Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Julien Absalon kicks ass.

The guy is the greatest XC racer of all time and he eats half a loaf of bread (gluten my ass) and a jar of Nutella as his pre-race meal. He also drinks Diet Coke. After hearing much less successful athletes go on ad nauseam about their rigid nutrition habits I find this pretty cool.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ya I never bought Into that sh*t either. I eat when I am hungry and don't eat fried / fatty foods. It works out for me.
    "Shut up legs!"- Jens Voigt

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    The guy is the greatest XC racer of all time and he eats half a loaf of bread (gluten my ass) and a jar of Nutella as his pre-race meal.
    Yeah, and Chuck Norris eats a kilo of broken glass for breakfast each morning. It must be true, I read it on the internet.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    Yeah, and Chuck Norris eats a kilo of broken glass for breakfast each morning. It must be true, I read it on the internet.
    That's funny I know that Nutella is commonly consumed within the cycling world..hmm..are these guys getting kick backs for endorsing the product. Nutella needs to write them a thank you letter for sure..what great advertising.

I don't agree with "pounding a loaf of bread" pre race, but hey....whatever works right?!
    Last edited by rydbyk; 06-18-2011 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    The guy is the greatest XC racer of all time and he eats half a loaf of bread (gluten my ass) and a jar of Nutella as his pre-race meal...
    I saw a Todd Wells interview and he talked about seeing Burry (who saw Julien) pound bread and Nutella as his pre race meal, so now he does it too.

Crossing Paths: "Pre-Race Rituals" from Jim Fryer/BrakeThrough Media on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    I predict over the next few months and maybe even years, you will see regular threads pop up about nutella and toast for breakfast in this forum! The type and makeup of the bread will be highly debated, and then questions will be raised about the various other brands of chocolate hazelnut creme.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    I predict over the next few months and maybe even years, you will see regular threads pop up about nutella and toast for breakfast in this forum! The type and makeup of the bread will be highly debated, and then questions will be raised about the various other brands of chocolate hazelnut creme.
    ...........and Nutella will have to add a extra shift to keep up with increased demand.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nutella is so 2010. NuttZo is the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInt View Post
    Nutella is so 2010. NuttZo is the future.

Nuttzo PF is the bomb. I hate how it drains my bank account though...
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    29er bread is superior.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Spsoon is wrong!

Spsoon you have no clue. 26er bread goes down with a little more finesse and is eaiser to digest. 29er bread is too large and takes for ever to go down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Disregard last post

Please disregard the last post. It really comes down to the person eating the bread. The digestive system is what really matters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Slightly OT but did you know that Pietro Ferrero, CEO of the Ferrero Group was a super-avid cyclist and racer, and died of heartstroke during a training ride in south africa?
    Rest in Peace, Mr. Nutella
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Had some nutella on multigrain this am, and then proceeded to do a very strong training ride! Gonna have to take this to the next level: fill the gel flask with nutella and pop some of those nutella-filled cookies during races.

No to take anything away from Julien, but the title of this thread should be changed to Nutella kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    "If the furnace is hot enough, it will burn anything"

Burn that many calories, eat what you want (within reason of course. Still need vitamins and such),

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think he did a carbo loading. Some athletes do this. They've been packing their bodies with a lot of calories a night before the competition begin.

g3h6o3
    I eat Nutella almost every morning, on blueberry bagels and effin' good! This morning I had no Nutella left so I'm heading to Costco this evening... no joke!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    I eat Nutella almost every morning, on blueberry bagels and effin' good! This morning I had no Nutella left so I'm heading to Costco this evening... no joke!
    I used to do Nutella on whole-grain bread pre-ride/pre-race. Then I ran out of Nutella, and on a whim I decided to buy honey instead of Nutella. So now I do honey drizzled over a few slices of whole-grain. I like it a lot more than Nutella. (I feel like a heretic saying that, but it's true.)
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Can you beat speghetti? I don't know if it's possible. Hasn't failed me yet. Erik, I believe simpler carbs are better for carb loading. Just food for thought.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Can you beat speghetti? I don't know if it's possible. Hasn't failed me yet. Erik, I believe simpler carbs are better for carb loading. Just food for thought.
    Yea, I'm still trying to figure it out. One reason I like the whole-grain/honey combo is because it hasn't been prepared by my campus dining commons. There's apparently a kitchen in one of the library basements somewhere, but that place is a maze and I have yet to find it and cook spaghetti and whatever else my cold heart desires.

(And we do have to pay to use the campus gym. I think tuition goes towards paying the seven dwarves for making all the buttery spaghetti we wouldn't want.)
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OLx6 View Post
    Please disregard the last post. It really comes down to the person eating the bread. The digestive system is what really matters.
    As a smaller rider, I didn't find as much benefit with the 29er bread as some of the larger guys I ride with, so I'm sticking to the 26er bread.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    As a smaller rider, I didn't find as much benefit with the 29er bread as some of the larger guys I ride with, so I'm sticking to the 26er bread.
    Maybe try a loaf of 650b.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Maybe try a loaf of 650b.
    I considered that, but then I would be limited in my choices of spread, lol.