mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Iron Horse Azure Sport or Santa Cruz Superlight?

As bike prices are going up mid season this year, I'm thinking about buying an xc race / trail bike in the near future. I'm thinking about either the 2007 Iron Horse Azure Sport or the Santa Cruz Superlight D XC. While I know these are low spec bikes, I intend on upgrading the important bits as I go along. The price for me is fairly close, the Santa Cruz would cost me about $200 more (I'm sponsored at a bike shop). But it has better wheels, fork, and others. Eventually I'd plan up upgrading the bike to have a Reba or Recon, and other toys like that.

Iron Horse: http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.14552/.f

Santa Cruz: http://www.santacruzmtb.com/superlight/index.php?kits=1

I'm a big fan of DW link (I have a 7 point) , but I'm not opposed to the single pivot. I did a parking lot test ride of a heckler this afternoon, and it seemed like a pretty stable platform.

Opinions?

Thanks,

es

rad to the power of sick
    The Iron horse appears to be a more sophisticated design. (Less pedal feedback, more active while braking etc.) But Santa Cruz Superlights are the most beautiful bike in the world. Maybe im biased...

mtbr member
    I look long and hard at both these bikes as well as the Felt Virtue and the 08 Fuel EX and ended up with the EX.
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    go for the superlight, way better bike, iron horses aren't very good at all. ALso consider the Jamis, Dakar XCR comp/ expert are both very good bike, better componets at asimilar pice than sant cruz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delta567
    go for the superlight, way better bike, iron horses aren't very good at all.
    Really? Do tell why Iron Horses aren't good bikes. Maybe it's the DW-linkage, pretty much regarded as the most most efficient around and one that Giant flat out copied. Maybe it's the high bang-for-the-buck you get, trailing only Giant IMO. Maybe it's because the top man and woman downhiller in then world ride them to world championships each year. There's so many reasons why Iron Horses aren't very good at all.

I ride and race my Azure and am extremely happy with it barring two things: 1. Frame weight is slightly over 6 pounds. The superlight is 5.5 I believe. 2. You can't fit a 2.3 tire out back. Most 2.1s will fit though not a Nevegal which is really 2.2), but it's standard 23.1s and smaller only. That's it. Expect better pedaling than a single pivot like the SL and get out of the saddle with little bob.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr
    I did a parking lot test ride of a heckler this afternoon, and it seemed like a pretty stable platform.
    the heckler is MAGIC (ask anyone who owns one), and some of that magic translates to the superlight.

I'd vote for the SC, purely for emotional reasons. maybe logic dictates otherwise, I dunno

mtbr member
    It's just my opinion, i've never seen one with that great of a components pack for the price, but that doesn't mean you can't find one. The frames seem to be heavy, where as the Superlight is a good, srong, light bike, easier to resell too. I am sure the upper level iron horses aren't bad bikes, but, not being one of the more common brands, if you go to resell it, you may have trouble. You should consider looking at jamis too, price wize, they are a very good deal, and are a lighter bike, with better components for less money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delta567
    It's just my opinion, i've never seen one with that great of a components pack for the price, but that doesn't mean you can't find one. The frames seem to be heavy, where as the Superlight is a good, srong, light bike, easier to resell too. I am sure the upper level iron horses aren't bad bikes, but, not being one of the more common brands, if you go to resell it, you may have trouble. You should consider looking at jamis too, price wize, they are a very good deal, and are a lighter bike, with better components for less money.
    But when someone is looking for advice, you don't go on a forum like you have experience with one of his choices and say it's a bad bike when that's completely wrong. This is why this site is such a joke sometimes -- people offering advice with nothing to back it up. You like Jamis? Great. Don't degrade other brands just because you love your bike.