mtbr member

It's race season, who's still lifting?

I'm keeping it going. Twice a week. Usually wednesdays and Sundays late in the evening.

Doing my own little experiment based on this much better experiment:
    In-season strength maintenance training i... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

So far this season, my riding has been pretty solid. Need to do more racing/testing to know for sure. (did a Masters 40+ crit and won a prime; that's a first).

So who's still lifting?
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm not "lifting" per se but still doing foundations and other "strength" related work 2x / week - not including yoga

mtbr member
    Goddamnit, I need to be. Gym time has been supplanted with bike time per Friel. Screw his stupid advice. I'm tight in the hammies and lower back thanks to that cogg sukker.

So, I to need to return to the gym for my yoga and lifting fixes. I do not have time to simply add the necessary ride time to my prior fitness regime, the latter of which left me feeling much better all around than simply riding.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I'm keeping it going. Twice a week. Usually wednesdays and Sundays late in the evening.

Doing my own little experiment based on this much better experiment:
    In-season strength maintenance training i... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

So far this season, my riding has been pretty solid. Need to do more racing/testing to know for sure. (did a Masters 40+ crit and won a prime; that's a first).

So who's still lifting?
    How , what , when are you doing the lifting? Please inform, as I am interested in doing this sorta thing.

Thx.

mtbr member
    Definitely still lifting but unfortunately I haven't started racing yet as the snow is still in the woods around here. On top of that I have been working at a gym and doing some personal training so it's easy for me to rip out a 1/2 hour workout during my lunch or a good workout between clients. I do like the strength gains I have got from lifting both upper and lower body. Upper body is slowly going more to callisthenics type workouts as I like the core activation in it. Lower body is a combination of callisthenics and Olympic lifts as I find them a lot of fun to do.

A little advice that I should have followed this past weekend though. I did a pretty big leg day on Saturday lifting to failure on a few different lifts (single leg squats and dead lift) and then followed that up with a good interval road ride the following day. This left my legs completely dead for any type of workout or ride the past 2 days, only light riding to and from work and walking around work all day. So my advice would be to not push the weights too hard keep them in a muscular endurance type workout.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    How , what , when are you doing the lifting? Please inform, as I am interested in doing this sorta thing.

Thx.
    Midweek and Sunday lifting. Nothing complicated. Following same lifts as the study:
    "half squat, leg press with one leg at a time, one-legged hip flexion, and ankle plantar flexion". I believe it was 4 sets of 10-15 in the study. (I can't find a copy now)

-For half squat I just do dumbell squats.
    -Leg press one at a time = pistol squat holding single dumbell with both hands. Going as deep as a pedal stroke (not very deep).
    -Ankle plantar flexion = Calve raises, one leg at a time. I do these on a stair step.

I haven't found a way at home to simulate one legged hip flexion. I believe it is simulating the upward part of pedal stroke. Not sure it's that important though as not much power is created at that part of pedal stroke.

I still keep my riding time the same, 6 days a week, just add the lifting on top at home at night, most times when I'm still in my spandies. If I have to go to a gym I won't do it.
    www.utahmtb.org

mtbr member
    hip flexsion - single leg raises on back, butterfly kicks lying down, or use a resistance band atached to something low and do sprinter starts. you could also try moutain climbers.

Increased hip flexsion strength will decrease the negitive peddle pressure, there was a study I read not long ago using high level cyclists showing a workout program focused on hip flexors and hamstrings increasing power output on a 30k time trial.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Always pushing harder!!!
    I'm still lifting...once a week a heavy block of racing, now twice a week to rebuild again for second half of the season. I lift on Mondays for an hour before my regular trainer hour and Thursdays after an hour on riding...but one uncommon thing...my gym is close so I run there...mile and a quarter and it takes me around 10 minutes...it really gets me going

Brant-C.
    Once per week. Squats deadlifts bench presses.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Three times a week here. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Don't do much leg work in the gym during season, but hit 'em pretty hard in the winter. If rain is in the forecast, I'll opt for it. Still do upper body/core stuff. I'll do my big compound lifts on Monday, so I guess that kinda' counts for legs.
    Livin' the dream.

