mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Just commuted to the biggest race of the year with 8 weeks to prepare, help!

It's a long story how I fell into this but I'm committed to a serious race and need to get the most out of 8 weeks.

Background: decent base. Current weeks look like 2 days intervals 2*20min 4 min rest on trainer z4. Two or 3 days easy 1-3 Hr trail ride z1-z2. 1 race on road bike. Either 40 min crit, 40m rr or Tt. 3 days gym core work paired w easy rides. Enough to keep me competitive in men's b category on minimal work.

Need to step it up big time. Two mtb races July 15th and 17th. Race 1 40 min crit. Race 2 approx 1.5 to 2 Hr xc race.

Reading the forums on intervals I plan to stick w my aerobic 2*20mins and may go to 3*20mins next week to build threshold and endurance. Then I would like to improve anaerobic recovery and begin to do progressively shorter and more intense intervals approaching July.

Question: looking to get the best build possible in 8 weeks, 2 interval sessions and a race or 3 interval sessions a week plus easy recovery rides and core work. Opinions welcome/ help needed!

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hm, recently I have found my biggest gains came from two sources 1) Riding with faster Riders (mostly road in my case) 2) Doing MTB races and evening road crits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Whatever you do, don't think that you have 8 weeks. Take your race date and work backwards with a good taper just before the race.

My plan:
    Week 8: race week, 3-4 60-90sec intervals 2x this week, otherwise slow easy recovery rides
    Week 7: rest week

That leaves 6 weeks to build/rest/build

So looking at that basic formula, make it 2.5 weeks of build, rest 7days, then 2.5 weeks of build again (that gets you through week 6).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Just commuted to the biggest race of the year with 8 weeks to prepare, help!

Thanks for the suggestions. Denver I aim to do as many road races and Crist as possible before then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Just commuted to the biggest race of the year with 8 weeks to prepare, help!

Lowagriz I appreciate the plan. I like the rest toward the end, the taper is one aspect of the build I wasn't sure about.

The week off after the first 2.5 surprises me though, why would this be more beneficial than doing 6 consistent weeks then doing the 2week taper?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

If you truly go hard during the 2.5 week session, then that week easy (not totally off) will help you be ready for the second session. You need to be rested enough to go truly hard when training calls for it. The one thing that I've learned in the past few years is that I was training in the upper middle zones. Hard must be hard and easy must be really easy for me to see gains.

If you are young and strong enough, you might be able to do 4 days easy after that 2.5.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Ok this makes sense, I am going to go proper hard starting Saturday and see how my body feels after the 2 week point.