Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Inguinal Hernia - Is surgery absolutely necessary?

Got a hernia in the groin, doc wants to operate right away. It is causing me Zero pain or discomfort. I know it wont heal itself, but i really dont want to do the surgery till it hurts or bothers me. The surgeon slipped and told me he waited 30 years to fix his? (funny he wants to operate right away $$)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sometimes hernias cause no bother for 30 or more years.

Sometimes they strangulate and in a few hours change a persons health from good (albeit with a hernia) to maybe a fatality unless they get extremely urgent surgery.

My doctor and surgeon both said if that were to happen you have around 4-6 hours before surgery must occur.

Different spot but mine got bigger so I had them fixed.

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    Get a second opinion, but ultimately you should be listening to a medical doctor and not a bunch of strangers on a mountain bike forum. This is a medical question that should not be left to the opinions of teachers, mechanics, engineers, etc..

But that is just my opinion

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ibexbiker
    Get a second opinion, but ultimately you should be listening to a medical doctor and not a bunch of strangers on a mountain bike forum. This is a medical question that should not be left to the opinions of teachers, mechanics, engineers, etc..

But that is just my opinion
    I know two doctors that have hernia's and wont operate till they cause discomfort! Plus, i trust mountain bikers more than Doctors, ha..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    An inguinal hernia involves the spermatic cord. Anything that close to the boys should be worked on!

Rip Van Winkle
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisadhs
    An inguinal hernia involves the spermatic cord. Anything that close to the boys should be worked on!
    Make a deposit before any work around them boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    29 inch wheels are a crutch for riders with sub-par skills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Get it done soon and you'll be back on your bike in no time. I had surgery Nov 22, I was back on my bike (trainer) by the end of the holidays and lifting weights mid Jan. A little pain after day 2 but no big deal, just really take it easy for a few weeks. Don't worry it will let you know right away what you can and can't do.....................

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    Well if you really trust mountain bikers more than your doc the majority of the replies are leaning towards getting the problem fixed, so there is your answer. It seems like you already have your mind made up and just want random strangers to agree with you? I could be wrong though, it would be the 349th time today according to my wife and son and it is only noon.

Are we there yet?
    Get it fixed, heal up for a few weeks and then it's behind you. I had both sides repaired as soon as they were detected. (years apart)

Since then, one side started causing me slight pain after a strenuous work out sometimes, but I still do everything I want without issue. The doctor is calling an additional repair "elective" at this point, which means I'd have to pay for it. I'm waiting until it interferes with my normal activities before having it repaired again. It's been years now with no change. The doc did warn me about getting in right away if it strangulates. I imagine you'd be in major pain and would know if that happened.

mtbr member
    If you are covered by insurance, I would deal with it sooner than later.

The only reason why I suggest this is because you could over-do some worksouts and cause some excessive damage where it could be too late.

Lets say you're out in the middle of nowhere and you decide to push it a little harder than you usually do and **** hits the fan? That's not a predicament I'd ever want to be in, assuming if it's preventable.

Safety>potential risk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I thought I could wait too, hurt end of Sept keep getting worse. I needed to wait because the company I work for was moving about 35 miles south and had to move and setup my equipment. That also made it worse. Very little weight lifting since Sept, but only hindered my riding slightly, sometimes I would stopon the trail to lay down to relieve the pain and shrink the hernia, but not often. Got mine done today lapo method. Started at 7:30 in recovery by 9:30, home at 1:00. Released from from hospital now getting ready to clean the bike from last night's ride. I had a great "final" ride, trails were the best they have been since our 1st snow Dec. 18th. Dr said I can ride in 2 weeks! I feel good enough to ride now, and that seems like a long time but I am going follow his advice. He's a very good Doc done about 1000 of these and only part time now so I'm glad I could get him. Trails should be gettingdryer and daylight savings begins Sunday!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Saw doc on Monday. Says I need to get it done. Have some events I want to do, so I'm gonna try to wait until Sept/Aug. I called and told them of my plan and was told it's o.k. as long as there's no significant change with it until then. If there is, then I would need to go ahead and get it done. I don't even notice it when I'm on the bike.

