smell my finger
    Mar 2008

Junior XC racing teams in Northeast

My son has been done real well racing junior expert this past season and was wondering where I could find information on a few racing teams that he could look into to give him an idea of commitment, training and opportunity to compete at a higher level. Don't have the money to travel all over the country so he has to pick and chose his races. Also, at what age is a coach appropriate? I know there are a lot of info on the web that can provide you with training regiments etc so is a personal coach really necessary?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    probably the best resource for any type of racing would be www.usacycling.org. go to find club and then choose your state. It really is the easiest way to find local clubs/teams and most teams list a contact if you have any questions.

As far as the coaching aspect is concerned, i think it really depends on how well your son can motivate and push himself to train harder. You often here of people complaining about their inability to get faster or sprint harder, and it simply comes down to the fact that they can no longer push themselves to the limit to get faster. Simply put, some people need coaches others dont.

mtbr member
    I'm a junior too, and interested in racing. To the father 'Lablover' I would really appreciate some info on the races your son attended.
    [SIZE="4"]
    Mountain biking for beginners
    [/SIZE]
    A site dedicated to helping beginners

It's about showing up.

More info needed

How old is he? How long has he been racing? What kind of results has he been getting against what sort of fields?

mtbr member
    I'm sixteen and haven't raced yet. I've been riding for a solid four years and am looking to expand into racing. I'm pretty quick, but haven't had a chance to prove myself in a race yet.
    [SIZE="4"]
    Mountain biking for beginners
    [/SIZE]
    A site dedicated to helping beginners

smell my finger
    Mar 2008

junior expert

My son's been racing for a solid 3 years, this past year in the junior expert division. Has 2 second place finishes, one DNF, and the rest 1st place. Has also raced in the High School series and has done progressively better each year, holding the top spot this year. In doing some research on the USA cycling site, he will need a license this next year to race the route 66 series. There doesn't seem like there's a lot of teams listed though and I'm not sure how to get a list of these and point of contacts. I think he's well motivated to train but I'm not sure he would prefer to do it alone or with a training partner. When should training begin in January or sooner? Any thoughts?

It's about showing up.

My first thought is about contacting resources.

Your son seems motivated and that is the most important element. Second, he seems to perform successfully against the prevailing competitors. What I don't understand is, if he has been racing for so long, why you haven't found any contacts at the race venues. After all, as a coach myself, I know I do a lot of standing around at races and shooting the breeze with interested parents. Also, depending upon your racing culture, other parents of racers have resources to share. Some folks guard their info jealously. Here in Northern California, though, with the success of the 500 racer NorCal High School League and now the new SoCal League, competition is considered inclusive and the resources are willingly shared.

I imagine that you have already spoken to principals of the local bike shops. These are the hubs of the local cycling culture and have lots of contacts and experiences over time. Another method is to broaden your search to things you might not have considered. It may be that the local reps for the large bike and component companies; these guys are privy to lots of ambient info and are often former racers themselves just glad to have a job in the industry. Talk directly to race promoters.

In the mean time look for other kids for him to ride with; those kids ought to be easier to find at races.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    You should check out

cycleyouth.com and mtbandy.com

Cycleyouth is a jr. team that is located mostly in the southeast (coach Andy is in Atlanta, GA). We do, however have riders from Virginia, Tennessee, Indiana, Arkansas, and Wisconsin. I joined the team at the beginning of this year, and it has been a great experience for me. I went from not ever having really raced a XC race to placing in the top 10 in Jr. Ex at nationals as a 17 year old. Coach Andy Johnston is an awesome guy, and he is not just interested in making you a fast junior, but developing you into a fast elite racer. I would definately suggest giving him an email.

I will PM you.

Shut up and ride
    I am unaware of any junior only teams, but it almost sounds like a coach is more in line for what you are looking for.

If you are looking for training partners then you need to find a local team to where ever you are...most teams are eager to add junior or women to their squad