mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Kenda Cup #2 Fontana Pro videos

I am a Minnesota guy who was out for some business and got to watch a couple of my friends race on Saturday and Sunday in the XC and the Short Track. I have never seen short track before...what a great thing to watch...would love to do it sometime...there is nothing like it here in MN.

Anyway...I took a ton of footage of the races (mostly the Short Track) and posted some of it on youtube...thought that there might be some of you that would be interested in watching...I know that I was looking for stuff (videos & pics) of race #1 and will be looking for anything I can find on future events that my friends are racing in.

Here are the links:

Short Track lap #1 from one vantage point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut0zYXviAPs

A video from the only downhill section of significance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z4uV_FZ_B4

A video from just after the parade or prelap prior to heading up the first little climb to another flat section before the serious climbing begins. This is from the XC on Saturday...there were 100+ starters in the pro field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMY7DlT04c0

This is a short video showing the flat section after the little climb on the prior video. This shows a long view of how long and high the climb is...I rode the climb prior to the race...it was sick how long and hard parts of it were...I tried to imagine racing up it lap #1 and also 4 more times in 2 hours...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Iy9IUCfDQ

I have more videos of the Short Track if people want them...mostly of the downhill section and the part of the course above the start prior to the only little climb.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Pretty darn fast! Thanks..

The Missing
    May 2007
    that looks brutal super fast and some climbs and whole hell of a lot of people.

good stuff thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Here is a pre-ride of the entire XC course, via Geoff Kabush. http://www.inouatlas.com/trip/detail/2393/

No race action, but its pretty cool to see the video coincide with the map.

mtbr member
    Nice vids. Heres another sweet one...
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....96844&comments

mtbr member

Early Gaps

In the "parade lap" video, you see me come through almost 30 seconds behind the leader. That's 3 minutes into the race! I had already been forced off the bike twice because of congestion, and it happened again on the short steep climb and then on the 4 minute climb. Navigating the crowds is a crucial part of these national pro races, where the guys in front are going hard and you are back in the field chomping at the bit!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In the Kabush youtube pre ride the video makes the climb look much, much easier than it actually was...it was a lung burner...cant imagine racing up that lap 1 or any of the other 4 laps! A buddy that raced the course thought that there was between 900 and 1000 feet of climb per lap.

Great contributions all...thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by massalsa
    In the Kabush youtube pre ride the video makes the climb look much, much easier than it actually was...it was a lung burner...cant imagine racing up that lap 1 or any of the other 4 laps! A buddy that raced the course thought that there was between 900 and 1000 feet of climb per lap.

Great contributions all...thanks!
    my garmin claims we climbed 800ft per lap. it hurt on the 4th lap.

here is my file from the race. i won CAT1 35-39.

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/76247917'></iframe>

the last lap on the file was cooldown.
    Try to be good.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme

here is my file from the race. i won CAT1 35-39.

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/76247917'></iframe>

the last lap on the file was cooldown.
    edited...oops

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Your heart rate says you weren't trying hard enough. Time to cat up!

Seriously though, congrats on your win and one of the fastest cat 1 times. That's one hell of a recovery from last year's fiasco.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1072
    Your heart rate says you weren't trying hard enough. Time to cat up!

Seriously though, congrats on your win and one of the fastest cat 1 times. That's one hell of a recovery from last year's fiasco.
    thanks. not sure my HR is accurate. have been having issues with cadence and PT dropout on my garmin since the firmware update and it seems my HR might be wonky too.

i can assure you i was on the rivet every time up the Elevator, and that on the last lap i was on the verge of locking up.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks. not sure my HR is accurate. have been having issues with cadence and PT dropout on my garmin since the firmware update and it seems my HR might be wonky too.

i can assure you i was on the rivet every time up the Elevator, and that on the last lap i was on the verge of locking up.
    I didn't see you make this face once, so you definitely weren't working hard enough

mtbr member
    Dang I was hoping you caught my short track crash on video! Thanks for posting though!
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mnoutain bkie rdier

Which section is the "elevator". I felt like there were 3 different sections that could be called the "elevator"..haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Which section is the "elevator". I felt like there were 3 different sections that could be called the "elevator"..haha.
    if you rode or raced the CAT1/Pro course, it was the awesome fun-ness that happened right after the 180 left. Troy and company were climbing it in the picture allison posted below.

on the profile, it is the first BIG climb every lap.

none of the other climbs on the course even come close in comparison.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My eyes were bulging out every time I did the elevator climb. There was no way you could take it easy on that climb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LeStrong
    My eyes were bulging out every time I did the elevator climb. There was no way you could take it easy on that climb.
    hahah.. in warm up i was like "if i could just get all the guys to ride this slow..."

it is a brutal climb, but it was in perfect shape and there was ample traction to clean it every lap!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Better late than never I guess... Finally finished my race report from Fontana and there's a couple videos on there too. http://claassenmtb.blogspot.com/2011...e-crown-2.html
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

Members who have read this thread: 0