Registered Dietitian
    2x/week,only upper body (dips, pull-ups, push-ups, overhead press, etc) and deadlifts (to work posterior kinetic chain), plus core work. Takes me all of 30 minutes each workout. I keep sets and reps low with weights relatively high (2 sets x 5-10 reps with 225-250 lbs on deadlifts, for example, at a body weight of 140 or so) to maintain strength without hypertrophy or digging into reserves too much. Helps me to prevent injuries and balance out what the bike doesn't address.

Before anyone freaks out about the deadlifts, I have a pretty extensive lifting background and have been a lot heavier/stronger in years past, and I don't go anywhere near failure on any lifts during season. Deadlifts are great for maintaining full body strength, useful as we age, but proper form is key and starting very light and progressing slowly is essential to avoiding injury.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    still lifting but now taking a 2 weeks break to be fresher for round 1 and 2 of Canada Cup, then I will get back into lifting once the 2nd round is done. Lifting twice a week on Z2 days, low volume, 3-4 exercises, thats it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    hip flexsion - single leg raises on back, butterfly kicks lying down, or use a resistance band atached to something low and do sprinter starts. you could also try moutain climbers.
    Thanks for the recos. Single leg raises while lying on back will probably fit the bill.
    www.utahmtb.org

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post

225-250 lbs on deadlifts

Before anyone freaks out about the deadlifts, I have a pretty extensive lifting background and have been a lot heavier/stronger in years past, and I don't go anywhere near failure on any lifts during season. Deadlifts are great for maintaining full body strength, useful as we age, but proper form is key and starting very light and progressing slowly is essential to avoiding injury.
    whoa!!! thanks for clearing that point!!!

I used to put some heavy weight back en I played B-ball and volleyball, but my knees started to give out...nowadays I don't do dead lifts anymore, but I wish I could...power lifting moves and plyometrics helped me developed a great high jump back then, and I guess that now translates to a lot of holes shots and never loosing a sprint finish, even if I don't work on that in my bike training...

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Do 12oz curls count? Sounds like I might want to bump it up to 16oz for more power this season.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Do 12oz curls count? Sounds like I might want to bump it up to 16oz for more power this season.
    Every Friday I do 3-6 sets of 10 to 12 repetitions or until fully depleted...

In fact...I'm late for my training!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    2x/week,only upper body (dips, pull-ups, push-ups, overhead press, etc) and deadlifts (to work posterior kinetic chain), plus core work. Takes me all of 30 minutes each workout. I keep sets and reps low with weights relatively high (2 sets x 5-10 reps with 225-250 lbs on deadlifts, for example, at a body weight of 140 or so) to maintain strength without hypertrophy or digging into reserves too much. Helps me to prevent injuries and balance out what the bike doesn't address.

Love doing dead lifts. Sounds like we have a pretty similar background. I'll still go to failure, but not as much on leg type training during season. Arms/chest/back/shoulders/core I can still manage to ride in good form from a days rest after doing so.
    I'll get my explosive compound type lifts in at least once a week. Like to get in dead lift, power clean and power snatch. In winter months I'll do them more, but like to keep a reserve on the legs for the bike this time of year.
    Whats your take on back extensions? I'll work them in at least once a week to get the work in similar to what i would get on dead lift for the lower back (erector spine, but correct me if I am wrong). Not the same by any means, but hey, not a bad alternative to save the legs some.
    Agree with proper form being key. I'll see guys in the gym all the time swinging heavy weights around they couldn't do with proper form just to try to act like they can put up bigger weight. Always wonder why they haven't gotten any results.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I stopped lifting on April 15th, which I planned. I planned to ride a lot more since then, but weather, work and family derailed a lot of my on the bike training, only have probably half of what I had last year, that being said, on the rides I have been doing, I notice a lot more strength in my climbing, but definitely lacking cardio. I've since been able( about 2 weeks now) to ride a little more, so I think things will get better.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post

So who's still lifting?
    Every Monday (legs) and Wednesday (everything else).