lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Joule 2.0 vs Garmin series

Anyone have comparative experiences with these? I'm moving towards a more analytical approach to my riding and like the ANT compatability of the Joule 2.0. I have no need for mapping, just ride data analysis and long term reliability.

Larry

SS XC Junkie
    I like the Joule. The new Joule is supposed to be released in November and be cheaper than the current version. I had problems with my Garmin500 locking up but that was last year when it was still relatively new. I assume they have the quirks fixed? The only problem I've had with my Joule is that it does NOT like Windows7 64bit. The two work together but it is awfully slow. Saris says they know about this and hoping to fix it in an upcoming version of firmware.

Outrunning zombies
    I have a Garmin 310XT. I have had zero issues with it, and it has good battery life. Can be used during triathlons too. It also has ANT+.
    GF/Trek HiFi | Hardrock Sport Disc 29er
    If you don't eat **** every now and again, you aren't riding hard enough!

mtbr member
    The Cycleops Joule 2.0 is a good head unit whilst riding but the compatibility issues with Windows 7 64 bit are extremely frustrating, especially as it has been a known issue for a long time. Every time I tried to download the data from the head unit it was close to being thrown out of the window. If you're going to use it with Windows XP, Windows Vista 32 bit or Windows 7 32 bit then the connection issue isn't a problem.

My CycleOps Joule 2.0 head unit filled with water after riding in the rain. It was replaced under warranty but I haven't taken the replacement one out of its box. My Garmin Edge 500 has been ok once I worked out which settings to use for recording - Never use courses, have everything on manual settings and never stop the timer whilst out riding (cut the stationary time out manually in WKO+ 3.0 post ride). I haven't had any problems with dropped connection to the power meter, corrupted data or freezing.

My comparison and discussion of the CycleOps Joule 2.0 and Garmin Edge 500 head units Post #54 onwards.

PowerTap Disc

Here's a weightweenies thread on the same topic:

Weight Weenies • View topic - Joule 2.0 vs garmin edge 500 quick review

The new CycleOps Joule head units are coming out soon and are much cheaper than the CycleOps Joule 2.0.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks to all. I'll wait for the newer, less expensive Joule and take it from there.

I've picked up the training with power book and find it interesting enough. However, as WR304 has mentioned in the past and shown with his own experience, the real utility of the power meter is in the analysis you can do of the various sets of data. i.e. It's the software analysis you can perform on the accumulated data that's important. Being frugal and thoughtful (I humbly submit), I know I can start out without the expensive power meter. Under carefully controlled conditions - rollers with identical tire pressures and bike setup - velocity will correlate with power output and I can start the analysis without the expensive power meter. That should keep me interested into the winter and I can get the power meter itself if my interest stays peaked.

Larry