Thread: Intervals?

XC Hack
    Dec 2011

Intervals?

I've looked all over and there seems to be a gob of varying durations, frequencies, and intensities for weekly interval routines. What are some simple guidelines that are working for you? Or are they that complicated?

I'm "pretty fit" (I know, subjective), age 52 and into my second year of racing 50-plus beginners class, I ride only 1-2x per week. Anyway, I did intervals the other day: 30 min warm up, 3x 3 minutes each at 80-90% of max HR with 3-5 minutes between dropping my HR to 60-65% and a 15 minute cool down. Was this in the ballpark?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm no interval expert, but I wouldn't bother with complicated workouts unless you're riding 2x a week minimum. In my experience you're not going to get much gain riding once maybe twice a week. Do what you did above two or three times a week a few days apart and you'll see some gains, - I don't think you need to warm up that long.
    Beginner races are not long, so you don't need any endurance workouts, -if being a fast beginner is where you want to go. I was able to transfrom myself from very out of shape to 40-50s cat 2 podiums in a year and a half, riding just twice a week for the first year, I think I really started making gains when I went from 2 workouts a week to 3 or 4 back in December. My shortest rides are about 40min, longest are between 1.5 and 2 hours, with lots of short hard climbs (1 to 2 minute climbs). My workout rule is; no more than 3 days on the bike in a row, no more than 2 days off in a row.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post
    I've looked all over and there seems to be a gob of varying durations, frequencies, and intensities for weekly interval routines. What are some simple guidelines that are working for you? Or are they that complicated?

I'm "pretty fit" (I know, subjective), age 52 and into my second year of racing 50-plus beginners class, I ride only 1-2x per week. Anyway, I did intervals the other day: 30 min warm up, 3x 3 minutes each at 80-90% of max HR with 3-5 minutes between dropping my HR to 60-65% and a 15 minute cool down. Was this in the ballpark?

You can read about it here:

Joe Friel's Quick Guide to Setting*Zones - Posts - TrainingPeaks Blog

Coggan Power Zones - Power Training Levels by Andrew Coggan | TrainingPeaks

There is a good interval thread in the FAQ sticky:

Help create an interval list

At the level of racing in beginner class and only riding 1-2x per week it would probably be more beneficial for you to just ride more.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 04-19-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    You can read about it here:

At the level of racing in beginner class and only riding 1-2x per week it would probably be more beneficial for you to just ride more.
    Well said. By riding more you will develop your "engine." If you feel good ride faster, if you feel great ride fast and attack the other people with you or the hills, and you'll get stronger. Riding more than twice a week, even if it's for 30 minutes a couple of other days will be beneficial.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you are going to ride 1-2 days a week, longer race pace like simulation intervals better.

Don't use max hr for setting zones - use this test - was also mentioned above
    Joe Friel - Determining your LTHR

Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

see #2 below
    Peaks Coaching: Take Your Performance to the Next Level - Bike Rumor
    Last edited by scottz123; 04-21-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Ride yo bike more.

Im a cat 1 competing against and beating pros and dont even bother with that interval stuff. All I do is ride a lot.

Formal days for me are either fast group road rides, hard MTB rides, or sometimes ill go try to stomp some Strava segments on the road...

Point being, keep it fun. If you arent enjoying your workouts, you arent going to stick with them. If you are having fun, you will ride more, and ultimately you will get faster!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Guys, I got in 3 rides last week and already have 2 in this week and it's only Monday :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post
    Guys, I got in 3 rides last week and already have 2 in this week and it's only Monday :-)
    Good job!

Make sure you do not make to big of a leap with your weekly hours and/or rides. For example: 3hr on week 1, 4 hours week 2, etc

What my week consists of
    Preparing for first MTB race of the season
    Last edited by scottz123; 04-23-2013 at 04:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    keep doing 3x a week for a few months and you'll be surprised how must stronger you'll get.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Hours. On. Bike.

I agree with what most of the folks have said already...especially considering you may only have 2-3 days a week to ride.

I am not sure what sorta "effort" you put in, but perhaps throw in a few intense short efforts here and there on your rides.

This way, you can incorporate mini intervals within your longer rides...

Maybe 10 pedal revolutions at 100% effort separate times during a medium effort 2 hour ride. Scatter them into the ride throughout ride if the climbs are not doing it already for you. Try to do 6 to 10 of these...