mtbr member
    As a racer/rider who loves to be ON the bike and has gone through similar scenarios it is best to be treated as soon as possible. Don't wait until the organ explodes catastophically out of its lining and you feel intolerable pain to get it fix. I waited with a similar issue because i thought i could deal with it or at least go with it until i actually needed a doctor, but it ended up to actually worsen my condition. Im sure he isn't just suggesting your visit for the money, just realize the longer you put it off the worse it may get and in the long run run you more $$$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    After having mine (lapo method) I wouldn't wait. It's not bad at all (so far). Next day after surgery and I feel good. Yesterday right after the surgery I cleaned the bike and walked the dog about a mile. Eating normally today and have had very little pain and no nausea. No pain meds have been needed and haven't bothered to fill the prescription. I had lots of people praying for a speedy recovery and very good experienced surgeon. I think I already feel better than before the surgery. I think I had been in more pain than I ever realized before the surgery since about Jan 1, tore it at the end of Sept. and it kept getting worse. Surgery Mar 9 Tue, should return to work Mon Mar 15 and ride Mar 23 (two weeks).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hiked to the top of the mountain today 1200 ft, 1.5 miles up. Feeling better by the minute. Waiting until March 23rd now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Went back to work Mar 12, no problems. Rode yesterday, Mar 20, 11 days after surgery did 20.6 miles. Felt great, trails were great. I'm just being a little bit more careful doctor told me I could ride something other than mountain biking with no steep climbs no straining or bumping anything well I did mtb and climb but dismounted to keep safe at a very few spots.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My plan to wait until later in the fall didn't work out. Haven't really been bothered by it until playing drums on a gig last weekend. That's when it actually hurt. Can't go with that, so I'm scheduled for lapro on the 7th. I guess that century event I was gonna do on May 2nd is out. Probably just focus my attention on ORAMM in July.

mtbr member
    I had pain while playing soccer, but I think it should be fixed even without pain. Heck they checked for it every year (turn your head and cough) when I was playing in collage, so I figure it is a pretty big deal.

Oh, for those who say it didn't hurt too much, well I have to say it hurt like hell for me, but that is because I did not take enough Vicadin (sp?) the night after the surgery. It turned out I was only taking half my medication....ahhhhh much better.
    It did heal up fast and I was back on the field not long after.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Getting it done tomorrow a.m. Really bummed that it's gonna put my fitness in reverse for a while. I had just started hitting my avg. number goals over the past few weeks. I've read everything thing from "back on the bike in 6 days" to "couldn't really do much for 6 weeks". I'm hoping to be back on the road bike in as short a time as possible. Guess I'll just have to see how I feel after the procedure.

mtbr member
    good to hear! it is all better in the long run.. hope all goes well

mtbr member
    Better to be out a shorter period of time by controlling the situation before it gets worse and you are out for a much longer period of time/indefinitly.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I lost as much or more before the surgery due to holding back/pain and riding in lower gears. Surgery on March 9th, 130 mountain miles since with two wipe outs. I'm now riding everything I was before and still getting stronger. You shouldn't have any problem getting back quick.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Surgery 7:15a.m. lasted 1:40 minutes. Back at the house by 12:30, slept until 5:45p.m. Getting ready to eat some soup and start the recovery process. Curious if the recovery process will cause me to gain weight from being not as active. Hope not!

mtbr member
    Find out the max allowable pain medication. You may not need it, but I did on the following morning. After that first morning, I was fine. I've never given it a single thought since. Heal quick and get back out there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    They prescribed Percocet. I don't do well with Vicadin. Haven't taken any. I am sore, but have a high pain tolerence. Biggest bother is the constipation. Gonna move about some today and go for some walks this weekend. See the doc next week, and hopefully go for an easy spin on the roadie after that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast