any suggestions?

190lbs of climber
    There are no rocks, but I've always been happier on a short travel full sus because the trails can be bumpy from the cows.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The course is dirt...a mix of single and double tracks that haven't seen rain in a few weeks. You'll have more fun on a short-travel FS bike for your one lap in Cat 3 as the trails will still have hoof prints in them this early in the spring. That being said, the perfect bike for that course is a 29er with 2.25 tires running 25-27 psi...nothing really tight and the combo of 29er and that size tire takes most of the bumpiness out of the course.

Last year, the rain one week before softened the ground enough for tracks to form and then bake during the week, but it wasn't long enough (1 month is usually what it takes) for those tracks to become compacted trail.

mtbr member
    MnMDan- Thank you VERY much for the detailed description of the course!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MnMDan View Post
    The course is dirt...a mix of single and double tracks that haven't seen rain in a few weeks. You'll have more fun on a short-travel FS bike for your one lap in Cat 3 as the trails will still have hoof prints in them this early in the spring. That being said, the perfect bike for that course is a 29er with 2.25 tires running 25-27 psi...nothing really tight and the combo of 29er and that size tire takes most of the bumpiness out of the course.

Last year, the rain one week before softened the ground enough for tracks to form and then bake during the week, but it wasn't long enough (1 month is usually what it takes) for those tracks to become compacted trail.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'll be there Cat 3 40-44. Thanks for the report.