mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Joint supplement?

What brand would you recommend for Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM? There are so many out there but not sure which one to get. Thanks in advance?

GMM
    mtbr member
    Osteo Bi-Flex with 5-Loxin Energy Formula Dietary Supplement

I like this stuff. Works well for my arthritic knees. I often find it on sale 2 for 1 at the local drug store.

mtbr member
    Make sure to stay up to date with your fish oils, too. Nordic Naturals is the best I've found.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Nordic Naturals, Definately... Get the 'Omega 3 Ultimate' with Vitamin D3 (stay away from extra Omega 6's that are found in regular fish oil.) It has my joints feeling 1/2 their age.....

Sweep the leg!
    I'm taking Glucosamine HCl to thicken the joint (synovial) fluid in my ankle. "Up & Up" brand from Target. It's hard to tell if it's working yet since I won't be allowed to bear weight on the ankle until April.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I'm taking Glucosamine HCl to thicken the joint (synovial) fluid in my ankle. "Up & Up" brand from Target. It's hard to tell if it's working yet since I won't be allowed to bear weight on the ankle until April.
    I've been using this stuff by a company called Wellesse that I get at Costco. It's a liquid in this berry flavor that doesn't taste too bad when I add it to my Ultimate Post Workout Smoothie recipe. I have to run now that I'm a tri-geek as opposed to my NORBA days. It's preventative.

mtbr member
    I like the Hammer Nutrition Tissure Rejuvinator
    Tissue Rejuvenator - Natural Joint Pain Relief | Hammer Nutrition

I used to take Glucosamine-Chondroitin supplements, some with MSM but the Hammer really blows them all away. It's got a bunch of other anti-inflammatory herbs in it as well. Within a week or two of running out and using standard Glucosomine, I can feel the difference in my knees.

I'll have to try the Nordic Naturals as well to supplement my Omega 3 intake.

mtbr member
    I would strongly recommend that you save any money you would have other spent on these products and invest it on something else. This stuff has been studied extensively in the medical literature. Although it is true that the cartilage in the knee receives systemic blood flow, numerous studies have shown that these supplements never enter the actual joint space and have NO effect on restoring/repairing/protecting the cartilage. Placebo is a real effect--and can be a powerful effect. If these medications work for you, keep taking them. However, if you think that these supplements are physically doing something to the cartilage in the knee, the research would say you are wrong. And, yes, the NIH has funded numerous studies on all of these supplements.

Although many on this forum are already at ideal body weight, the first piece of advice any orthopedic surgeon will give you for joint pain is to lose weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
    I would strongly recommend that you save any money you would have other spent on these products and invest it on something else. This stuff has been studied extensively in the medical literature. Although it is true that the cartilage in the knee receives systemic blood flow, numerous studies have shown that these supplements never enter the actual joint space and have NO effect on restoring/repairing/protecting the cartilage. Placebo is a real effect--and can be a powerful effect. If these medications work for you, keep taking them. However, if you think that these supplements are physically doing something to the cartilage in the knee, the research would say you are wrong. And, yes, the NIH has funded numerous studies on all of these supplements.

Although many on this forum are already at ideal body weight, the first piece of advice any orthopedic surgeon will give you for joint pain is to lose weight.
    Guess I will be getting down to my race weight and see how I feel first. Thanks for all the advice.

mtbr member
    Bummer, I just looked up a couple studies and saw the same thing. I've got a ton of G-C pills at home and another bottle of the Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator. I guess it's the herbal anti-inflammatories that I'm feeling more than the effects of the glucosamine or chondroiten.