mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Keep the Old or Go New

I own a 2012 Trek Mamba with a bontrager rhythm comp wheel set with tubeless tires. I like it but its still a bit heavy. Rather than over upgrade it, I'm looking at some sales on lighter bikes. I'd say my budget is 1500 with some wiggle room up depending on specs. My question is should I just keep my current bike or spring for a new one and sell the old? For example I know I can get a Trek Superfly Al for 1400 and there are a few other deals that look promising. What do you think?

I'd rather be riding
    Which superfly AL are you looking at? I've got one of those frames with some carbon bits, an xt build, reba and stans wheels and it's about 24lbs in an XL. It's a great bike a bit stiff though. I think you'd notice an upgrade in drivetrain and brakes...the frame not so much other than weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just the basic Al with the Reba fork and a mix of XT/Deore. I have a 19' frame for the Trek size on my mamba and even with the lighter wheels I feel like I'm still closer to 30#. I'm definitely a stronger climber and the heavier weight definitely can be frustrating sometimes.