mtbr member

Insurance for bike while travelling to races?

I am lucky enough to be headed off to the Cape Epic next spring! I am trying to find the best way of insuring my bike for the trip. If I get there and the airlines have lost it I am screwed... Travel insurance will only cover up to about $1,000 from what I have found. Anyone have any experience with homeowners insurance and riders or something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Homeowners insurance usually covers your bike if something happens to it. You don't need an additional rider for the bike, but you need to make sure there isn't an exclusion in the insurance for stuff like that. Basically, most homeowners insurances cover all your personal belongings except for stuff that is specifically excluded, like jewelry usually.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I work for an insurance office. Homeowner polices that we offer only cover a certain amount ie, 10,000 for jewerly, and so if you wanted additional limits for sporting goods you'd need to tell us so we can increase.

I have a seperate policy for my SJFSR which covers it from theft and loss, if I were to just lose it one day, they'd cover it. I pay less than $10 a month for this coverage.

CALL and ASK about the policy before just depending on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Dont forget about deductibles. A typical homeowners policy has a $500 or $1000 deductible and that will be subtracted from any settlement you receive if the bike is stolen.
    The seperate policy for the bike is a very good idea. Most are very cheap and have no deductible with them....at least the State Farm Personal Articles policy's don't.
    Find an agent and talk to them about it, but read the policy carefully and ask as many questions as you can so you know exactly what is covered and for how much.

Members who have read this thread: 0