mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Insanity DVD Series

Anyone use the Insanity DVD series as an offseason training regimen? I'm assuming it's the same as cross training/cross fit and can't hurt? Thoughts?
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    I purchased it... My wife has been doing it for a month and loves it(I like her results too.. LOL)

Unfortunately, I found out that the ceilings in my house are two low for me to do half the exercises(I'm 6'3")... So, back to the gym for me

Formerly of Kent
    Just don't do it in public. Some jackasses did that on our FOB in AFG and the resulting ridicule was horrendous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Just don't do it in public. Some jackasses did that on our FOB in AFG and the resulting ridicule was horrendous.
    So it's not considered a solid workout?
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not that my opinion is worth anything, but I think it is a solid workout. Fast paced, full body type workout where you get out of it what you put into it. I've used it off and on for a couple years now in the off-season (Dec-March) as a change of pace to the bike. The only issue I have is there are lots of jumping type moves that kill my knees/ ankles so I mix Insanity up with P90X2 workouts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree, but I have good joints. I am actually going to start P90X3 soon. I did P90X when it first came out but the 3rd edition is supposed to be 30 mins per session. Perfect for a family with a 2 yr old and a second on the way!
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    I lump all these workouts (crossfit, P90X, insanity, etc.) into one category: strength training.

I think it's a great thing to do in the winter as long as it's in conjunction to some bike riding; that's if being good at bike racing is your thing. (Great for a mental break from bike, weight control, bone density and muscle imbalance mitigation; it's definitely better than doing nothing and in some ways, better than just continuing bike riding).

Currently I'm doing a lot of strength work with a little bike work. In February I'll start switching it around to more bike work and less strength work. By Mid-March probably 100% bike work and just core exercises only. But I do a big base in summer for a CX concentration though, so I'm lagging behind the dedicated XC guys.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    I just started insanity yesterday. My plan is to mix the insanity dvd's with snow biking and the bike james kettle bell routine. The only thing sore today are my calves, from all the jumping around. And I second the "dont do it in public" thoughts. I felt stupid, and I'm pretty sure my dog thought I was nuts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    I agree, but I have good joints. I am actually going to start P90X3 soon. I did P90X when it first came out but the 3rd edition is supposed to be 30 mins per session. Perfect for a family with a 2 yr old and a second on the way!
    Yea, insanity and p90x are really good for cardio and strength. I was also looking at p90x3 since it's only 30min! Definitely great for a busy schedule. I'm ordering mine here- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...0x3-workout.do I also like poncharelli's idea of lumping the programs together! I'll definitely have to try that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You're better off using good old fashioned weight training to strengthen your core and the working systems used in cycling. Also, save your joints and do interval/sprint training on an airdyne/rower/bike. There is only so much strength to be gained from doing bodyweight excercises and jumping around at 1000mph only pounds your ankles, knees, hips and low back.

Break out some barbells and do deadlifts for a solid core and powerful glutes. Swing a kettlebell for explosive hips. Add some sprints and you've got yourself a spicey little workout routine that carries over big time on the bike! That's just a start.

PHASE TRAINING

FACEBOOK