mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Indoor training time

I thought I read somewhere that 48 minutes on an indoor trainer equals about an hours' worth of ride time outdoors. Does this sound about right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Indoor training time, do you live in Siberia? I probably live like a 1000 miles north of you, its fall riding time baby. Reading a post on indoor trainers is kind of like going to Costco right now and seeing the Christmas stuff.
    I dont buy into the trainer equals ??? stuff, too many variables to really get a precise answer, the first hour on my loop (from the house) is continuous pedaling no breaks, climbing hills etc so i dont think it would apply to me. Try to view it as maintenance and probably a break for your body if you only ride trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, I just really *hate* riding road. It's a distraction to be constantly looking over my shoulder ... even here in the country/rural area. No fun. If I can't do trail, then I'd rather figure out something else to do. Unfortunately, the nearest trail to me is 50 minutes away. Bummer.

Secondly, I'm the only early riser in my household, so I can get done with my "basement miles" before the rest of the family comes alive. I'm most productive in the AM anyway.

Without sounding too much like a goofball, I find that riding the trainer allows me to pinpoint certain cadences and HR zones much easier than road riding. I just put on some tunes, do something somewhat structured and 90 minutes goes by quick. I've always enjoyed trainer time!

mtbr member
    I'm the opposite, dont mind road riding but hate the trainer! I dont think I can bring myself to do base miles on trainer, I can do intervals but thats about all.

mtbr member
    I would put it the other way. an hour on the trainer is worth about 1/2 hour on the road. I find it really hard to push on the trainer although my heart rate goes up plenty.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Can't feel my legs
    To answer your question, it depends on you. For most people, trainers are a form of torture, as you can see from the replies above. If you approach it in this way, the work out is a waste of time. But, if you don't mind it, you can come up with a program that will inprove your fitness greatly. I, for one, feel I get more of a return than you state. Others, may get far less, and maybe none.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you do a good trainer ride it is harder than a road ride. During your time on the trainer you never stop pedaling. Even on a flat road ride it is amazing on how much more varied you power output is.

But seriously man. Trainer, right now? Are you insane

I know it looks stupid (I would never be caught dead with one on) but a mirror on the bike or your helmet can make you much more comfortable on the road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i wouldn't call trainers torture ,although they are probabely in one of the lesser levels of hell. I have a schwinn airdyne that i got last year when i broke my leg,i like that sometimes ,i left it with regular pedals so i just get on it in regular cloths and go for a few minutes. BUT i also have a set of rollers, i built a set of floating frames that are amazing, tons of skateboard parts on this one, the side rollers that keep you from riding off,more importantly keep you from panicking if you get close to the sides,very nice. I need to add some resistance,maybe a fan attachment. It rained two days in a row last week ,i was on the rollers, i have a rain bike for summer rain days but once the temps drop,it's indoor riding on the porch,watching the rain. Fans, i was reading that overheating yourself indoors is the worst thing, i don't think it's all that bad ,but the article explained that over heating and sweating gallons isn't really making your muscles stronger.Maybe you learn to suffer, but that's a different story.

mtbr member
    1 minute on the trainer equals about 4 hours mental torture. The thought of the trainer still makes me sick. Time is coming though. I have a new powermeter this year so maybe that will make it more interesting.

New MTB XC Racer
    I pretty new to riding/racing. I am not a big fan of rear wheel trainers but hammering on the rollers with the mp3s cranked for 1:30 is not too bad. More than that my butt hurts more than when I do a 24 hr mtb race solo Doh!!!

Want some stationary fun, try this ! ! !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKEHoA_xl-U

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by Rum Runner; 09-20-2009 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    I think my issue is that I like to see some type of accomplishment while riding. On the road, i see trees going by, gaining distance, getting to the end of one road and on to another. on the trainer, nothing moves and all i can judge by is minutes gone by. I turn on the tv, but then I lose focus of what i'm supposed to be doing. i've used some of those interval videos, but thats only good for a short while, and not really what I need for winter.

I enjoy spin classes, nice and challenging, but again thats the wrong type of training for winter.

Lucky for me, the race season down here doesnt end until late October, and picks up again in March. But that means logging a ton of miles in Jan and Feb.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner
    I pretty new to riding/racing. I am not a big fan of rear wheel trainers but hammering on the rollers with the mps cranked for 1:30 is not too bad. More than that my but hurts more than when I do a 24 hr mtb race solo Doh!!!

Want some stationary fun, try this ! ! !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKEHoA_xl-U

Cheers,
    Paul
    Does Fred Flinstone know that guy stole his trainner?

New MTB XC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2
    I think my issue is that I like to see some type of accomplishment while riding. On the road, i see trees going by, gaining distance, getting to the end of one road and on to another. on the trainer, nothing moves and all i can judge by is minutes gone by.
    I've added a Heart Rate Monitor and I find that its a great tool for the trainer.

Cheers,
    Paul

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxson
    I thought I read somewhere that 48 minutes on an indoor trainer equals about an hours' worth of ride time outdoors. Does this sound about right?
    People are just looking for excuses to get off the trainer sooner.

It all depends on how you ride the trainer, and how hard you push yourself.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Trainers are tough, an hour seems like 2 hours of road time to me and I think that is why there is some "conversion schedule" out there. I live in the Denver area so it is pretty easy to ride outside year round with the occasional few days of trainer time needed during cold snaps or big snows. The older I get the less I am willing to ride the trainer. If it is November or December and I'm only going to miss 1-2 workouts then I won't hop on the trainer. If it is a big storm/cold snap I'll ride, but limit it to 1:00 because it bores me to no end.

Closer to races the more likely I am to ride the trainer to keep fitness up, but no matter what 1 hour is 1 hour. It is what you do with that time that matters.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It is a more continuous workout. There are no stop signs, no stop lights, no cars, etc. so it is more focused than a road ride might be. So, you can say it's generally about 75% of the time, but it really is up to you. Does 12 minutes one way or the other make or break a ride?

Masters' class Clydesdale
    I have limited off road areas to ride in my area so I'm looking to make a set of those log rollers, I think that would keep it interesting! Anyone have plans??

You don't want to ride the roads around here because the drivers are the worst in Ontario, or a close second anyways. Unfortunately, the town of LaSalle is banning bicycles at one of the better places to ride in my area (Brunette Park) so now we have one less option. We even went to the town council meeting to prevent it but no dice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm already using my trainer for several reasons.
    I had to work 12 shifts in a welding shop in July for 3 weeks, then I had a back injury for roughly a month, and now the kids are back in school which alters my schedule. During the down time I lost all the fitness I built up last spring and early summer. So instead of going out and embarassing myself on the road or trail, I'm focusing on getting use to pedaling and losing weight. Some days I ride the trainer for 1 1/2 hours to focus on simulating long rides on the road. Some days I ride for an hour and do intervals. If I'm sore and too tire I do a simple spin to keep the legs moving for maybe 20 - 30 minutes.
    I know the trainer can be boring as hell so here are my tips for what they are worth.
    Use a video. Something like Paris Roubaix. Pedal as hard as you can when they hit the cobbles and recover when they are on the smooth roads.
    Don't watch a movie.
    If video isn't available then fine some your favorite music and enjoy.
    You can maintain and build up some valuable fitness on the trainer. Find your strength on the trail or road.
    Good luck

Brant-C.
    2008 was my strongest year due to trainer sessions during the winter months...

didn't get to ride trainer as much this year due to a new born (number 3)...

will do better this coming winter though. if it's raining and i want/need to ride i do the trainer.

also going to get rollers this year...
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It rained so much this summer that I rode my trainer just to get my ride time in each week. Love the trainer and push myself way harder on it then I do on a solo road ride. I find I get a much more structured workout in and can focus more on what I am doing instead of worrying about all the crazy A-holes on the road.
    High on Life

Masters' class Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyharris
    So instead of going out and embarassing myself on the road or trail, I'm focusing on getting use to pedaling and losing weight.
    I hear ya, I've had 4 surgeries and numerous procedures over the last 5 years so that's where I'm at too. No where near my previous fitness level but I'm trying as I feel better.
    Tighten it 'til it strips - then back it off a quarter turn

MTB Name = The Executioner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxson
    Yes, pretty close. I believe it is a Carmichael rule of thumb.

I use 50 minutes trainer = 1 hour outside, which makes the math easier.

He concluded this relationship from looking at indoor and outdoor power files over the years. Results in similar resultant kilojoules.

BTW, I think I rode my rollers several times this July, while watching the TDF after work. Didn't have time to ride and watch the tour separately, so I killed two birds with one stone.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    1 minute on the trainer equals about 4 hours mental torture. The thought of the trainer still makes me sick. Time is coming though. I have a new powermeter this year so maybe that will make it more interesting.
    ha ha ha. ya.

I think the rule is that 48 minutes on the trainer feels like about 10 hours.

on the road or on the trail there are things to distract you, cars, curbs, rocks, crack, corners, hills, dog-walkers etc... all of these distractions are at least a minor form of mental stimulation. I can ride on the road or on the trail for 2 hours and not even notice the time go by. especially when trail riding i'm thinking about keeping the bike upright and getting over obstacles. on the trainer i'm just thinking "god when will this end."